Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:59:26 PM EDT
It's just a matter of time.  Most states make motorcycle riders wear them.  Seat belt laws are common.  There can be no question it will save lives.  Air bags don't always protect the pumpkin.

If smoking kills, it mainly kills older people.  Car accidents claim both the very young and the very  old.  Head injuries are devastating for both the survivor and the loved ones.  

Yep, it's going to mess your hair up but that's too bad.  I'm surprised Vulva drivers aren't already wearing them!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yassarian is right, been on the books here for years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody outside of racing wears a helmet in a car.  But, one day you will.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It's actually a smart thing to do, considering head trauma is the leading killer in auto accidents.  6 point belts are another one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The logic is correct - wearing crash helmets in cars would definitely enhance safety.

However, even people who understand this - like trauma surgeons, automotive engineers, etc - don't do so themselves voluntarily, so I imagine it's one of those things where the hassle is just not worth the slight increase in safety (from a probability standpoint).

By the same logic, you could pass laws that cars need to have their brakes, throttle and steering inspected every month - but I don't think you are going to see those laws either, even though it also could save lives.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
helmet, nomex suit, kidney belt, and hans devices all in the next ten years
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgive me because I don't have a cite/link to back this up but I seem to recall a guy a few years ago getting stopped just because he WAS wearing a helmet while driving his car.  IIRC he cited saftey as being the reason he was doing it but the idea didn't go over very well with the po-po.

Can't recall if he was ticketed or not.

Have to do some Googling and see if this actually happend or just some net-lore that I dimly recall.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Congressmen's wives won't allow it to happen.    

Genius - cuts right to the heart of the matter!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Genius - cuts right to the heart of the matter!!

Yea but they dont have to go by the rules like us normal people
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's actually a smart thing to do, considering head trauma is the leading killer in auto accidents.  6 point belts are another one.

New from Volvo! The 7 - point belt!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll try and ban cars first.  In the interest of promoting environmentally friendly shared People's mass transit.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Wait until 2009 when the nanny state Democrats are in power again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing has always puzzled me, we have TONS of restrictions placed on cars - crash tests, seat belts, side impact regs, safety glass, gas tank placement & construction etc etc.  

So why then are motorcycles allowed at all?  One can also license a home-built vehicle that is far from crash worthy.  Why not just erase all safety laws and let the market rule on what gets bought according to how much safety you want to buy in a vehicle?  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
No road head, never gonna happen.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Kalifornia possibly...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't forget the numbers on the doors and roof.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Obviously a helmet to be worn in a car would have to be designed to allow full view and hearing.  Add a good 5 point safety belt and you would be safer.   Think of all the crippled for life young people this might have saved and then ask yourself, 'Wouldn't you sleep better knowing your loved ones were so protected'?  

I'm not advocating these things, I just think it's time we took automobile safety a little more seriously than AIDS.   Not PC but true IMHO.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Just like the seat belt law, a quick note from your Doc will let you out of the requirement.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not advocating a law. My concern is as our society becomes dumber and dumber driving is becoming more and more hazardous.  You can't protect yourself from mass idiots.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sure they will. There will just be exceptions, of which they will make sure they qualify for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#24]
If they do try to do it, the first step will be to require helmets for small kids.

Someone mentioned helmets obstructing view.  If your helmet obstructs your view, it's the wrong size, or you're wearing it backwards.  

And no who gets perms is going to allow this to become law.  They'll burn down the state capitol building before they let someone mess with their hair.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#25]

6 point belts are another one.

Those are proven to be safer, but generally speaking, here in SC any sort of added safety device is illegal.  If you put a cage in a car, you'll eventually get nailed for it.  That's the same reason you can't add a rollover cage to a pick-up that connects to the frame.  Same with adding 6-point belts or wider seat belts.  While I never got a ticket for it, after my seat belts dry rotted in my van, I replaced them with wider ones since that's what I found cheap.  I didn't know at the time how much of a hassle that was going to cause for myself.  The cops make sure you don't try to protect yourself better than the other sheep.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#26]
You have never been on a ride with my wife! I allready wear a helmet when she is driving!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Those are proven to be safer, but generally speaking, here in SC any sort of added safety device is illegal.  If you put a cage in a car, you'll eventually get nailed for it.  That's the same reason you can't add a rollover cage to a pick-up that connects to the frame.  Same with adding 6-point belts or wider seat belts.  While I never got a ticket for it, after my seat belts dry rotted in my van, I replaced them with wider ones since that's what I found cheap.  I didn't know at the time how much of a hassle that was going to cause for myself.  The cops make sure you don't try to protect yourself better than the other sheep.

