Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 3:13:18 PM EDT
I'm interested in purchasing a used ACOG from a fellow Arfcommer but I'm wonder how long the tritium stays bright. I called Trijicon  to find out how much a "tune up" cost and for a second owner its 575.00!!
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends a lot on the concentration they use, and how much total mass of tritium makes it into the paint.

My factory Glock night sights have lasted roughly ten years before I felt they needed replacing, but that may be totally unrelated to how much tritium makes it into an ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
tritium half life is 12.3 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC Tritium has a half life of 12 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Considering a model with the fiber optic?  That fiber optic is pretty damn effective....  You probably won't notice the dim tritium unless you're in a dark building 3,000 miles from civilization on an overcast night during a new moon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends a lot on the concentration they use, and how much total mass of tritium makes it into the paint.
View Quote

What paint?

The tritium is a gas kept in a pressurized glass vial coated internally with phosphorus.

OP: They become less than ideal to use in 10-15 years. The green ones tend to remain useful longer it seems, probably because your eyes can see it better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if you assume that the light output is half its original amount when the tritium has decayed to half its original amount, the perceived brightness is still considerably more than half the original perceived brightness.

Perceived brightness is more of a logarithmic function than an linear one: A 50 percent reduction in light output power is barely noticeable to the human eye.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Even if you assume that the light output is half its original amount when the tritium has decayed to half its original amount, the perceived brightness is still considerably more than half the original perceived brightness.

Perceived brightness is more of a logarithmic function than an linear one: A 50 percent reduction in light output power is barely noticeable to the human eye.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I agree.
I have a 1911 with tritium mepro sights that is ten years old and the sights are still extremely visible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The serial number can be used to determine when it was built.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Considering a model with the fiber optic?  That fiber optic is pretty damn effective....  You probably won't notice the dim tritium unless you're in a dark building 3,000 miles from civilization on an overcast night during a new moon.
View Quote

Yup. I have a Minicog TA45 that the tritium is mostly dead in. It barely glows at night when there's very little ambient light. However, during the day or on a fairly good night; it'll still glow at a comfortable setting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1, those fiber optic tubes are like fucking vacuum cleaners sucking up photons and throwing them at you like an angry monkey with a handful of poo. But with less mess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The correct answer is 87 years of course.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No dude. Tritium is in a vial.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Overall optic - great. Fiber Optics - great. Tritium - almost useless even when brand new.  I would be equally happy with mine if the tritium was dead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.

And 9 times out of 10 when you can see the glow, it's too dark to see WTF you're aiming at anyway

ACOG are still awesome sights
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Overall optic - great. Fiber Optics - great. Tritium - almost useless even when brand new.  I would be equally happy with mine if the tritium was dead.
View Quote

This.

My TA33 was a superb optic.  I sold it and went to a variable.  But in some ways I miss the ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What paint?

The tritium is a gas kept in a pressurized glass vial coated internally with phosphorus.

OP: They become less than ideal to use in 10-15 years. The green ones tend to remain useful longer it seems, probably because your eyes can see it better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What paint?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Truth.

And 9 times out of 10 when you can see the glow, it's too dark to see WTF you're aiming at anyway

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

You don't want to go down that clusterfuck  of a road.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top