Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:01:45 AM EDT
I have been seeing more and more articles about people not paying their government rent property taxes for years and years, sometimes 20-30. At what stage does the government get involved?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never ignored one. <<sigh>>
And I'm afraid of the next one I am gonna get (re-assessed last week).
If it goes up, I plan to go to the next council meeting and ask plainly, "Why in God's name would you tax those NOT foreclosed upon more? Are you TRYING to get the city to absorb MORE useless property?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine went down $200/yr.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Two years in Ohio.  First thing they'll do, if they are any good at all, will be to contact your mortgage company.  If that doesn't work, then it's pretty easy to file foreclosure in Ohio.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it goes up, I plan to go to the next council meeting and ask plainly, "Why in God's name would you tax those NOT foreclosed upon more? Are you TRYING to get the city to absorb MORE useless property?"

That's why I'm asking. They decided to raise mine from 8k a year (what they told me it would be) to 11k, by inflating my house's value. I fought it and PROVED beyond any shadow of a doubt that my house didn't nearly double in value, and in fact lost value. Well, they decided to ignore my pleas. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two years in Ohio.  First thing they'll do, if they are any good at all, will be to contact your mortgage company.  If that doesn't work, then it's pretty easy to file foreclosure in Ohio.

I'll burn the mother fucker down. I own the fucking house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can still foreclose the land and the ash pile.  The penalties and interest can really whallop you as well.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go that far, you'd be screwing yourself.  

Most places have an appeal process.  I'd look at that first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They can still foreclose the land and the ash pile.  The penalties and interest can really whallop you as well.  

Honesty, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, I don't care anymore. I've fucking had it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did. Apparently my house nearly doubled in value. Yea, I fucking bet it did.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I'm asking. They decided to raise mine from 8k a year (what they told me it would be) to 11k, by inflating my house's value. I fought it and PROVED beyond any shadow of a doubt that my house didn't nearly double in value, and in fact lost value. Well, they decided to ignore my pleas. Fuck them.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?

11K for property taxes? Do you own a 20,000sq/ft mansion?

Talk about ass raping. How about sell it and move.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't sell it even if I wanted to. I love this house, but no one is going to buy an expensive house in this economy in a rural area, and these cocksuckers are trying to tell me I should be HAPPY my house "went up in value"

The government just basically stole a Rugger SR556 from me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]
They just lowered our property "taxes", but started charging new monthly "fees".

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't burn it. They'll get you for arson. Bulldoze it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 MA doesn't even open your cornhole like that unless you live in a mansion.

My real estate taxes were <$1,300 this year on about a $250k assessed value... (essentially no services in this county)

Also, if you're delinquent here, they print your name and the tax owed in the local paper...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My real estate taxes were <$1,300 this year on about a $250k assessed value... (essentially no services in this county)

this includes a sub-property. Regardless, I don't care if my taxes went up 100 bucks. It's still theft. Hell, it's arguably theft to begin with, but to tell me my property value WENT UP? In rural Ohio?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, if you're delinquent here, they print your name and the tax owed in the local paper...

Must be that mid west common sense way of doin' things.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine is paying 5k and his house is far from a mansion. Mine includes a somewhat expensive house and another property I'm paying on. No, I don't live in a mansion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have been seeing more and more articles about people not paying their government rent property taxes for years and years, sometimes 20-30. At what stage does the government get involved?

One year usually.  Many counties sell unpaid property tax certificates to investors who pay the .gov the tax due, and then the investor liens the property until the tax amount plus interest is paid.  The investor, after a proscribed period of time can foreclose on the property if he doesn't get paid.

Don't ignore your property tax bill.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A friend of mine is paying 5k and his house is far from a mansion. Mine includes a somewhat expensive house and another property I'm paying on. No, I don't live in a mansion.

California, teh debbil of the world, does not tax that high, not even close.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought these prices were fairly common. Hell, before I bought this house, I was paying 3600 or so a year for a 150k house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't sell it even if I wanted to. I love this house, but no one is going to buy an expensive house in this economy in a rural area, and these cocksuckers are trying to tell me I should be HAPPY my house "went up in value"

The government just basically stole a Rugger SR556 from me.

Have you taken it to the Board of Revision yet?  Did they even mention that down at the County Auditor's office?  A BOR complaint is easy enough to file.  While the complaint is pending you can offer up a tax tender to the Treasurer roughly equal to half a year's tax based on your claimed value and they cannot charge penalty.  I'll betcha they didn't mention the tender either.  How many acres do you have?  You can save some money there some times.  

You don't have to take their word for anything.  Every last cent of valuation has to be documented.  Now if your tax rates are through the roof, then you are screwed because some people will vote for levies that make my head spin.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask them if they think that they'll get that doubled value for it on the courthouse steps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask them if they think that they'll get that doubled value for it on the courthouse steps.

They're going to have themselves a very expensive urn here in about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought these prices were fairly common. Hell, before I bought this house, I was paying 3600 or so a year for a 150k house.

Not in California.

