Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:25:20 PM EST
Was talking with someone earlier and she mentioned that some dude was killed in a parking lot over the weekend. No other information known.

A friend of hers had parked her car in the parking lot. The friend then comes out to find the police have taped the area off due to the homicide. The friend, nor the friend's friend can get to their cars. A couple of hours later they try again, and are told to go find a hotel and come back in the morning.

To me it sounded a bit ridiculous. I can see a reasonable amount of time for them to investigate, but not overnight.

There any general rule on that?

2nd is hypothetical. Say there is a shooting in a neighborhood, or a barricaded suspect, etc. and the police rope off the roads. They tell people not to leave their houses, it's for their safety, etc. That hold any weight?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:02:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By sslocal:

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
...I dunno, but it pisses me off to no end when some window licking drooler cacks himself...
....and Darwin smiles.....

Damn dude, thats harsh.

Operate your vehicle in an out of control fashion and die? Expect no sympathy from me-particularly when your retarded ass puts other non-retarded people at risk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:07:19 PM EST
I had a dude shot right in front of my house,even let the Norman Police use my front porch outlet for there huge night lights(this was at 12'00 pM)they taped off my front yard my truck was used to tie some yellow crime tape on.

They got through with the investigation at 4:30 AM ,and thanked me and cut me loose,I even told them I heard what sounded like three 9Mil shots.

They found two shell caseings then two hours later found the third.

So to answer your question,just as long as it takes to get the job done to thier satisfaction.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:26:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Was talking with someone earlier and she mentioned that some dude was killed in a parking lot over the weekend. No other information known.

A friend of hers had parked her car in the parking lot. The friend then comes out to find the police have taped the area off due to the homicide. The friend, nor the friend's friend can get to their cars. A couple of hours later they try again, and are told to go find a hotel and come back in the morning.

To me it sounded a bit ridiculous. I can see a reasonable amount of time for them to investigate, but not overnight.

There any general rule on that?

2nd is hypothetical. Say there is a shooting in a neighborhood, or a barricaded suspect, etc. and the police rope off the roads. They tell people not to leave their houses, it's for their safety, etc. That hold any weight?

I saw an area taped off for 14+ hours....there were about 6 cars INSIDE the tape...they all had to wait. Made the news.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:45:12 AM EST
There is no "set" time for a crime scene. It takes as long as it takes. Even in obvious cases where dummy plows into a semi trailer or shoots himself in the head in front of 50 people.

As LEO we owe it to the family to do as detailed a crime scene and get as much evidence as possible. Once the tape comes down there is no going back.

We had some Putz run through a barricade at a festival. Dude plowed over 40 people in 3 blocks before crashing into another car. The scene was up for almost 8 hours before traffic started flowing again. Then there was probably another 4 or 5 hours of interviews and tagging evidence after the tape came down. Makes for long days for everyone.

If something bad happened to your family member and the bad guy walked because of a minor difference in a drawing of where a piece of evidence was found or who found it you would be pissed at the police for screwing up the case.

It is an inconvenience for you not to be able to move your car or leave your house but after the OJ trial and the BS that they went through it has to be done right.

A fifteen year old kid gets off a city bus last week and tries to cross the street when they get hit by a car speeding down the road. Car flees the scene and kid is going to die. If you were a passenger on the bus would you be upset when we held you for an interview that may take several hours? If you were the parents of the kid would you be upset if I didn't do everything I could to catch the driver?

Sorry for the trouble but the victim has to come first.
Top Top