Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:01:52 PM EST
Have been working on the Scout today. Happily welding away, not a care in the world. I just finished making a very small patch panel. I was tack welding it in place, and hadn't put my welding mask on yet. On my last tack weld I forgot to close my eyes....DUH!!! I only stared into the light for half a second maybe.

Is flash burn something I would notice right away? I seem to remember my father in law saying last time he did it, i didn't start hurting until later in the evening.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:08:07 PM EST
i have tack some metal and forgot to close my eyes while tacking.like you only a fraction of a second,
then i think "dumbass put the helment on before you really fuck up!"

don't think you have to really worry about anything if it is not bothing you now.but i also am not a welder or a eye dr.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:09:02 PM EST
It varies from person to person, but it only takes a second to nail you.

First time I got burned it took 6-8 hours, when I tried to sleep my eyes burned like hell....it's a miserable feeling.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:09:36 PM EST
87 seconds of continuous exposure will blind you
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:14:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 7:15:23 PM EST by FlamingGlory]
Welder's flash you get an eye tic, tearing, light sensitvity, burning sensation... Can take like a day to start and heals eventually. What you wont feel that causes the most damage is infrared, causes cataracts in later life with long term exposure.

I wouldnt worry too much but EYEPRO IS IMPORTANT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:33:25 PM EST
Really....you can get an auto darkening at Harbor for less than the cost of an appointment at the eye doctor. Plus, welding and chipping without eye protection can allow pieces of metal to become embedded in your eye. Stop at any diagnostic imaging place and ask to see the form patients have to fill out for an MRI. They did the xray on a friend of mine who welds and they found bits of metal in his eye. No can do the MRI because of metal in the eye. He loved having the myelogram done instead.

I'm not trying to be an ass here but some of the guys on this site just will not take eye and ear protection seriously. Please don't get 'stuck on stupid'.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:46:09 PM EST
It takes some decent exposure to really make your eyes hurt.

You may be really sensitive, but I've been flashed a few times and been okay. Its when you get to staring or next to someone welding without any protection that it really gets you. Thinking "I can't see it directly, im good!" tends to get people burned pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:47:00 PM EST
106!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:25 PM EST
I flashed myself pretty good stick welding once. Didn't have any problems other than a huge blue spot in my vision for about 15 mins. I second the recommendation of the auto darkening helmet though. It makes things a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:06:40 PM EST
I burned mine several times - usually shows up about 9 or 10 O'clock at night after a day's work. You don't have to be looking directly at it to get burned. The reflection or whatever it is off of walls, etc. will get you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:09:01 PM EST
I burned my eyes,did not notice anything for about an hour,then i had to black out the room because my eyes hurt so bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:14:03 PM EST
about 30 seconds.......I found out in welding class in high school.....felt like my eyes were full of burning sand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:16:23 PM EST
Well it only takes about 30 seconds for damage to start. Anymore and you will feel it.
Untill you have had your Paramedic class Doc. patch both your eyes, and proceed to tell the wife how to beat the crap out of you for being such a dumb ass. And give you the minimal pain medication to make sure you knew how much you had fucked up, you have not lived and learned.
I put on a helmet now when ever I am close to a ARC.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:25:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tallbob:
Really....you can get an auto darkening at Harbor for less than the cost of an appointment at the eye doctor. Plus, welding and chipping without eye protection can allow pieces of metal to become embedded in your eye. Stop at any diagnostic imaging place and ask to see the form patients have to fill out for an MRI. They did the xray on a friend of mine who welds and they found bits of metal in his eye. No can do the MRI because of metal in the eye. He loved having the myelogram done instead.

I'm not trying to be an ass here but some of the guys on this site just will not take eye and ear protection seriously. Please don't get 'stuck on stupid'.

I've got an auto darkening helmet already. The area I was welding in is underneath the clutch pedal. I'd just gotten done grinding my little filler piece and was testing the fit. Figured since it fit so well and the welder was laying next to me, I'd tack it before I grabbed the helmet. Worked great for the first 2 tacks........not so great for the 3rd
Top Top