Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/3/2007 6:48:56 AM EST
How many movies do you think you rent in a year's time?

I started using an Excel spreadsheet to track my renting last year. This includes actual rentals as well as loans from the library. I also track every DVD I get from Blockbuster Online.

My total for 2006 was 294. 130 from BbO and 164 from conventional sources.

One can deduce from those numbers that I spend entirely too much time watching TV and movies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:50:03 AM EST

20-25 via comcast video on demand.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:50:54 AM EST
I have a movie problem too. With blockbuster online I am getting about 4 a week. I watch a movie almost every day. So I would estimate 150-200 a year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:51:38 AM EST
Exactly zero. I either watch what's on, or buy movies. There are about 150 or so movies on my "want list" that represent the movies that I can and will watch over and over again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:52:46 AM EST
I had to quit buying as I ran out of storage space.

Currently searching for a good storage solution for the 500 or so I have sitting in boxes in the living room since I redid my entertainment center.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:53:15 AM EST
Probabaly around 2-3 hundred. Yikes!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:53:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 6:54:30 AM EST by BigButch301]
about 8 or 10per month..NETFLIX babay

But you have to remeber that I do not have any outside tv signal, no cable, sat dish no local TV so movies are all the TV i get.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:54:22 AM EST

watch what I got or buy.

Go to theater bout once per month

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:54:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By five2one:

Doesn't it bother you that you're getting poor PQ and not the original OAR?

Hell, I rented The Last Kiss on Monday night. Store only had one copy, so I assumed it was a widescreen copy. Usually, if they only have one copy of a flick, it is widescreen. I was in a hurry and didn't check the box for the aspect ration.

Get home Tuesday morning, pop it in, it's a fucking POS full screen. Didn't even bother watching it. That's $3 down the shitter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:55:04 AM EST
None.

I purchase.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:56:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Burley:

Currently searching for a good storage solution for the 500 or so I have sitting in boxes in the living room since I redid my entertainment center.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:56:36 AM EST
24 per month with netflix.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:58:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

www.lorentzdesign.com/home%20setting3.jpg

And where could one find something like that? I've looked at several places locally and none have anything that really float my boat.

I've got a nice little folding wood rack in the bedroom that was given to us by a friend. Came from Target. Need to see if they have any more of them as it is perfect for what I want.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:59:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 7:08:03 AM EST by fight4yourrights]

www.lorentzdesign.com/home%20setting3.jpg

And where could one find something like that? I've looked at several places locally and none have anything that really float my boat.

I've got a nice little folding wood rack in the bedroom that was given to us by a friend. Came from Target. Need to see if they have any more of them as it is perfect for what I want.

Um, see link................... www.lorentzdesign.com

I've got 6 of them. Good, furniture quality design and contruction
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:15:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 7:16:27 AM EST by Coolio]
None.
I don't like movies very much.
I think they're a waste of time. They're all pretty much geared for 15 to 25 year olds anyway.

I might go out to see a couple of movies during the course of an average year. But they take up too much time. I'd rather be doing something else.
One of my gripes is that the art of telling a really good, tight, concise story within a reasonable time frame (1 and a half hours or maybe a bit more) seems to be a lost art. It's nothing for a movie to creep over the three hour mark these days. Who wants to just sit on his butt and watch a movie for three hours? (I guess a lot of folks, but not me).

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:26:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Coolio:
None.
I don't like movies very much.
I think they're a waste of time. They're all pretty much geared for 15 to 25 year olds anyway.

I might go out to see a couple of movies during the course of an average year. But they take up too much time. I'd rather be doing something else.
One of my gripes is that the art of telling a really good, tight, concise story within a reasonable time frame (1 and a half hours or maybe a bit more) seems to be a lost art. It's nothing for a movie to creep over the three hour mark these days. Who wants to just sit on his butt and watch a movie for three hours? (I guess a lot of folks, but not me).

