Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 4:27:45 PM EDT
This thread has got me thinking. How many police wear a vest and how much protection does it offer? If you don't wear one, why not?

I'm not sure if Sgt. Harrison was wearing a vest or not, but the news article says he was shot in the upper torso.

Stay Safe.

As a side note, condolences to anyone that knew Sgt. Harrison. Its sad to see something like this happen in a place where i lived for so long and even worse that it was some young racist POS that did the shooting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i always wear mine while on duty.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Not enough! I have a friend who is a leo and he will not wear one. He says they are too hot plus he is a big guy. He works in COPS, so he is always on his feet or riding a bicycle.

The Deputy that was killed is just sensless. Damn. Just damn.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
They are hot but you get used to it after awhile.  I'm out of uniform now but I never walked out of my house with the uniform on without the vest underneath.

It is required by my department now.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Too many I know dont wear when its hot
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This thread has got me thinking. How many police wear a vest and how much protection does it offer? If you don't wear one, why not?

In most departments vests are mandated by policy. They are usually soft IIIA (or below) vests. IIIA will stop up to .44 magnum.

Some departments (like some campus police departments) can't afford them.

SWAT ninjas use level IV vests on raids usually. Level IV will stop up to 7.62 rifle AP rounds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Too many I know dont wear when its hot

I don't, try wearing a vest all day when its 105 deg outside and you're standing in the sun.  If its my time to secure, God knows I did my best.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I always wear my vest on duty. They are a bit stiff and heavy but the extra protection is worth it. My vest is a level 3 or 3a? anyway it will stop a 44 mag., a 12 ga. slug/buckshot, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear mine but despise it....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top