Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 1:11:18 PM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
I "won" an Ebay auction this past weekend, and started this thread about it. I decided that it was a good enough deal on the laptop and sent the guy payment via PayPal. The auction ended Sunday afternoon, and I sent paymeny on Monday night. I have since not heard from the seller. I know it hasn't been very long, but I get real nervous with Ebay deals. Whenever I sell something on Ebay, I am overly responsive to buyers for this reason.

What do you guys think? When would you start to be concerned?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I "won" an Ebay auction this past weekend, and started this thread about it. I decided that it was a good enough deal on the laptop and sent the guy payment via PayPal. The auction ended Sunday afternoon, and I sent paymeny on Monday night. I have since not heard from the seller. I know it hasn't been very long, but I get real nervous with Ebay deals. Whenever I sell something on Ebay, I am overly responsive to buyers for this reason.

Another e-bay laptop? I wonder if the government will call about this one and then you'll start a thread where people will say all kinds of shit from swap the HDD to send it to them with nails in the HDD.

I'll never buy a computer that isn't new (if I ever buy one again anyway) after reading that.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:27:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Another e-bay laptop? I wonder if the government will call about this one and then you'll start a thread where people will say all kinds of shit from swap the HDD to send it to them with nails in the HDD.

I'll never buy a computer that isn't new (if I ever buy one again anyway) after reading that.

I can't afford a new laptop like this one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:31:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

I can't afford a new laptop like this one.

I hear you.

I got out of the computer arms race. Too much money.
I have a kick-ass machine at work but not at home. I sold an old desktop for chump change to some parent that wanted a toy for their kid and now I just have a laptop-paperweight that I used to use as an MP3 jukebox plugged into my stereo receiver. I'll sell it at a yard sale or something one day. It has been more than replaced by an iPod that holds more songs and is the size of a pack of smokes.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:38:17 PM EDT
What's his rating? any communication between the two of you other than through ebay ? I'd give him at least till Friday for a confirmation one way or other ..
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:54:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sabre331:
What's his rating? any communication between the two of you other than through ebay ? I'd give him at least till Friday for a confirmation one way or other ..

His rating is 1460, 99.4% positive. The majority of the feedback is from buyers.

OH FUCK!!! He is no longer a registered Ebay user!! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:17:06 PM EDT
Contest the charge with either PayPal
or the CC company (if you used one).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:28:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
Contest the charge with either PayPal
or the CC company (if you used one).

I wrote the seller another e-mail just now. If I do not hear from them shortly, I will probably be contacting both PayPal and AMEX.

Fortunately, the item was covered by PayPal's Buyer Protection, but I am still pretty nervous.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:48:30 PM EDT
This is why I barely buy off eScam (ebay).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:16:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BLY:
This is why I barely buy off eScam (ebay).

Yeah, but where else can I find a large selection of used laptops?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:18:15 PM EDT
all you can do is wait. The time period to ship is like 5 days or something. After that, initiate a chargeback. Remember, egay is on the side of the buyer, not the seller.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:50 PM EDT
Ok, if you are going to buy something off of eBay here is what you first need to do.

1. Check his rating.
2. Check to see how long he has been registered.
3. Check his feedback to see when the last time he sold something.
4. Check to see what other auctions are open and when they end.

The guy might have an account that is 2 years old with 1,000 feedback but if he hasn't sold anything for 9 months but now has 100 laptops listed all ending on the same day with no additional auctions....HELLO, it's a scam.

This doesn't happen with just laptops, electronics, or other high priced items. Last year I was trying to buy a crossbow and ended up bidding on a hacked account and the guy was selling crossbows. I could tell something wasn't right and didn't send a payment.

The thieves work be some how hacking accounts with good standings that haven't been used in awhile. So if it's been several months since the person has sold anything and the items he is selling aren't similar to what he used to sell, in my case it cheap photo equipment and then all of a sudden he had a dozen crossbows to sell, then you know to either get more information or just avoid it because it's a scam.

As for buying a used laptop, there are plenty of reputable dealers in used equipment on eBay they have 10,000+ feedback and sell things every day. Go through one of those.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:44:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT by thelastgunslinger]

Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Ok, if you are going to buy something off of eBay here is what you first need to do.

1. Check his rating.
2. Check to see how long he has been registered.
3. Check his feedback to see when the last time he sold something.
4. Check to see what other auctions are open and when they end.

The guy might have an account that is 2 years old with 1,000 feedback but if he hasn't sold anything for 9 months but now has 100 laptops listed all ending on the same day with no additional auctions....HELLO, it's a scam.

This doesn't happen with just laptops, electronics, or other high priced items. Last year I was trying to buy a crossbow and ended up bidding on a hacked account and the guy was selling crossbows. I could tell something wasn't right and didn't send a payment.

The thieves work be some how hacking accounts with good standings that haven't been used in awhile. So if it's been several months since the person has sold anything and the items he is selling aren't similar to what he used to sell, in my case it cheap photo equipment and then all of a sudden he had a dozen crossbows to sell, then you know to either get more information or just avoid it because it's a scam.

As for buying a used laptop, there are plenty of reputable dealers in used equipment on eBay they have 10,000+ feedback and sell things every day. Go through one of those.

He had a feedabck rating of 1460. 99.4% positive. Mostly from buyers. Been registered since 2002. I checked his current auctions at the time, and nothing looked strange.

I feel like I did my homework on the seller.

ETA: There was evidence of shill bidding on the auction as well. I posted a thread about that. The link is at the top of this thread. Many members here said that my integrity was on the line if I did not pay my bid. I decided that the laptop was a good enough deal, so I sent payment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:49:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stormtrooper:
all you can do is wait. The time period to ship is like 5 days or something. After that, initiate a chargeback. Remember, egay is on the side of the buyer, not the seller.

My e-mails have not been answered. I don't want to wait 5 days if he won't contact me and his eBay account has been turned off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:10:45 PM EDT
If ebay unpluged him get your money back. You havent heard from himm for a reason.
Top Top