Interesting.
Zero for me also. I don't even have a TV or internet at home. Yeah, I am boring. But with two kids, a wife, two horses, two donkeys, and whole bunches of cows, I just run out of time everyday.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:27:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:28:03 AM EST
Somewhere on the order of 250 per year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:28:38 AM EST
I only rent 2 or 3 but last year I bought over 150.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:29:56 AM EST

I started using an Excel spreadsheet to track my renting last year. This includes actual rentals as well as loans from the library. I also track every DVD I get from Blockbuster Online.

One can deduce from those numbers that I spend entirely too much time watching TV and movies.
all triple x as well
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:30:49 AM EST
I probably rent about 10-15 movies a year. There just aren't very many that I want to watch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:32:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By dedfella:

watch what I got or buy.

+1

Thank God for the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin. I have bought a ton of movies out of that thing. I recently picked up Strange Brew.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:32:37 AM EST
between 40 and 50
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:38:25 AM EST

I thought the point of online rental services like Blockbuster and Netflix was to save money. If you join that and instead of using your unlimited rentals you rent from the local places, seems like a waste of money. plus the local places usually dont have much selection. I have netflix and average about 120 a year since I've had it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:40:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:40:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Originally Posted By dedfella:

watch what I got or buy.

+1

Thank God for the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin. I have bought a ton of movies out of that thing. I recently picked up Strange Brew.

yep, I love the 5.50 bin. I have pulled a few gems out of it lately.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:41:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By deadpool31:
I have a movie problem too. With blockbuster online I am getting about 4 a week. I watch a movie almost every day. So I would estimate 150-200 a year.

Blasphemy! I have their 3 DVD at a time plan and currently watch about 40 movies per month. I don't have cable BTW.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:41:28 AM EST
0. I usually purchase cheap when on sale, or used from coworkers/friends. Going to pick up Lucky Number Slevin tonight at Best Buy for $9.99 after work
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:47:15 AM EST
(0).
I prefer to see movies.

Or buy cheap movies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:47:18 AM EST
Between me and my wife... A shitload. We pay a fee monthly to Hollywood Video and can rent 3 at a time with no late fees and no limits (as long as we bring the 3 back). Its usually at least 3 per week. Stop by on Tuesdays and see what's new.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:58:30 AM EST
Maybe 2 or 3 from video rental places.

A buddy of mine has a HUGE DVD collection. He lets my gf and I pick / choose & borrow as many as we like, as often as we wish.

I repay him by taking him and his wife out to eat a few times a year. Win-win.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:03:17 AM EST

sitcom junky here, if i gotta see a movie i either catch it in theatre or buy the dvd. ive had HBO for 3 or 4 months and ive maybe watched one whole movie on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:05:00 AM EST
maybe 4 probably less
probably would be higher if I had more time
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:05:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By five2one:

Doesn't it bother you that you're getting poor PQ and not the original OAR?

Hell, I rented The Last Kiss on Monday night. Store only had one copy, so I assumed it was a widescreen copy. Usually, if they only have one copy of a flick, it is widescreen. I was in a hurry and didn't check the box for the aspect ration.

Get home Tuesday morning, pop it in, it's a fucking POS full screen. Didn't even bother watching it. That's $3 down the shitter.

Not really, I prefer the films as they were mean to be scene, but thats really theater quality stuff. I mean, most films weren't meant to be seen on any tv screen.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:06:26 AM EST
Maybe 6...and that's usually in three trips, two movies each from the rental place conveniently located next to the grocery store.

Usually, we enjoy 1 or 2 out of those six we see every year. I haven't been inside a movie theater in years. I don't do pay per view, either.

What I really don't understand is the compulsion to buy a movie you have already seen. I don't buy DVDs, but have gotten several as gifts. How many friggen' times can you watch Dances with Wolves, The Passion, and Legends of the Fall? What a waste...they sit unopened.

My brother in law must have over 2,000 titles in his collection....of VHS tapes. Useless....
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:06:52 AM EST
I think I rented maybe 10 from Blockbuster in my highest rental year ever, 2 years ago.

I rented 3 this past weekend and enjoyed them (Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Superman Returns and Spartan). Probably the last I'll rent for a while.
Top Top