Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 2:58:03 PM EDT
I have been watching and waiting on a tracked package that dissapeared off the tracking radar in Greensboro NC, It was supposed to be here on the Ninth, but it's tracking signature went poof on the sixth in Greensboro. I have contacted the shipper, but can not get anything done about it till Monday.
What is there that I or the shipper can do? Obviously it was a firearm, but how screwed are we? Do UPS claims take forever, what about the police?

Edit to add: It was 9 days late, but not dammaged. Go figure... Also. it was off their radar the whole time.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one stolen disappear in Texas after being sent there instead of PA (the other identical package somehow took the same detour and made it here a week late.

Try this site for delightful tales of UPS woe:

unitedpackagesmashers.com/bbs/

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They lost a used SIG P230 sent to FORDs for refinishing for me.  UPS paid me $500 for it.  I bought a new SIG 228 with the insurance money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate UPS.

Coupla Christmas' ago, a member here sent me Wilson mags.

UPS delievered it to my neighbor.

Guess a coupla days after Christmas, somehow ARFCOM'er asked me about the gift (I can't renember exactly how this transpired)

Anyway, I tell him I don't have it.

I contact UPS.  They tell me I signed for it.  I said, "Nope wasn't me."

Bottom line: UPS said their records indicated I signed for it, there was nothing they could do about it.

My neighbor finally gave the pkg to the apt Mgr, who called me.

I called UPS, and found out that it was OK by their policy to deliver a pkg to the wrong person, but log it in as delivered to the correct person.

Fuck UPS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Call UPS on Monday if a check of their tracking website doesn't show any progress. When you call and the recorded message gives you the option to press #1 or #2, press ZERO and talk to a real person and get a case number assigned. Sometimes those agents have more detailed information than the website.

If the package was declared to contain a firearm, by all means make sure the agent knows it.

No experience with lost firearms shipments, but 4 years ago someone in Dallas was shipping me a professional broadcast video recorder worth $5,000 by Next Day. Somehow the large, heavy, package got lost in the system when it was transferred to Louiseville, KY. It languished there for a couple of days. In the end it took a week for that package to arrive even though I'd paid a premium for overnight shipping.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
As a UPS shipper that spends a few thousand$ per month, I like UPS the most of the carriers. Every month or so a parcel is left at a doorstep and the customer doesn't get it. I call UPS, file a claim, and ship the customer new parts. A few weeks later, a check comes from UPS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a monitor from a guy off of eBay only to have it vanish in transit. UPS contacted the shipper and let them know it had gone missing... the bad thing is their website still showed it sitting in a UPS dock somewhere, not moving. Lucky for me the seller was a stand up guy and he immediately contacted me and refunded my money, all of it including shipping. He told me that he lost monitors before going through that hub and that it was an "uphill battle" (his words) filing a claim with UPS and getting compensated for his/our loss... so he just refunded my money in advance to keep me on his good side I guess. I wound up buying another of the same kind from him a week later and he shipped it USPS that time and it showed up in 2 days without a scratch.

That has been my only bad experience with UPS ever.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a NFA (short barrelled rifle) item go missing.  Turns out UPS delivered it to the wrong person.  UPS Security picked it up from them a short time later but didn't bother telling anyone.  The gun was missing for a few days and finally turned up at the UPS warehouse in the high value security portion.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I had great experience with UPS. Fed Ex, usually runs late, i have gotten pkgs from them at 9:30 pm thrown at my door from the driveway.

USPS lost a book order from amazon, what really pissed me off was they just were not willing to say "ok it is obviously lost". They just kept giving me the run around after it was a week late of delivery date. I finally contacted amazon and told them and they hooked me up with a next day UPS delivery of a new copy. Don`t know what ever happened to the first one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I had them deliver one to the wrong street but same address. They couldn't get it back because the scumbag at the house said he didn't get any package. It took over a month for a replacement to be sent out. Then get this , the assholes lost the gd replacement package! After a long pissed of phone conversation they told me they had to investigate the driver. 3 days later it shows up on my side porch open with all the stuff inside messed with! Then all they could say was"were glad to here you got your package"

Just recently they delivered 2 packages in the same day to the wrong house & they claimed it was delivered to mine! At least my neighbor was honest & decent enough to bring them over.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=385832

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, several lost through UPS.

The real pisser was with FedEx.  Dropped and envelope off in one of their pickup boxes, never showed up on tracking.  They claimed it was never there.  I'll never use an F-ing box again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
never lost one UPS ( they have destroyed many)
had a couple of empty boxes show up USPS
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
16yr's using UPS (I'm a 01FFL) with zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
We have about 180 packages at the moment that are lost.  UPS blames Katrina for being so confused nationally.  As to how many UPS has lost before last week, it's a number in the hundreds.  I don't know how many exactly, but I do know exactly how many we've been reimbursed for.  Zero.  They're a bunch of thieves.  If we could get FedEx or DHL to pick-up on the schedule we have to use, we obviously would never do business with UPS again.  Good luck getting UPS to reimburse you.z
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
In early 2001 I sent a hard-saved package with an M14 receiver, stock, TRW bolts, trigger groups, some BPT NM parts, to be built into an M14/M1A by Fulton Armory.  Insured.  I saved and scrimped and collected parts for five years to build my dream rifle.

Sent 2nd day UPS.

They lost it.

I learned all about their tracking system - unlike FedEx, it can be someplace and not be scanned.  

They found it two months later, thank God.

Then they didn't want to refund my $.   Said I initiated the claim too late.

I logged every call and had that info handy, did get a refund.

I will NEVER voluntarily ship with or receive from UPS again.

Brown = Sh*t.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top