Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 11:25:45 PM EDT
I just got off a 21 hour job.  I didn't get paid any more than normal, its all in a days work I guess.  I am curious how many others do the same?  Why do you do it?  The job, money, long weekends...?

I work as a field engineer in the oil & gas industry.  I did it because it was interesting and is great engineering experience for me.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Military
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes I work 0 hours per week, sometimes it's 90 hrs.  Same pay but I do not complain.  When it's good it's good, when it sucks it's still good!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My "fun little" job gets crazy for 10 weeks of the year. During those weeks I only have 4-5 total days off, and spend hours every day preparing, communicating, planning, data entry, scheduling, meetings and on and on. Its not uncommon for me to "work" 15 hours a day, every day then....even though my time at "work" is only 4 hours a day during that period.

I am paid salary, and am paid at the same rate in July, as I make in Dec...when I only work 10 days, and 20 hours total.

Funny though. I prefer my job in July. I love the chaos.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I wore a uniform for 15 years. I equate shift work with uniforms and since 1996 refuse to work such hours. Now I set my own hours except for 1 day a week. If I work 15 hours today I adjust my schedule so at the 2 week mark I'm at 80 hours. When I wake up and I decide I want to sleep in or go fishing or just take the day off I can as long as I have 80 hours for 2 weeks. I can either use vacation, sick or comp just as long as 80 hours is there. My job is at times stressful but at this point I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Life is to short to work your ass off for someone else who don't give a shit about you. If you are young learn as many trades possible cause when you get older you can rely on those trades to make a living. I hope you find a job you will enjoy and not have to slave over for a buck......"LIFE IS A JOKE, UNTIL YOU FIND THE ANSWER"

FOIHEF

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wore a uniform for 15 years. I equate shift work with uniforms and since 1996 refuse to work such hours. Now I set my own hours except for 1 day a week. If I work 15 hours today I adjust my schedule so at the 2 week mark I'm at 80 hours. When I wake up and I decide I want to sleep in or go fishing or just take the day off I can as long as I have 80 hours for 2 weeks. I can either use vacation, sick or comp just as long as 80 hours is there. My job is at times stressful but at this point I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Life is to short to work your ass off for someone else who don't give a shit about you. If you are young learn as many trades possible cause when you get older you can rely on those trades to make a living. I hope you find a job you will enjoy and not have to slave over for a buck......"LIFE IS A JOKE, UNTIL YOU FIND THE ANSWER"

FOIHEF

Learning takes hard work and usually money.  This job I have now is essentially a tough introduction to my industry.  Later on, there are other options.  For that matter, my field experience will make me valuable to other engineering companies out of the field.  

I enjoy my job.  The hours are just crazy.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Engineer at a Contract Manufacturer.  Somedays you go home at 5pm.  Somedays 5 AM.  Currently working Sats and sometimes Suns.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a Managed IT services company. Sometimes I work only half days; I get to pick which 12 hours.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Engineer at a Contract Manufacturer.  Somedays you go home at 5pm.  Somedays 5 AM.  Currently working Sats and sometimes Suns.

Yeah, but at least you don't need to fly in a tin tube all over creation at God-awful hours.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I always work 8-5 unless there is a meeting held at 4 which runs over till 6 pm because the company idiot has to ask every stupid question under the sun.

Then I am on call in the event the servers fail which doesnt happen often but at 2 am when they do fail my cell goes off, computer turns on, car starts,
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Truck driver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]
only if they wanted to pay me time and a half after 8 hours and double time after 16 hours
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I do.

Last week was one of my worst weeks hours-wise at my job. I worked 56 hours last week - and they gave me Friday off... It was awful.

FWIW I am in advertising. I joke that my cousin - who is a DOCTOR and is on call 24/7 - has a better, more predictable homelife than I do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#16]

I'm on call for my job for about one week a month.

