Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag, because I have the same problem and think it's the fuel evaporating away.

_MaH

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds about right.

The fluid will evaporate over time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
it evaporates pretty quickly
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I bought an arfkom zippo, don't smoke but setting things on fire is fun. Anyway I fill it up with lighter fluid and it stops working after a few weeks, I don't use it for anything, it just sits there. Seems odd

A week with daily, fairly heavy use.

When I smoked, it was routine to fill it every weekend.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Kept inside a hot car a week is good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Just tape it to the fuel container and put everything in your pocket.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I have to fill this thing every couple of weeks just to have it ride around in my pocket in case I get lost in the woods or get drunk and want to set stuff on fire? Yes I know there are more uber survival lighters but I like this one, well when it works anyway.

Yep, a couple weeks sounds about right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So I have to fill this thing every couple of weeks just to have it ride around in my pocket in case I get lost in the woods or get drunk and want to set stuff on fire? Yes I know there are more uber survival lighters but I like this one, well when it works anyway.

The Zippo needs care. If you want something to carry around for emergencies or general lighting-shit-on-fire, use a regular Bic.

You carry a Zippo for the cool sounds it makes, the tricks it can do, and the general classiness of it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep the fuel next to your coffee pot and give it squirt every morning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Zippo needs care. If you want something to carry around for emergencies or general lighting-shit-on-fire, use a regular Bic.

You carry a Zippo for the cool sounds it makes, the tricks it can do, and the general classiness of it.

Or use a Z-plus butane insert instead of the Naptha insert.

The butane deal should hold gas a very, very long time.

Of course, then you have a torch, instead of a candle.

Matter of preference and purpose I suppose.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

short answer is yes...I use my zippo on a daily basis I refuel mine once a week if it needs it or not
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Ronsonol in my Zippos and have noticed the same evaporation problem (I assume this is why it's so easy to light).
Will lamp oil or anything else a little less volatile work in Zippos, or will this just make the lighter unlightable?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#17]
My Arfcom Zippo will light about two cigars before is stops burning and needs a refill. Cigars aren't supposed to be lit by a Zippo type lighter but hey, I have an ARFCOM FREAKIN ZIPPO! I'm gonna use it until it's taken from my cold dead hand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I've given up on Zippos. I can't even get my old zippo (8 years old) to work at all anymore, I changed the wick, filled it up but it just wont light
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought an arfkom zippo, don't smoke but setting things on fire is fun. Anyway I fill it up with lighter fluid and it stops working after a few weeks, I don't use it for anything, it just sits there. Seems odd

A week with daily, fairly heavy use.
When I smoked, it was routine to fill it every weekend.

This
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've given up on Zippos. I can't even get my old zippo (8 years old) to work at all anymore, I changed the wick, filled it up but it just wont light

Usually that means your flint it toast.  It'll still spark, but its to weak to ignite the wick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mine only works for about five days... Even if I don't use it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you can't get a Zippo to work, you need to turn in your man card.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#23]
mine did the same thing
so I got one of these for it
http://www.elighters.com/zplus.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Guys, Zippo lighters are sturdy, dependable and durable American machines.
They do however require upkeep and occasional maintenance. Just like your guns.

First, Zippo lighters are made in America. Cherish this.
They are also guaranteed for life (except for the finish) and Zippo will fix or replace any Zippo lighter for free, forever.

Second, they use a liquid fuel that is commonly available.
Just about any flammable liquid will work. Diesel, kerosene, vodka, gasoline, etc.
These are not the recommended fuels but most will work. Soldiers have been fueling their Zippos with diesel for decades.

Third, The fuel does not last indefinitely. It will eventually evaporate. Just like your car, boat, or lawnmower.
Under daily use, a fill-up will last you 1-2 weeks. YMMV.
If you are packing one for SHTF, store it dry and keep the fuel in it's original air-tight container or better, get a fuel bottle.
This is a function of the volatility of the fuel, not the design of the lighter.
After the apocalypse, you can use the rendered fat of your enemies. Yup, that will work in a Zippo.

Fourth, The fuel, wick, and flint are all consumable.
All three of these items are commonly available at any drug store, smoke shop, Walmart, etc. in America.
A wick will last you years. A flint, months.
Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item.
You can also wad up a spare wick and add it to the cotton packing, it will be there if you need it.

Finally, keep it clean. A Zippo is a machine. It is made entirely of metal and has moving parts and springs.
Occasionally clean the wick and adjust it for length if the flame gets too low or the wick won't take fire.
Use a Q-tip and some fuel to clean the carbon off the wick and around it's base inside the chimney.

Lightly lube the hinge, spark wheel and the contact point on the lid where the dog bone shaped cam rubs against it.
You can even very lightly lube the outside of the insert at risk (completely theoretical) of contaminating the fuel.
You clean your AR, right? You have a freakin' bucket full of fancy high-temp space age Teflon/Moly bullshit, right?
You know how to remove carbon, right? Well, clean your Zippo with the same shit when it gets mucked up from daily use.

Your Zippo will last a lifetime if you treat it right.
And if it gets run over by a Mack truck Zippo will fix it for free.
Did I say free? Yes sir, free, that has always been their corporate policy.
Buy American while you still can.