Proposition 13, 1978, now a part of the California State Constitution, limits all property taxes to 1% of the assessed value of the property.  Taxes on a $150,000 house are limited to $1,500 per year.  

You would have to live on $1,100,000 worth of property to be charged what you are being charged now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And (if you burn it down in leiu of forclosure) you will go to jail for arson....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You would have to live on $1,100,000 worth of property to be charged what you are being charged now.

Well that's not particularly hard to do when you have an house with a lot of equity and have a sub-property with structures as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And (if you burn it down in leiu of forclosure) you will go to jail for arson....

No I won't, and you can take that to the bank.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in California.

Proposition 13, 1978, now a part of the California State Constitution, limits all property taxes to 1% of the assessed value of the property.  Taxes on a $150,000 house are limited to $1,500 per year.  

That is the one nice thing about the Pacific Coast...

My property taxes are in that same range ($1300/yr for a 150k house)....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The old fear jail  and comply routine
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's not particularly hard to do when you have an house with a lot of equity and have a sub-property with structures as well.

Around here it's not hard to do if you have a three bedroom house and a garage.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know about property tax. But, after a few years of not paying personal property tax in VA, they send you some mean letters. Then they refuse to let you renew your license and tags without paying up first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here it's not hard to do if you have a three bedroom house and a garage.

yea that's probably true
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll show 'em!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Around here, if you are two years behind, they can take your house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He could probably get the fire department to do the honors for him.  Now that would be classic irony.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

As if there is a legitimate reason not to pay your property taxes, or to destroy someone else's property because they forclosed on you?

There isn't one...

Then again, given that the OP has actively engaged in helping someone he works with hide a car from repo agents & posted it here.... It's about what I'd expect from him...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As if there is a legitimate reason not to pay your property taxes, or to destroy someone else's property because they forclosed on you?

There isn't one...

Then again, given that the OP has actively engaged in helping someone he works with hide a car from repo agents & posted it here.... It's about what I'd expect from him...

He said that he owns the house.

ETA  I'm taking that as he has it "paid off"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in California.

That's because CA gets its tax from you other ways.  Namely, one of the highest state income taxes in the nation.  Don't know about OH but in TX all the schools are funded through prop taxes.  Still I think it's too high.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't one...

It's my fucking house. WHO THE FUCK'S PROPERTY WOULD I BE DESTROYING? I BOUGHT THE FUCKING HOUSE. Shut your fucking mouth. God damn someone needs to beat your ass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll do that for you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll do that for you.

yea... yea they probably would. Or no, wait. I will have burnt myself up in it of course
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#42]
FYI - remember to line your windows with Chicken wire, because it will defect the tear gas and stun grenades the police shoot into your house

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Move to the country and put a few cows in the pasture.  AG EXEMPTION for the MFW!!!

My tax bill on the 5.25 acres in AG is like $4 or something.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Move to the country and put a few cows in the pasture.  AG EXEMPTION for the MFW!!!

My tax bill on the 5.25 acres in AG is like $4 or something.

holy shit that's a good idea. I wonder how long such an exemption takes to go into effect.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I pay ours a little late every year and accept the small penalty fee in exchange for paying it when I want.

It's kind of dumb expecting property taxes to be paid around Christmas and new years, but that's the schedule.

I could, of course, save the money and pay it ahead of time instead of late, but that's the easy way.

I wonder how many people will cease paying in the long-term over the next few years. It seems to me this is a sure way to get the man involved in your life unnecessarily.   Unless there's a widespread protest and such.

I think of Shay's Rebellion and such. NOT exactly the same, but the sentiment would be similar.  

Of course that's the sort of thing that encouraged the founding fathers to strengthen the federal gov into what everybody criticizes Dave_A for supporting.

YMMV when it comes to .gov.

Gilt/Joe
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Not sure, but if you don't pay your taxes, Obama gives you a cabinet post!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not sure, but if you don't pay your taxes, Obama gives you a cabinet post!

My future is bright indeed!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I pay ours a little late every year and accept the small penalty fee in exchange for paying it when I want.

It's kind of dumb expecting property taxes to be paid around Christmas and new years, but that's the schedule.

I could, of course, save the money and pay it ahead of time instead of late, but that's the easy way.

I wonder how many people will cease paying in the long-term over the next few years. It seems to me this is a sure way to get the man involved in your life unnecessarily.   Unless there's a widespread protest and such.

I think of Shay's Rebellion and such. NOT exactly the same, but the sentiment would be similar.  

Of course that's the sort of thing that encouraged the founding fathers to strengthen the federal gov into what everybody criticizes Dave_A for supporting.

YMMV when it comes to .gov.

Gilt/Joe

It's not about rebellion, or being a martyr. I'm being stolen from, and I'm damn tired of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I thought that in most areas the property has to go to sheriff's sale.

At that point you can still bid on your own property with the government only getting what is owed it and you/bank the rest.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Can you pay in cash?

What if they money was left accidentally for a few weeks in somewhere like, oh I don't know, maybe a pig barn...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top