Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 4:27:17 PM EDT
Sorry for the stupid question....

Brought home a pumpkin the other day for the kids...
Is it safe to carve it now ?  or...  Should I wait 'till it's closer to Halloween ???
(The kids are buggin the crap outta me)

Temps here right now are mid 30's-mid 40's at night, and up to mid 70's during the day...

I can't remember which is more likely to rot...  carved or uncarved....

I bet this is probably one of the few questions that has NOT been asked on ARFCOM...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll rot for shure about 3-4 days in 70 degree weather
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
a couple days tops, then it is time to take it out back, and pop a few rounds into it, just to be sure it dont come back to get you.......Trust me on this OK....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
don't carve it till it gets closer (or colder) they will stay good for about a week in below 60º weather.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
two nights...until the neighbor kids wing it into the road.

You got it!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The 'Punkin ain't 'gonna happen to my pumpkin...

I have it on my front porch, and I'm well respected (feared) by the nieghborhood...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
two nights...until the neighbor kids wing it into the road.

Last year they took the ones that weren't carved (wife used them for Thanksgiving decor)....
....but they did wing em' into the road
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Carve them now and get some more later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Carve them now and get some more later.

I thought about that, but I paid $13 for this sukker... I 'gotta get my moneys worth...

(It would be 'kinda cool to take to the range on Nov 1st )
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a thin layer of vasoline on the cut surfaces, and it will last a bit longer.

Please:

no jokes on "vasoline"
no jokes on "last a bit longer"
no jokes on the combo of the two

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I recall reading somewhere about sealing the inside of a carved pumpkin would make it last longer.  Kindof painting it or coating it with some type of varnish or wax.  Dunna recall where I read that unfortunately.

Course then again, varnishing the inside would create some fun when you put a candle in for the first time.

EDIT: Guy above me seems to have the answer.

EDIT 2: Ah Ha!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Course then again, varnishing the inside would create some fun when you put a candle in for the first time.

Yeah...

I was 'kinda hoping to do this without setting the house on fire...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought about that, but I paid $13 for this sukker... I 'gotta get my moneys worth...

$13??? DAMN!
For that price it better let you stuff it in the pooper......and you know the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top