Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:13:17 AM EDT
I'd love to hold out hope our way of life will continue but I'm a realist.  I love our wonderful nation but the writing is on the wall as far as I'm concerned.

There is no way in hell the U.S. can hold out much longer.  My question is how long?  30 years?  20?  10?  5?

If you think there is any chance of getting back on track, then say so.  But a government which allows its people to vote in their own entitlements, accompanied by the filthy, cancerous liberal disease which permeates our society is doomed.

Poll inbound.

Edited cuss word in title.  Please, no cuss words in thread titles.  raf
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want the answer in Central or Eastern time?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

IBTP
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd love to hold out hope our way of life will continue but I'm a realist.  I love our wonderful nation but the writing is on the wall as far as I'm concerned.

There is no way in hell the U.S. can hold out much longer.  My question is how long?  30 years?  20?  10?  5?

If you think there is any chance of getting back on track, then say so.  But a government which allows its people to vote in their own entitlements, accompanied by the filthy, cancerous liberal disease which permeates our society is doomed.

Poll inbound.

Some quote about a nation not lasting very long when the people are allowed to vote themselves money out of the public treasury.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention this whole "war on terror" which will (already is) shred our constitution to ribbons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I didnt see an option for a fourth world shithole?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#6]
30+ years.

Loosen the tin foil.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to mention this whole "war on terror" which will (already is) shred our constitution to ribbons.

NY no less..

Don't you have a hitlary fund raiser some where to attend?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Piecemeal.  Regionally.  Incrementally.

Not all at once.

I voted "10".

But it's like "yesterday" for same areas, and 30+ years for some enclaves.

And no, there is no going back.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NY no less..

Better check that Patriot Act bud.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Not in our lifetime, but we'll definitely see the deterioration.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
After we shoot of some nukes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#13]
3-4 election cycles.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Next Thursday.  Any and all scheduling conflicts must be resolved prior to next Monday.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Travel to the following places and report back

Rio Grande Valley TX
5th Ward Houston TX
Camden,NJ
Baltimore,MD
Parts of LA
E St. Louis

just a few off the top of my head

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#16]
By 30+ years I mean probably never
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
There are parts of the country that are pretty bad, but since I think the rest of the world, especially Europe, will sink faster, I am not too worried.

We will be first world, because the rest of the world will be third world.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#18]
nevAr
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Next Thursday.  Any and all scheduling conflicts must be resolved prior to next Monday.  

I just checked my appointments and thursday is not happening

I can give you the second tuesday in Nov if nothing happens
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#20]
If I ever win the lottery, or otherwise come into a great deal of money, my first purchase will be this website - whatever the cost.

My first act as owner will be to rename it 'Chicken Little .COM'

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not all at once.

I voted "10".

Sad, but true.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'd love to hold out hope our way of life will continue but I'm a realist.

You're not a realist, you're a pessimist.

Have you ever been to a third world country?  We're quite a ways away...

Then again, ever been to New Orleans or parts of Southern Mississippi?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Rio Grande Valley TX
5th Ward Houston TX
Camden,NJ
Baltimore,MD
Parts of LA
E St. Louis

Yep, no poll option for 'already there'.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not all at once.

I voted "10".

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I ever win the lottery, or otherwise come into a great deal of money, my first purchase will be this website - whatever the cost.

My first act as owner will be to rename it 'Chicken Little .COM'

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#26]
People don't understand that the world is just the way we want it to be - if it weren't, we'd change it.

Things are the way they are because it is a good way to run things for the people who run things, which in a democracy is the majority of people. Things will not be permitted to become bad - the causes of real desperation and poverty have been eliminated from our country forever. Atomic weapons protect us from ever having to fight another war - ever - and our vast resources protect us from ever starving. If we run out of oil some day, we will use nuclear power plants to power electric cars, it isn't difficult.

