Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 3:18:55 AM EDT
First of all if you are a smoking Nazi Fuck you don't read any further and don't reply
Now with that out of the way
I'm going out of the country in a couple of month and would like to know if there is a limit on how many cigarettes I can bring back?  Where I'm going they are priced significantly cheaper and I would like to stock up with as much as I can.
Anybody know for sure?  I don't want to have them seized and wind up throwing money down the drain
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought it was 200 before duty taxes assessed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
how many can you fit in your ass?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

Tobacco Products

Travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed. These items are typically purchased in dutyfree stores, on carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States,” or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States.”

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars:

If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated.

If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free under the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining 200 foreign-made cigarettes.

The tobacco exemption is available to each adult. Except for information and informational materials, no traveler (whether traveling legally under an Office of Foreign Asset Control license or traveling illegally without an OFAC license) may import Cuban-made goods, including Cuban cigars.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I brought back 3 cartons from Egypt three years ago , and 2 cartons from Chile last winter , and paid zero fees . Both times they were just laid in my suitcase .
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Two Cartons last time I did it, couple years ago.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I brought back two cartons from Shanghai last week.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
last cruse 2 years ago, they had marlbro's in 4 pack cartons for 100$ in the duty free shops to take home
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
google United States Customs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I brought back 3 cartons from Egypt
three years ago , and 2 cartons from Chile last winter , and paid zero fees . Both times they were just laid in my suitcase .

Next time I go to Egypt, I'm bringing back some "Kansas" cigarettes. They're awful.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I brought back 3 cartons from Egypt three years ago , and 2 cartons from Chile last winter , and paid zero fees . Both times they were just laid in my suitcase .

Next time I go to Egypt, I'm bringing back some "Kansas" cigarettes. They're awful.  

I brought back some Korean made Marlboros , which weren't too bad , but the Egyptian made "Cleopatra's" were the most disgusting thing I ever put a match to .  At $3 a carton I figured 'why not' ? I gave most of them away and still have about 15 packs as SHTF smokes .
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tobacco Products

Travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed. These items are typically purchased in dutyfree stores, on carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States,” or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States.”

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars:

If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated.
If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free under the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining 200 foreign-made cigarettes.
The tobacco exemption is available to each adult. Except for information and informational materials, no traveler (whether traveling legally under an Office of Foreign Asset Control license or traveling illegally without an OFAC license) may import Cuban-made goods, including Cuban cigars.

So does all this apply if you buy your cigs at the duty free store?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tobacco Products

So does all this apply if you buy your cigs at the duty free store?

Yes

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the replies guys
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't you mean "anti-smoking Nazi"?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First of all if you are a smoking Nazi Fuck you don't read any further and don't reply
Now with that out of the way
I'm going out of the country in a couple of month and would like to know if there is a limit on how many cigarettes I can bring back?  Where I'm going they are priced significantly cheaper and I would like to stock up with as much as I can.
Anybody know for sure?  I don't want to have them seized and wind up throwing money down the drain

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top