Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/11/2007 2:51:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 2:53:19 PM EST by Dave_A]
Simple question, answer the poll....

Did you read it... What do you think of it?

If you post, and you actually read it, how much did you read?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:03:51 PM EST
I read it all when it first hit the net. My initial thoughts was it was a bad piece of legislation that was written by a different groups at different times and was revised for special interest additions at least 20 times. Poorly written would be an understatement. For example, all the "sense of congress" additions were insane and added in things that were far out of bounds of the original objective.

While I'm all for the idea of our intelligence agencies sharing and collaborating, there's no reason we should have to settle for such a bad piece of legislation to achieve it.

I'm also beginning to believe that our legislature is no longer capable of writing a law that's short, sweet and to the point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:09:32 PM EST
Had to read a good portion of it for one of my classes. Especially some of the ones people seem to complain about the most.

I'm fine with everything I read of it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:12:32 PM EST
I've read the whole thing and I oppose it. I think the potential for abuse is too great and I think that certain portions of the Act could be used to justify trampling on a citizen's 4th Amendment rights.

What I got from reading the Act is that the government wants the ability to spy on anyone whom they deem to be a threat, without any sort of justification.

If I had to summarize the Act, it would be "We are the Government. If we don't like what you're saying or doing, we can spy on you and collect all manner of evidence without probable cause or a warrant."

It is a badly-written piece of legislation. Flame suit ON.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:27:49 PM EST
Read some understood some didn't like some of what I understood.

I do not favor laws that extend federal power nor am I fond of overly complex laws... lawyers should not be the only people capable of interpreting laws.

Yes I also sometimes watch CSPAN and local access for fun...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:29:28 PM EST
I've only read the electronic surveillance portions. Didn't see what the big to do was about.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:34:42 PM EST
I want the gov't to use every means to go after TERRORISTS!

But when they use these laws to go after american citizens not involved in terrorism(criminal or not) then they have gone too far.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:05:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 4:06:04 PM EST by RV-1]
I've read the entire Enabling Patriot Act.

Let's just say it impressed me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:10:15 PM EST
When i first heard about it i wondered what it was , then when i got detials of all the rights we had to give up i realized that it was an excuse to tap our America freedoms hard and my respect for gov just began to slide from there ..Now i see anything gov as nothing but a"taker" , sadly with nothing comming back...dupli...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:24:00 PM EST
Unfortunately I read sections 314 and 326 word for word probably several hundred times for a previous job. (These sections dealt with anti-money laundering/terrorist financing bank regs.)

The bank portions were hastily created, feel-good window dressing done by impotent politicians in the wake of September 11th. I'm sure much of the rest of it is the same way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:31:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Originally Posted By JaxxKat:
When i first heard about it i wondered what it was , then when i got detials of all the rights we had to give up i realized that it was an excuse to tap our America freedoms hard and my respect for gov just began to slide from there ..Now i see anything gov as nothing but a"taker" , sadly with nothing comming back...dupli...

You 'got the details'.....

I assume this means you didn't read it....

You do realize that your realizations are likely based on propaganda, right?

I started reading it - it was almost incomprehensible (changing laws that I didn't bother looking up).
Matt
Top Top