Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 4:52:24 PM EDT
I'm in college right now and got to thinking that I want to buy a new truck (well not new, but a late model).  Right now I have a Colt LE6920, a HK-91A3, and a SLR-105a1R.  I want to buy a 7.62x39 AK for sure so that will come this summer, and possibly a Trijicon scope.  That will leave me with a rifle in most major calibers, keeping me shooting if one kind of ammo gets hard to find or expensive.  After that, I'd like to get the truck.  Problem is I can't stop.  I want a DSA StG-58 Folder Carbine, a M1 Garand, a Benelli M2, and a SSG-97 PSL.  I'll be on ROTC scholarship next year so I'll be getting a $400 a month stipend, and I work over the summer so that money isn't required for cost of living.  I can't decide whether to get the truck or more firearms.  Shooting is my hobby but I don't have any other use for my guns.  Should I get a truck and start enjoying my life allitle more, or get more guns?  I travel to and from school, which is about a 1 1/2 hour trip, every weekend.  I know the money I put into a truck will be lost with depriciation, but why let a hobby keep me from having other things?  After all, I have plenty of time to get more firearms!  Where should I draw the line?  (BTW... I hate Black Rifle Disease  )
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't own a truck, then it's about time. "SHTF" is near.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Ranger now... it has 130k on it (still somewhat young), but I'd like to get something a little bigger and newer like a 03 Dakota.  I'm lost...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
GET BOTH damn it!

For a truck I'd reccomend a late model Chevy.  You can grab a mid-to-late 90's C/K pickup for cheap.

July 04: My dad picked up a '97 Chevy C/2500 with a 305, AT, AC, the Cheyenne package for $7200 with 62K.

My BIL last year grabbed a '01 Silverado, with a 4.3 V-6, stick, AC, the base package for I think around the same price.  It has 43K IIRC.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not really set on any brand right now...Dodge, Chevy, Ford....they're just like AR makers....even the best turn out lemons every once and a while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm not really set on any brand right now...Dodge, Chevy, Ford....they're just like AR makers....even the best turn out lemons every once and a while.

I wish I could tell you more about AR manufacturers...really I do.

I still say Chevy.  I was born and raised by a GM man...although we have had Fords, Chevy, and Dodges.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You are young and have no business spending so much money on such an expensive hobby as firearms.  Have one or two good defensive arms, and that's it.  I can't fathom how you can be so damn financially irresponsible.

Save your cash.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always get a truck with a gun if the SHTF.  Buy more guns, mags, and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You are young and have no business spending so much money on such an expensive hobby as firearms.  Have one or two good defensive arms, and that's it.  I can't fathom how you can be so damn financially irresponsible.

Save your cash.

Yes, wait to buy them after you have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, a car payment, and utility bills. It's much easier then.

I'd start looking for a FAL if you want one as they will either start going up in price or get harder to find if a manf does not start producing some of the "big" parts in the US.

I would suggest that you start saving for your future but that does not mean spending nothing on firearms. Look at what might get harder to buy in the future and get it now. Thats why I bought several FALs, [NOT Century] I don't see them getting any cheaper in the future.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Save your cash.

Dont' get me wrong... I pay for everything I buy with my own money.  My parents are paying some of my tuition now...but thats it.  I'm getting student loans on the rest.  I live in a fire station for free so no appartment.  I work 30 hrs/week during school, and more than 70hrs/week at various ambulance companies over the summer as an EMT.  The money I'm talking of is extra.  Either towards guns or a truck.  I'm sorry but I consider myself more financially responsible 80%-90% or most college students.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
In regards to the truck I'm not taking SHTF in to consideration.  In general I want a vehicle with less than 50k on it that will be more reliable for travel... getting a truck is just what I want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude buy guns.  Good investment.  I'm up to 10 guns now and don't regret any of them.  I spend less than 5% of my income on guns.  I want to up it to 10%, but something tells me to save...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Save your cash.

Yes, wait to buy them after you have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, a car payment, and utility bills. It's much easier then.

That's my plan.  Wait till I get out of college, get my own place, and then I'll think about buying guns.

Right now it's something I really can't afford.  

To the original poster:Get your priorities straight.  If you need a vehicle, buy one.  Don't buy stuff you really don't need.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 2000 yukon and all I can say about it is that it has had 3 heater cores and could use another one.  They keep getting a tiny pinhole leak in them and the entire dash and steering column come out at the dealers for replacement.

It has also had a problem with power steering pumps, and it could use another one of those as well.

Both the above were covered while my dad had it since he had an extended warranty.  He has always been gm, bought lots of new stuff from the same gm dealer.

He won't even consider a new gm now, and a used one is worse after seeing what his has been through.

The vehicle is driveable and the problems are annoying but I don't care since I am going to trade it in on a diesel dodge or ford in a few months.

As far as guns vs. vehicles, you have to decide to some extent since you have no vehicle.  With a vehicle comes upkeep, fuel, insurance, and headaches if something goes out on it.  The reason you can afford guns right now is most likely because there is no vehicle sucking your wallet dry.

If you can get along without a vehicle I think it makes sense to wait a while before getting one.

That said, having a vehicle at my disposal allows me to go shooting or shopping or anything when I wish to do so.

The one nice thing about guns is you can shoot them and abuse them and they still sell for a higher percentage of their original price than a well cared for but well used truck.

Personally I would get the truck but I hate gm.

I was a mechanic for a bit and all vehicles have their problems.  But gm has soured me with personal experience and I want a 4x4 with a solid axle up front so no gm here in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't necessarily "need" a new vehicle.  The truck I have now only has 130k on it.  Thats what I've been trying to figure out.  I could run the truck till it dies, but I'm thinking I want something thats "nice".
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Tough call.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Not making any quick decisions but I'm leaning towards putting cash aside this summer, buying a truck, and then if money allows, get a few fireams later.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
cms,

Here is my advice.  I am sure you won't take it.  It was given to me, and I didn't.

Take that $400 stipend and put it into Roth IRA's and other investments. You can live without the cash now.  You need to reign in your spending, especially on luxury items.  Now is the time to save for your retirement, not when you are thirty-something.

Cavu
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I would buy the truck.  Reliable transportation is important and you have a few toys you can play with for now....
For what its worth I have an 04 GMC Canyon that I love...alot more room then a Ranger, good MPG and it scoots pretty well too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top