Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2003 4:29:06 PM EDT
How many of you want to leave to another room after a short period of time with your family during the Holidays? I ate dinner with the family and did the whole opening presents thing. After that I wanted to get away, so I went into the computer room and got on arfcom. I feel more comfortable by myself. Lets here from the "Holiday Loners"
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:30:54 PM EDT
I love my family.

I also live about an hour away from the parents.

Yes, I'm in my own place right now. Went up yesterday, spent the night, came back home this afternoon.

I love them...but being an hour away, and that I can see them at least 1x a month?...

Had to escape [:)]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2003 4:39:27 PM EDT by ShamusMcOI]
I know what you mean.

That's why me and the wife have made it a tradition to spend holidays alone (especially christmas).

And really, I don't care how the family feels about it.

More and more, I care less and less about doing things to make other people happy, when it does nothing for me.

Am I a bastard for that?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:53:51 PM EDT
My wife and kids are pretty much the only ones I much care for being around. We had some close friends over today also but I keep my associates limited. After gift opening I went snowmobiling with my daughters fiance, took my dog out in the woods and plinked with my Glock a little. Good day for me.

My grandmother died at age 90 this past week and we had the funeral on monday. Spending 2 days with my extended family was more than I could stand though and only served to remind me of how precious my time alone is.
Love the forest myself. It's like a cathredal out there and I don't ever seem to get enough of it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:58:56 PM EDT
12 hours is my limit usually. They are good people an all but I just need down time.

Tomorrow I am taking a bunch of relations to see Cold Mountain.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:50:11 PM EDT
Well, you do live in Colorado. Tell them to look out the window and save your money. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:17:49 PM EDT
I love my family too but I also love peace and quiet.  And working 50 hours a week, a full time student, and a senior project, I need the rest more then I need to see the family.

I'm spending my short time home completely with them so when I go home tommorrow, there are no complaints.
Merry Christmas

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:30:40 PM EDT
CAPITALIST:
After that I wanted to get away, so I went into the computer room and got on arfcom.
View Quote

Same here. [BD]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:40:13 PM EDT
I get like that sometimes, but this was my first Christmas without any family besides my wife (who is sick).  It made me sad, and I wish more than anything I could have been with them.  They won't live forever, and I don't want to take my time with them for granted.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2003 9:47:41 PM EDT by big_guy]
I've been like that all month. I've been having some problems at work, and because of that Ive probably been a cranky bastard at home too. But I don't like crowds in general, whether I'm related to them or not.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:50:58 PM EDT
I managed to mostly avoid them - that was alright!!!

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:53:03 PM EDT
I tried to get away a bunch of times, but my wife kept finding me! [;D]

Really, my son and his girlfriend came over and we had a great time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:33:04 PM EDT
The "in-laws" really get to me after about an hour or so.  After the allotted amount of time is up, I start signaling(sp) the wife that it is time to go.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:44:54 PM EDT
Spent Christmas with 2 of my Wife's brothers and their children. After 3-4 hrs I had enough and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. It was a better Christmas last year as we spent it with my Son in California and we didn't have to see anyone else. I'm not a loner or recluse but having to listen to them whine is too much! I like being home with the Mrs and Daughter as we had a wonderfull Christmas morning together. BobK
Top Top