The squabbles in america between left and right are the idle amusments of a truly secure, prosperous and powerful country, they would subside immediately if there was ever a real crisis. The chicken little morons who think democrats can destroy the country don't have even the most rudimentary understanding of how the world works, and they will be proven wrong, to no one's surprise but their own.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#27]
forgot the option for all ready has became a Third World Shithole!

kiss rest of the worlds ass before you take care of your own people!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like 70% of people here have never been to a real 3rd world shithole.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#29]
The world is gonna end in 2012 so who cares
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#30]
In localized areas it is already. Those areas will continue to increase in size.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Certain areas are already 3rd world shitholes, and certain areas are well ordered and expensive to live in.  This trend will continue and accelerate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#32]
We have Little Shitholes in every State
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Poll inbound.

Not happening any time soon...

If we become a 3rd world shithole, we will take the rest of the world with us....

As it stands, Europe will get there first... We will be 'the last best hope for peacecivilization' on earth....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NY no less..

Better check that Patriot Act bud.

Have you ever read it?

I don't think so...

(funny how all the PATRIOT Act haters have never read the damn thing)....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Rio Grande Valley TX
5th Ward Houston TX
Camden,NJ
Baltimore,MD
Parts of LA
E St. Louis

+1 I was wondering what the OP meant by "when"

When is now.

VIVA BUSH!

amnestia'
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
forgot the option for all ready has became a Third World Shithole!

kiss rest of the worlds ass before you take care of your own people!

More like 'protect the foundations of your power, or lose it'...

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#37]
There are several problems at work here, many of which can be traced back to corporate big business. We buy up their goods yet they pay workers shit wages without benefits, their CEOs obscene wages, outsource much of their production, buy off politicians, pay favored tax rates and on and on and on.

Partisan politics. The country is being run by extremists on both sides while the majority of Americans are moderates. Get behind a bipartisan movement and urge your legislator to compromise.

Pork barrel politics. Look at Ted Stevens' bridge to nowhere and projects just like it.

Legislators don't represent the people anymore. Follow the money. They represent contributors e.g. lobby groups, businesses, the religious right.

Illegal immigrants take work from tax paying citizens and send the tax free money they earn out of the country

I don't think all of this will make a third world country out of us, but the gap between the have's and the have not's will get bigger, the middle class is in real danger of disappearing and Democracy is in danger especially from big business and the religious right.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Poverty is not about money or lack thereof.

Poverty is PEOPLE and their shared values, or lack thereof.

There are no people on this planet today who are "poorer" than my dad's family during the dustbowl when the scabbed by trying to work migrant wheat harvests.

Starvation poor.

So poor they rejoiced over having found a fungus-covered rotted ham hanging in some abandoned farm's smokehouse and ate meat for the first time in months, except for a possom somebody had killed with broken hoe.

And yet they carried civilisation *within* them.  They were literate.  They honored the law and carried a thousand years of literacy and English common-law heritage INSIDE of THEM.  They *were* civilisation.  

They never locked their doors at night even if the shanty they were staying in at a given moment might have a lock because their neighbors might need to borrow something.

And their "thirld world" lifestyle was a temporary thing caused by drought and politics, not a downfall of the people themselves.

Our nation is now circling the drain into the third world because we -- as a people, as a whole -- no longer carry individual traits of civilisation -- of trustworthy character, achievement, and triumph over adversity INSIDE of us.

No, we are "the Great Society".

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
People don't understand that the world is just the way we want it to be - if it weren't, we'd change it.

Things are the way they are because it is a good way to run things for the people who run things, which in a democracy is the majority of people. Things will not be permitted to become bad - the causes of real desperation and poverty have been eliminated from our country forever. Atomic weapons protect us from ever having to fight another war - ever - and our vast resources protect us from ever starving. If we run out of oil some day, we will use nuclear power plants to power electric cars, it isn't difficult.

The squabbles in america between left and right are the idle amusments of a truly secure, prosperous and powerful country, they would subside immediately if there was ever a real crisis. The chicken little morons who think democrats can destroy the country don't have even the most rudimentary understanding of how the world works, and they will be proven wrong, to no one's surprise but their own.

