Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/28/2004 1:20:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 11:24:41 AM EST by olyarms]
Watching this thing on bosnia, just watching them dump truck loads of bodys.
Jeeze about 7billion people have one hell of a shitty life, then 250,000,000 of us hit the lottery. We where lucky enough to be born here.

Just imagine being born in Sudan right now, would you really hate it? That would be all you know, what a life to know only tragedy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:25:31 AM EST
Well said, and very true.
How often our small problems are all we see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:44:19 AM EST
I my worldly travels to 13 different countries, some of wich are considered developed, I have come up with the same conclusion. Some pople need to travel a little to put things in perspective.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:53:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:
I my worldly travels to 13 different countries, some of wich are considered developed, I have come up with the same conclusion. Some pople need to travel a little to put things in perspective.

+1

I have seen hell on earth. I get a heavy feeling in my chest every time I think about places like that. Most people in the US have no idea.

Samuel
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:53:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:42:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

Roger that. I was freezing my tail off one winter in the back of jeep over in South Korea. As we passed a residence, I noticed it was made of whatever materials the builder could scrounge - even had one wall reinforced with US military MRE cardboard boxes. I quickly came to the conclusion, "Hell, I guess I'm not really THAT cold."

Many, many people in the U.S. don't have the slightest clue how lucky we are to be Americans.

And yet, some do. This was told to me when I was a kid, and I had NO CONCEPT of this until I became a man. I tell my kids the same thing, now, and they are just as temporarily clueless. But they will understand someday. We are truly, truly fortunate to be Americans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:07:20 AM EST

Many, many people in the U.S. don't have the slightest clue how lucky we are to be Americans.

True. But sadder still are the ones who believe we have what we do solely because of "luck" - who are unable to recognize what makes us properous beyond other nations: Freedom and capitalism.

Without economic freedom and an efficient economy, we'd be just as screwed up as many other places.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:24:38 AM EST
Somebody tell those people in sudan to quit fucking, we can't keep up with feeding them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:32:04 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:45:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:48:43 AM EST
Theres a couple of kids that just got adopted and brought to America from Libyia(SP?) They are the most un-grateful stuck up POSs you'll ever meet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:01:29 AM EST
The reason your folks told you how well you live compared to the rest of the world is largely because life in the rural US before WWII resembled the third world, they lived through the Great Depression, and many of them saw those squalid conditions overseas during our various expeditions.

There are plenty of locations in the US now that are the same - whole counties in W. Virginia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and probably other states, isolated communities in every state, and individuals everywhere that just like to live "pore" (and no one can fix it, especially and in particular, politicians).

We're spoiled, and the wake up call is going to jar the country to its core.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:16:53 AM EST
I've seen Okinawans, in their rice fields, work their Oxen so hard it wouldn't budge so the "Dad" hooked himself up to the "Rig"...

I've removed tapeworms from little kids in the Phillipines.

I've witnessed extremely overweight mothers have tantrums worthy of calling the police , cause McDonalds put pickles on their precious kids hamburger.

I'm spinning America, for those responsible, please stop it.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:30:23 AM EST
Everyday I try to think about how fortunate I am. And when I start feeling sorry for myself and can think of plenty of people who have bigger problems than I do. Most people do not have their priorities in order nor do they appreciate what they have. Everything is taken for granted. I doubt many people ever think about "what if I had been born in another country or even to different parents". I have thought about this on more than one occasion and I thank God I am in the US.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:20:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By the:

True. But sadder still are the ones who believe we have what we do solely because of "luck" - who are unable to recognize what makes us properous beyond other nations: Freedom and capitalism.

Without economic freedom and an efficient economy, we'd be just as screwed up as many other places.

But it's luck if you where born here. You had no choice of where you were going to be born. Our country isn't founded on luck, it's soil is red.

But being born here when you would be more likely to be born into a country such as india or china, thats luck. And I am thankful for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:54:22 AM EST
Just today, as I often do, I was reflecting on the fact that there are most certainly people within five miles of me desperately trying to raise less money than I have in my pocket; less money than I spent on alchol or ammunition last month; less money than I spent on dinner for 2 on my wedding anniversary. I am very grateful for my situation, but reflecting on the fact that there are people longing for what I practically throw away makes me feel odd. I don't know what to think about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:56:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 11:56:31 AM EST by olyarms]

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Just today, as I often do, I was reflecting on the fact that there are most certainly people within five miles of me desperately trying to raise less money than I have in my pocket; less money than I spent on alchol or ammunition last month; less money than I spent on dinner for 2 on my wedding anniversary. I am very grateful for my situation, but reflecting on the fact that there are people longing for what I practically throw away makes me feel odd. I don't know what to think about it.

