Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 4:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 4:23:04 PM EDT by TNFrank]
Since this is a "Religious" forum and not a "Christian" forum I thought I'd ask and see how many of us there are. I converted to Asatru about 10 months ago after a long "struggle" with Christianity. I just never felt quite right being a Christian, it just didn't fit my personal Worldview. Since I've become Heathen I've had a peace and felt better about my-self then I've felt in years. My gods are Elder Kin and don't expect me to beg or plead with them. I ask they come thru then I give them an Offering in thanks for their help. It's a fair deal on both sides. Asa Thor is the god that closes to my heart but I hold all the Aesir and Vanir in high reguard along with Land and Water Wights(they can mess ya' up faster then the gods if you tick em' off.LOL.) I just feel like this is the religion of my heart, it fits perfectly. So how many of us are there here? Holler if ya' hear me!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:30:48 PM EDT
I'm not a heathen...

But I am a heretic. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:35:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hydgirl:
I'm not a heathen...

LOL, well, they both start with an "H", but it all boils down to Worldview. As a Heathen I've started to think more of Family and Community instead of just my-self all the time. I have to be responsible for my actions and teaching my grandkids to be self-reliant, truthful and honorable. What I do effects the Orlog of my Kin and future Kin so I can't be selfish, I have the future generation to think about. The way I act now can and will affect the "Luck"(Orlog) that my Kin will have to live with and I want them to have a good life. I feel as a Heathen the "burden" is square on my shoulders, no one to pass it off to, it's up to me, personal responsiblilty and I like that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:40:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TNFrank:

I'm not a heathen...

LOL, well, they both start with an "H", but it all boils down to Worldview. As a Heathen I've started to think more of Family and Community instead of just my-self all the time. I have to be responsible for my actions and teaching my grandkids to be self-reliant, truthful and honorable. What I do effects the Orlog of my Kin and future Kin so I can't be selfish, I have the future generation to think about. The way I act now can and will affect the "Luck"(Orlog) that my Kin will have to live with and I want them to have a good life. I feel as a Heathen the "burden" is square on my shoulders, no one to pass it off to, it's up to me, personal responsiblilty and I like that.

I am find the same as aChrisatian. What you summed up should be universally accepted. Responsibility.

I responded because according to anothers viewpoint I am probably a heathen or heretic. If you feel I crashed your thread improperly I appologize in advance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:37:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
I responded because according to anothers viewpoint I am probably a heathen or heretic. If you feel I crashed your thread improperly I appologize in advance.

I won't speak for the resident heathen, but as the resident heretic, I'd be interested to know what your definiton of a heretic is...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:24:38 PM EDT

I won't speak for the resident heathen, but as the resident heretic, I'd be interested to know what your definiton of a heretic is...

To me a heretic would be a professing Christian who denies the divinity of Jesus and leads others away by dilluding Grace to a works based system. That would be my interpretation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:48:12 PM EDT

To me a heretic would be a professing Christian who denies the divinity of Jesus and leads others away by dilluding Grace to a works based system. That would be my interpretation.

Okie dokie... The definition of heresy isn't actually up for much interpretation. The debate between grace and works is a pretty orthodox arguement.

A heretic is, simply, a Christian who goes against what is considered orthodox, or an unorthodox Christian.

And for the record, a heathen is anyone who doesn't believe in the Judeo-Christian God.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:52:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:06:38 AM EDT
It's not that I don't believe in the desert god, Yahweh, it's that I don't follow his teachings(Judism,Christianity or Islam) and that's my choice. As for Buddism, I studied it in my late teens/early twenties and found it interesting. Of all the religions of the world it is one of the very few that can truly be called "The Religion of Peace." , many Buddists don't even eat meat(one point that I didn't care for much) because in doing so would mean taking a life. I find Buddism to be one of the most gentel and kind religions that a person can follow. Alass and alack, it's not the religion of my ancestors so it just doesn't fit the "religion whole" in my heart. Asatru, on the other hand, seems to be the best fit that I've found so far. I feel in touch with my ancestors and the Elder Kin(the gods) thru it and more in touch with nature in general. I, as a Heathen, am a part of it all, Not some "better creation" put here to rule over and subdue it all. I have to work with nature, not beat it into submission.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:02:53 AM EDT
I'm a heathen as well, although my path is Unitarian Universalism. Its a lot like Buddhism in that it concerns itself with how you live your life, instead of how to get into Heaven/Paradise

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:07:20 AM EDT
What is asatru? Never heard of it.

I see you said something about Thor. Is this a viking thing?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:41:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
What is asatru? Never heard of it.

I see you said something about Thor. Is this a viking thing?

Here's the link I gave to Dino, check it out.
asatru-u.org/

Hope this is some help.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:15:20 AM EDT

I just never felt quite right being a Christian, it just didn't fit my personal Worldview.

There's your problem.

It's not SUPPOSED to fit your worldview.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:58:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I just never felt quite right being a Christian, it just didn't fit my personal Worldview.

There's your problem.

Yep, that is my "PROBLEM", the Christian Worldview is just so much B.S. to my way of thinking so why should I put up with trying to be something that I'm not. If you're at peace and happy being a Christian so be it but please don't dis me because it wasn't my "cup o' tea". To each his own, live and let live.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:27:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

There's your problem.

Yep, that is my "PROBLEM", the Christian Worldview is just so much B.S. to my way of thinking so why should I put up with trying to be something that I'm not. If you're at peace and happy being a Christian so be it but please don't dis me because it wasn't my "cup o' tea". To each his own, live and let live.

"live and let live' souinds really nice until one second after you die.

But, hey, nobody's gonna twist your arm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:53:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Heathen, infidel, and pagan checking in.

I'm a pretty devout Buddhist which is more of a way of life vice a religion. I spend at least four to eight hours a week at temple either at services or helping out around the place. Good place to vent and mediate if even just through hard work.

People get Buddism mixed up with Hinduism pretty often.

In Buddhism you are encouraged to belive in what you can actually see working. The monks guide more that preach showing the proper way to live life. The four noble truths, the eight fold path, and our prohibitions can be demonstrated as having a pretty big impact on life. The moral convictions of the Christians follow the Buddist beliefs pretty closely with the Ten Commandments and golden rule.

My Buddism allows for self-defense and even allows employment as a soldier/sailor in defence of one's country. Taking a life for other reasons - murder - is forbidden. We do belive in another world re-incarnation as the Christians do (heaven/hell) - not as the Hindus do. We don't worship the Buddha as a man nor as a lord. I practice the older more conservative of the two main strains of Buddhism - the Chinese and Japanese have a different strain (northern Buddhism).

So by some definitions I'm a heathen, infidel, and pagan yet I follow a more moral path than any non-Buddhist that I know. I don't smoke, gamble at all, and drink less than a few ounces a year. Since starting to practice I have greatly reduced my anger/temper level though still lose control too many times a year for myself.

I invite others to examine Buddhism and it's teachings if for nothing else than it's wisdom on the human condition.

Is this word allowed or not. This subject is a little fuzzy to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:00:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 2:50:38 PM EDT by makabi]
Deleted
Top Top