Wow, you sure are an optimist. So you say people don't understand how things work, well what is your position in which you understand these things and we don't?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you sure are an optimist. So you say people don't understand how things work, well what is your position in which you understand these things and we don't?

It isn't difficult, look at our situation.

Americans have faced much worse odds before and come out on top, our human and natural resources are enough for us to maintain a civilized and happy standard of living indefinitely.

Civilization only ever comes to ruin if it destroys its resources or is destroyed in a war.

If we diligently maintain our natural resources, which we are doing a decent job of, we will not be brought down by the first danger, and our atomic weapons protect us from ever needing to worry about the second. There is no nation or people in the world capable of inflicting a fatal wound on the US, short of the Russians, who have proven during the cold war that they never will.

The sky isn't really falling, no matter what Chicken Littleists have to say on the subject.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I dare ask what the definition of a third-world shit hole is in this context. Traditionally, it's been an underdeveloped country with little or no economy, high poverty, economic dependence on other countries, and generally a low standard of living.

It would take a major catastrophe to turn America into this anytime soon and, though I know many would consider it a major catastrophe, even 100 years of Democratic rule would not bring us there.

Real third-world shit holes are places like Somalia and Sudan. Even the worst place in America now or in twenty years would be a much nicer place than even the best place in such countries.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Not all at once.

I voted "10".

I agree. New Orleans was exposed as one area that was already headed there, while others will be much slower. Anyone in America that saw the whole Katrina/NO event as simply a case of FEMA failing it's citizens after a big storm, wasn't paying attention. It revealed a lot more than that, but most of our fellow citizens wanted to focus on the missteps of the government to handle the mess after Katrina, as opposed to questioning what was taking place in that city in the preceeding years that brought it to such a state.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Loosen the tin foil man. Its not that bad yet.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#44]
20yrs.

Shit has gone down hill in the last 10, I cant imagine the next 20-30.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I've visited and lived in places like Hong Kong, China, Phillipines, Tijuana, and Iraq.  Most of those places define "Third World."  

I just can't imagine the slums, open sewers, over population, and chaos on THOSE SCALES existing in the US...I hope.

We have parts of our cities in the US like the mentioned but hopefully they stay contained.

BTW, if you are ever in California check out East LA.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NY no less..

Asshole!  I didn't vote for that cunt!  Plenty of good folks in NY.  We just happen to be outnumbered by the libs.  NOT MY FAULT!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Lord, lots of whiney, I surrender types......Buck up little troopers and pull them boots up by the strap, it'll be ok......
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Looks like 70% of people here have never been to a real 3rd world shithole.

No kidding. I think the GD definition of a "third world shithole" is a place where they only have one color TV and the Starbucks closes at 8pm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Poverty is not about money or lack thereof.

Poverty is PEOPLE and their shared values, or lack thereof.

There are no people on this planet today who are "poorer" than my dad's family during the dustbowl when the scabbed by trying to work migrant wheat harvests.

Starvation poor.

So poor they rejoiced over having found a fungus-covered rotted ham hanging in some abandoned farm's smokehouse and ate meat for the first time in months, except for a possom somebody had killed with broken hoe.

And yet they carried civilisation *within* them.  They were literate.  They honored the law and carried a thousand years of literacy and English common-law heritage INSIDE of THEM.  They *were* civilisation.  

They never locked their doors at night even if the shanty they were staying in at a given moment might have a lock because their neighbors might need to borrow something.

And their "thirld world" lifestyle was a temporary thing caused by drought and politics, not a downfall of the people themselves.

Our nation is now circling the drain into the third world because we -- as a people, as a whole -- no longer carry individual traits of civilisation -- of trustworthy character, achievement, and triumph over adversity INSIDE of us.

No, we are "the Great Society".

Good post.  Insightful.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#50]
It's already began in California!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top