There will be no bad mouthing of Zippo while I'm around.
Got that Nancy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#27]
the lighter is not gas-proof, and there is no gas valve.  fuel evaporates from the wick, and the most you should expect from a soaked sponge is 1-2 weeks.  

make sure the wick is trimmed properly––it should not extend above the shroud.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Do not overfill. Go back and read that again,I'll wait.......If you do so and put it in your pocket do so at your own peril Ask anyone who has had a zippo about this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I get about two weeks out of mine, but just remember the time you need that Zippo the most it will be dry as a fresh changed baby's ass

So always keep a can of Zippo juice and some spare flints with you

I like your new avatar.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Do not overfill. Go back and read that again,I'll wait.......If you do so and put it in your pocket do so at your own peril

Ask anyone who has had a zippo about this.

I couldn't understand why my leg felt like it was on fire for the longest time.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sounds about right.

The fluid will evaporate over time.

I agree.

Also, when you do fill it, don't be afraid to saturate that cotton.

I love the sound Zippos make when closing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You have to have vesseled virgins trim the wick.....

ETA: I carry my spare flints on top of the bottom layer of cotton, inside the lighter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
For lighting a smoke or fire outdoors a zippo is the shit. Wind proof. They do need to be filled fairly often.

Ive had a few that didnt work or the top broke off. Sent them to zippo and when they came bak they worked like new. No charge.

For a survival situation, I would have a few bics sealed in an air tight container.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]

My zippo lasts a week with regular use and my IMCO torch is about the same. Does anyone know if you can use any other fuel source in a Zippo or an IMCO?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I get about two weeks out of mine, but just remember the time you need that Zippo the most it will be dry as a fresh changed baby's ass

So always keep a can of Zippo juice and some spare flints with you

I keep one in the glove compartment of my car. A couple of extra flints inside under the insert. Gasoline works just fine for fuel.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My zippo lasts a week with regular use and my IMCO torch is about the same. Does anyone know if you can use any other fuel source in a Zippo or an IMCO?

Any flammable liquid. YMMV.
Zippo fluid is naptha.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do not overfill. Go back and read that again,I'll wait.......If you do so and put it in your pocket do so at your own peril Ask anyone who has had a zippo about this.

I couldn't understand why my leg felt like it was on fire for the longest time.

Damn skippy.  

Used to carry one, about 1 refill out of 3 I'd get zippo thigh.  Sumbitch burns...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: I carry my spare flints on top of the bottom layer of cotton, inside the lighter.

ha, I'm not the only one that does that.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

THIS. Most people want to fill the thing till you can see fluid puddle on top of the packing....You don't need to do this, a 3-5 second burst of fluid once a week is more than enough.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ha, I'm not the only one that does that.  

Yep.

best flints are the ones from a Bic lighter that went out, or that ended up in your pocket. Clip it in half with some wirecutters or a Leatherman, one half in the lighter, other half under the cotton.

Fluid will last about 7-10 days, depending on how much you smoke.

If you don't use it at all, I wouldn't give it more than 2-3 weeks tops for the fluid to evaporate out of it.

And yes, they can be run on Avgas. (100LL) A bit smokey, but it works fine. Won't last as long as Zippo fluid either.

Man, I miss smoking just for carrying and using that Zippo...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have heard several veterans tell me that you can tie a string to the insert and dunk it in the fuel tank of any old vehicle that happens to by lying around.

Apparently this was SOP in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use Ronsonol in my Zippos and have noticed the same evaporation problem (I assume this is why it's so easy to light).
Will lamp oil or anything else a little less volatile work in Zippos, or will this just make the lighter unlightable?

Kingsford charcoal starter works ok.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Some good points about zippos here.  I got one when I was about 13 for the cool factor and pyro tendencies.  I learned a lot about them.  All the upkeep is worth it when you impress some chicks with one.

For you nancies (and cigar smokers) the Z-Plus insert rocks and requires absolutely no looking after other than overfilling and gas adjustment.  I had one and I lost it.  I would definitely get another.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#44]
3 weeks. It's why I gave up on lighters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Lots of good info here ...

Quoted:

Guys, Zippo lighters are sturdy, dependable and durable American machines.
They do however require upkeep and occasional maintenance. Just like your guns.

First, Zippo lighters are made in America. Cherish this.
They are also guaranteed for life (except for the finish) and Zippo will fix or replace any Zippo lighter for free, forever.

Second ...

<snip>

Fourth, The fuel, wick, and flint are all consumable.
All three of these items are commonly available at any drug store, smoke shop, Walmart, etc. in America.
A wick will last you years. A flint, months.

Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item ...

However, why not this ?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Somehow the level of drama over a lighter thats been around twice as long as I have never ceases to amaze me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#47]
About 3-5 days if you smoke.

Quoted:

You guys are mostly too new to remember Computerguy's thread asking how to replace the flint

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item ...

However, why not this ?

[/quote]

Cause you can fit a half dozen or more under the pad , instead of leaving them in that little plastic thingy to get lost.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My Arfcom Zippo will light about two cigars before is stops burning and needs a refill. Cigars aren't supposed to be lit by a Zippo type lighter but hey, I have an ARFCOM FREAKIN ZIPPO! I'm gonna use it until it's taken from my cold dead hand.

God that has to taste nasty
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Where is my zippo? I haven't been able to find it since January.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top