Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2002 4:29:01 PM EDT
My Dad and I have ID and usually hit the Carswell PX on weekends, personally I collect AAFES brand items.  After retiring from the Army my Dad joined AAFES and served for another 30 years as a Purchasing Manager, so he has a special affinity for all things AAFES.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to miss it.. but if you are a good shopper, you can beat px prices almost all the time now....even with taxes.   I will say it did come in handy over at Hickam AFB (HI)when on vacation [:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I miss AAFES.  I'm ex-Army and my wife is active duty Army at Camp Lejeune... so we're learning to speak a new language.

For instance, they don't have AAFES they have MCCS.

They don't live on post, they live on base.

They don't wear BDU's, they wear cammies.

They don't don their LBE, they don their ?.

Needless to say, we don't have a PX... we have a BX.  And it's friggin' MCCS to boot![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't miss it. The only thing I thought it was ever really good for was buying untaxed tobacco products for friends and being able to buy booze under the age of 21 (before the military got politically correct, that is).
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, not at all.  Last times I went nothing but foreign trash, Phillipino's and any other ethnic that didn't seem to be speaking english.

As long as you're in a decent size area you can beat any commisary or PX/BX prices.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I miss AAFES.  I'm ex-Army and my wife is active duty Army at Camp Lejeune... so we're learning to speak a new language.

For instance, they don't have AAFES they have MCCS.

They don't live on post, they live on base.

They don't wear BDU's, they wear cammies.

They don't don their LBE, they don their ?.

Needless to say, we don't have a PX... we have a BX.  And it's friggin' MCCS to boot![rolleyes]
View Quote

Were you ever stationed at a post? If so, how high was the post? Six feet? A post is something you put in the ground to hold a fence(hence a post hole and post hole diggers), something most Army bases don't seem to have anymore). Of course it's a base. Base of operation.
There is nothing dressy about cammies or battle (and we don't blouse our dress trousers either).
We put on our 782 gear.
But we DO shop at the PX. Just come on up to Cherry Point (but no firearms or ammo for sale here) and see the PX.
But no, I don't shop at the PX often. I don't wear Dockers or Tommy Hilfagger, and I don't earn an officers pay.
I buy my smokes at the 7 Day Troop Store, along with my discounted gun mags (I'll miss those). I shop at the commissary for food, but buy most other things at Wal-Mart, because I can't afford the over priced clothes at the PX.
[edited to add] MCCS= Marine Corps Crime Syndicate.

[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top