Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 9:57:28 AM EDT
I just picked up an Iron Man heart rate monitor to assist with daily workouts.  It also calculates calories burned during a workout.  So I'm wondering how many calories are burned during a good workout?  Today it was 850 and I was whooped, but could have pushed a little longer if 850 is still in the puss range.  jJust looking to see what the fitness geeks have to say.  I'm in my 40's and not looking to join the NSW DevGroup, just to tone up and lose a few pounds.  Thank in advance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually burn about 500-600 calories during my 50 minute workouts...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I am curious how many calories I burn when lifting weights. I sweat a lot more lifting than doing cardio so I assume I am working harder and burning more calories.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be more concerned with counting calories since it can vary widely.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is my .02 on this whole "calories burned" thing. You lose pounds/calories in the kitchen, not the gym. The gym is for increasing muscle strength and stamina. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
A 3 mile run is about 600 calories.  

Lifting weights for 30 minutes is about 250.  

I have a heart rate monitor that counts the calories I burn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The formula heart rate monitors use to estimate calories burned is pretty generic but a good ball park reference.

I track my Cal. taken in, my Cal. burned running and Cal. burned working out on a spreadsheet.

It helped me loose about 80 pounds real quick because it keeps me accountable. If I don't reach my daily Net goal then I have to see it on the spreadsheet every day.

The Myfitnesspal App works great also, but I still like seeing my results on a spreadsheet
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
25 calories is a big burn for me. I rep out at 215. Come at me bro.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am curious how many calories I burn when lifting weights. I sweat a lot more lifting than doing cardio so I assume I am working harder and burning more calories.
View Quote

I'm the opposite. I don't really trust my Garmin or the treadmill, but an hour or so cycling I will pour sweat and report 600-800 calories burned. Treadmill around 600 with 4.5 MPH fast walk and 6 MPH jog interspersed for  45 minutes.

I lift weights once a week for around 90 minutes with 2minutes between sets and only break a few beads. Body types, I guess.

ETA: Would probably be helpful to add for context that I'm not big and muscular. I'm small-framed, 145 lbs. and more suited to cardio, I think. Not power-lifting here. Using 25-lb. dumbbells.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know how accurate the elliptical I use is, but it reports that I can usually pound out ~750-800 calories/hour or so.  I'll usually go for 1000-1250 calories/workout, maybe a little more on the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I usually burn about 500-600 calories during my 50 minute workouts...
View Quote

I do this in about an hour myself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I ran 10 miles Thursday and according to the monitor it burned 1825 calories.
A 6.2 mile run usually burns around 1160 calories, 4 miles around 800.
I don't know how much I burn lifting...if exhaustion is any indication, 45 minutes doing back sure as hell beats 45 minutes doing shoulders and tris, though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no way to answer your question.

What kind of "workout" are you doing and what are you trying to accomplish?

Back in the day I would ride about 10 kcal per minute for .....oh I don't know.....6 hours. A good work out.  My run work outs were more like 13 kcals per minute cause I suck at running. Swim workouts were about the same but using upper body.
8 hours "hikes" at 9-10K feet....at 15 kcal per minute.....a good work out.  BTW....now that I look back on this type of training I would DISCOURAGE anyone and almost everyone from pursuing it. It will ruin your knees and enlarge your heart.

Kcals burned is a function of your heartrate which is a function of your O2 uptake so genitics and fitness levels must be factored. The fitter you are....the more efficient you are.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Back in the day I would ride about 10 kcal per minute for .....oh I don't know.....6 hours. A good work out.  My run work outs were more like 13 kcals per minute cause I suck at running. Swim workouts were about the same but using upper body.
8 hours "hikes" at 9-10K feet....at 15 kcal per minute.....a good work out.  BTW....now that I look back on this type of training I would DISCOURAGE anyone and almost everyone from pursuing it. It will ruin your knees and enlarge your heart.

Kcals burned is a function of your heartrate which is a function of your O2 uptake so genitics and fitness levels must be factored. The fitter you are....the more efficient you are.
View Quote

No way to answer my question?  Relax dude.  I'm asking if 850 is a descent workout.  That's it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is my .02 on this whole "calories burned" thing. You lose pounds/calories in the kitchen, not the gym. The gym is for increasing muscle strength and stamina. YMMV.
View Quote

This guy gets it.

Heck when I am working out / running I eat 2 x more than usual

ETA:  Realizing that I only burn 160 calories per mile really makes you reconsider that 140 calorie soda
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No way to answer my question?  Relax dude.  I'm asking if 850 is a descent workout.  That's it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty chill here. And the answer is ......you tell us cause it depends. If you are asking is my workout bigger and badder than yours the answer is no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#16]
87 calories.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#17]
This was a cardio assessment with a trainer. Generally if I'm just doing weights around 700 calories. When I'm doing cardio between 1000-1200.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Lifting weights heavily 6+ sets you'll be burning calories constantly for days by repairing the muscles.

google for some articles.

A good Back/Biceps or Chest/Tris/shoulders or Legs workout will burn more calories than an hour doing moderate cardio over a few days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Eat clean.Train dirty.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This was a cardio assessment with a trainer. Generally if I'm just doing weights around 700 calories. When I'm doing cardio between 1000-1200.
View Quote

Thanks.  That's sort of what I was looking for.  I appreciate all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ran 10 miles Thursday and according to the monitor it burned 1825 calories.
A 6.2 mile run usually burns around 1160 calories, 4 miles around 800.
I don't know how much I burn lifting...if exhaustion is any indication, 45 minutes doing back sure as hell beats 45 minutes doing shoulders and tris, though.
View Quote

the bigger the muscle group, the more calories burning in a given time, I would think.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A 3 mile run is about 600 calories.  

Lifting weights for 30 minutes is about 250.  

I have a heart rate monitor that counts the calories I burn.
View Quote

The more important factor here is how many additional calories are burned after you do these exercises.

Steady state cardio (running) is almost none

Lifting heavy weights is considerable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My record is 1,246 calories in 1 hour.

I've achieved higher rates for 45 and 50 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 It also calculates calories burned during a workout.  
View Quote

Not very accurately from what I've observed, at least for cycling.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 It also calculates calories burned during a workout.  

Not sure about accuracy either.  I bought it mostly for the heart rate monitor and to stay out of VTach.  Just trying to get a baseline of a reasonable workout and calorie burning.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Oops, I just farted, guess I just burned 35 cals.
Why bother keeping track of all this?
Just get out and run, lift, or whatever.

You need to worry more about cals on the food intake not so much what you burn, it's just a guess anyway.
Some of you guys are trying to overthink this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Cardio, cardio, cardio...no grains and no sugars. You will be amazed in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I just did the hill climb program on my Precor.  2.4 miles in 35 minutes was 520 calories.  I weigh 235 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

DING DING DING!!  We have a Winner!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top