This month I'm on call for Christmas and New Years' Day.  Unfortunately, not much happens on holidays so I'll still have to go to the Christmas party for my wife's family.  (j/k if you're reading, dear)
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Navy Chief
I do it because I love what I do.  I'm on call 24/7/365 and always have a uniform ready to go and a bag at least half packed.  It all comes out in the wash though since when nothing is going on I pretty much come and go as I please.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually I think this is pretty common.

I once worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 6 weeks.  Taught me a lot.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#19]
railroad conductor hit or miss on hours per month paid by the hour but on call 24 hours a day 365 days a year.  jun,julaug,sep, oct this year I averaged over 340 hours a month nov I was lucky to get 120 hours for the month now dec I've only worked a total of 17 hours.  

Only good thing is I get 7 sick days a month because the job I am on doesn't have any off days.  I enjoy my job but it gets tiring trying to make money and you can't go out and have fun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Structural steel/ welding inspector

I have and will work for 45-60 days 10+ hours a day with out a day off

but on the other hand I will also gladly work a 40 work week as long as the pay is right

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]
After 25 yrs in the Military, I am an IT Director at a Not for profit agency.  I work from 6 AM in the morning to about 2:00 - 2:30 PM.  During the summer I am on the Golf course at 2:45 or at the outdoor range (if I don't have a golf match).  During the winter I am at the Indoor range at 2:45 making ragged holes.      
Whoa..  I am late    I gotta go!!!!

I love my job !!!!  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#22]
It's called grad school.  90 hours/week, little or no pay, and my advisor says that if my wife isn't mad at me, I'm not spending enough time in the lab.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Military

+1
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Try being a railroader in pool service or on a road extra board. You get a 2 hour call to go to work and usually don't know if you will be gone for 1 day or 3.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I work in the oil field, I have a retaining salary(they call it monthly salary) but is designed to keep us on the payroll when it is slow.
When I am at a rig, I work usually 12 -24 hours. When Im home I am home to do as I please.
I just got back to work last friday after a nice month off work. Enjoyed the kids and Tday etc. One great benefit of my job.

Money kicks ass too when im working.

Also I have no schedule, I can be gone a few days to a month or more when I leave wth about a days notice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#26]
TV is a bitch of a mistress... Get calls at anytime of the day or nite... Weekends...Holidays... There always has to be a picture on the box... 50 hour weeks are the low side, 60 hour weeks are not uncommon at all. Of course your always trying to get stuff done at home too, Get home, work on a piece and hope it finishes rendering by the time ya get up..... Rarely if ever get a normal holiday off.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]
On call 24/7. Actual average hours worked per week is only about 10.  At first it was great to get full time wages for very little work, but after 5 years of it , it's old. I can never plan anything without there being a chance I will have to work. I'm starting to think I would rather work 40 and have 2 days that I know will be mine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I do.

Last week was one of my worst weeks hours-wise at my job. I worked 56 hours last week - and they gave me Friday off... It was awful.

FWIW I am in advertising. I joke that my cousin - who is a DOCTOR and is on call 24/7 - has a better, more predictable homelife than I do.

56 hours?  Sarcasm, right?

I'll usually do about 60-70 hours a week for a couple of months, then drop down to around 30 a week for a month or so, then back up.  I've worked 12 hours plus a day for the last two weeks without a day off.  But I have fun, so it's worth it.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just got off a 21 hour job.  I didn't get paid any more than normal, its all in a days work I guess.  I am curious how many others do the same?  Why do you do it?  The job, money, long weekends...?

I work as a field engineer in the oil & gas industry.  I did it because it was interesting and is great engineering experience for me.  

I used to do that sort of thing too.  I never really considered why.  Maybe just a good work ethic.  It paid off with some nice surprise $$$  bonuses.  Hopefully your effort will be recognized by your employer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to do that sort of thing too.  I never really considered why.  Maybe just a good work ethic.  It paid off with some nice surprise $$$  bonuses.  Hopefully your effort will be recognized by your employer.

More likely I will be noticed by our customers.  They kinda expect everybody in the field to kick ass no matter what.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but at least you don't need to fly in a tin tube all over creation at God-awful hours.

They've got me commuting to factories as a "transition" engineer right now.  At least it's US flights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top