If your grateful, then why feel odd.
But If you have a surplus help, but don't help too much, just enough.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:08:47 PM EST
I feel for those people in desperate places. I also feel that just sending food is not the answer. These folks need to fundamentally change their views and ways of thinking before we can help. If you've have 4 kids that you can't feed then don't have anymore. This may sound mean, but if their was a way to go to these countries and sterlize three quarters of the breeding age population, then that would be a good way to help. We have alot in the USA and I'm very thankful for that, but I don't feel guilty about it either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:11:31 PM EST
Most Americans have no idea how the rest of the world lives or how good they have it. They also have no idea on what makes their good life possible.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:22:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 12:30:03 PM EST by fight4yourrights]

Originally Posted By olyarms:

We where lucky enough to be born here.

It's NOT all LUCK

Last I checked, the rivers didn't flow milk & honey. We work for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:34:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 12:35:16 PM EST by jrzy]

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
The folks down the street from me might have miserable lives.

I would do whatever I could do to help them fix up their place, bring food and clothes and try and teach them how to live.

But what I would never do is to allow them to move into my own home.

If I did, the chances are very high that my home would soon begin to resemble their old place.

In other words, help them in place and instruct them in how to make their home every bit as habitable as ours.

Eric The(GoodFencesMakeGoodNeighbors)Hun

That's Damn right ETH!

"Give a man a fish and he eats for one day.
Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:52:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

Originally Posted By olyarms:

We where lucky enough to be born here.

It's NOT all LUCK

Last I checked, the rivers didn't flow milk & honey. We work for it.

Las time I checked it didn't either Thats why I added this.

But it's luck if you where born here. You had no choice of where you were going to be born. Our country isn't founded on luck, it's soil is red.

But being born here when you would be more likely to be born into a country such as india or china, thats luck. And I am thankful for it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:22:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 6:48:06 PM EST by fight4yourrights]
IMHO, the African people need to:

1. stop having 14 babies per mom

2. stop the ass sex and spreading aids

3. stop the tribal warfare

4. setup governments that help promote the Free Enterprise system

5. setup governments that DON'T keep all the money for their own palaces

6. educate and train.

7. develop businesses.

Think of the labor pool. Africa should be able to compete with China in manufacturing, if it weren't such a shit hole.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:44:07 PM EST

IMHO, the African people need to:

1. stop having 14 babies per mom

2. stop the ass sex and spreading aids

3. stop the tribal warfare

4. setup governments that help promote the Free Enterprise system

5. setup governments that DON'T keep all the money for their own palaces

6. educate and train.

7. develop businesses.

Think of the labor pool. Africa should be able to compete with China in manufacturing, if it were such a shit hole.

It's more then just Africa, simply used Sudan as an example. In general the world is poor and really not alot can be done for it.

Kind of would be like having no one working low end jobs. Not everyone can be well off. We just happen to be lucky enough not to be born into such a place.

Yeah USA wasn't free, but still lady luck, or god however you want to put it, placed you here and no there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:46:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
This ranks as one of AR15.com's Top 5 threads ever.
So many people I run across like to spout the BS about "The rest of the world hates us because we are a bully blah blah blah."
I stop them and tell them, "No, the rest of the world hates us because we are the haves and they are the have-nots and we aren't going to just give it away on their terms like they think they deserve."
I don't even have to travel to other countries to gain an appreciation of that. I just read their newspapers. Those newspapers tell a FAR different story from what our America hating leftists tdo.

Coming from some one who's been here as long as you I feel I have added one good topic, to all my countless others that to say the least where just generic
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:50:19 PM EST
I've considered the advantages of being born here.

Yes, it's a considerable leg up. There are many places in the World where the System is simply against you, and it's unbeatable.

Looking at the Sudan, there are rich people even there. But the average person has little chance of improving their lot in life.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:45 PM EST

I've considered the advantages of being born here.

Yes, it's a considerable leg up. There are many places in the World where the System is simply against you, and it's unbeatable.

Looking at the Sudan, there are rich people even there. But the average person has little chance of improving their lot in life.

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:03:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By jrzy:
That's Damn right ETH!

"Give a man a fish and he eats for one day.
Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

Amen!

Build a man a fire, and he's warm till morning.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:20:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:32:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 3:40:07 AM EST by EdAvilaSr]
Top Top