What kind of screwed-up logic did they use to justify making better safety gear illegal?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have my Snell M-00 helmet for drag racing in my car. I actually wore it for auto-crossing and the field of view isn't bad at all. I'd wear my helmet for driving if it didn't attract too much attention.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Texas doesn't even require motorcyclists to wear helemts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I currently wear an ACH when I drive.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#31]
snowboarders wear helmets and what occurs is more neck injuries just below the back edge of the helmet...so with cars, less concusions and more cripples...that will increase health care costs...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, little by little people like Rebecca Peters, Insurance companys and lawyers are taking all the swingsets out of parks, making it manditory for kids and adults to wear helmets for bikeing, skateing, sledding...etc  

I feel sorry for kids these days.  My daughter told me at her public school they won't even let kids touch each other in any way, and running is only permited if it's by yourself away from other people.  WTF????
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Great idea, but not practical on the street.
Helmets are way too distracting for everyday use.
On the dragstrip is fine...  You only need to see what's in front of you anyway.
A five-point restraint system is also a good idea, but again, way too restrictive for everyday use.
When I'm suited-up and strapped into a race car, I can't move any more than what's needed to drive. It's a very secure feeling, but not one I'd want in my street car.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Guess that depends on 2008.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#35]
A buddy and I have been talking about marketing the "URBAN HELMET" for all day use.

I mean...  EVERY kid you see riding a bike wears a helmet these days.  Why not ALL DAY USE??

Kind of like the "urban sombrero" off of Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Since the helmet law was repealed,  I've seen a few people wearing helmets that were decorative
and probably served virtually no protective function.    

Yeah, PA repealed its helmet law* recently and I've seen more and more of those stupid chrome Fritz-type helmets on the road.  

We had one guy wear one to our MSF class and the instructor (gently) chided him for it.   Those helmets have stickers all over the inside saying "this won't protect you, it's for decoration only" but still people wear them ... just goes to show that for those people, it's more about IMAGE than anything else.  

*:  You are still required to wear a helmet unless you are over 21 AND you have 2+ years of riding experience.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#37]
PRK will be the first
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

New from Volvo! The 7 - point belt!

That seventh one always makes me walk funny.

CO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

right, so if I am mandated to wear a helmet while driving my car, I better be able to drive it at 200mph
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
A buddy and I have been talking about marketing the "URBAN HELMET" for all day use.

I mean...  EVERY kid you see riding a bike wears a helmet these days.  Why not ALL DAY USE??

Kind of like the "urban sombrero" off of Seinfeld.

All it takes is one guy using his helmet to rob a store by headbutting everyone. Next thing you know, there will be a ban on assault helmets. They should be banned, for the children!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#41]

How long before we have to wear helmets in cars?  

87 Weeks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

What has that to do with a discussion about helmets?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think helmets will ever be required in passenger cars.  It definitely won't happen in the near future and probably never will happen.  The auto industry is all about "passive" restraints.  A helmet is not a passive restraint.  That's where air bags come in.

One problem that helmets add extra weight to the head.  That's bad news for the neck when the body is strapped into a seat and the head is free to move about in a collision.  A helmet in a street car is a bad idea without some limitation on the helmet's range of movement.  That's partly why F1 and other racing series require straps that anchor the helmet to the seat.

Another problem is that helmets have to fit properly to protect fully.  Not only do people have different size heads, but everyone's head shape is unique too.  A helmet has to fit snugly and conform to the shape of your head to protect it properly.  That's one reason why sharing helmets is a big no no.  It's not like a life jacket where you could just keep five or six of them in the car.  Everyone would have to have their own helmet every time they rode in a car.

The primary purpose of a helmet is to protect the skull and the brain from impacts that could otherwise cause life-threatening or fatal injuries.  That type of impact is less less likely to occur inside a closed vehicle (especially when passengers are wearing seatbelts and the vehicle is equipped with front and side-impact air bags).

I wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle.  I don't care whether the law required it or not, I'd wear one anyway.  It doesn't take much to sustain a lethal or incapacitating head injury on a motorcycle without a helmet and it's a simple thing to wear one.

I'd wear a helmet in my car for every day driving, but only if it had some sort of retention system that would allow my to move my head around under normal circumstances and keep it strapped to the seat in a crash.

As for a safety harness, I'd gladly wear a 5-point harness in my car right now.  My two-year old daughter has one in her car seat.  I wear one when I fly, why not when I drive?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#44]
That won't be a problem. I already drive wearing this.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#45]
There have been several attempts here in Australia by "concerned doctors" and related types to get people to wear some kind of helmet while driving, but the attempts have never picked up any serious interest among the people with the power to make it law.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
snowboarders wear helmets and what occurs is more neck injuries just below the back edge of the helmet...so with cars, less concusions and more cripples...that will increase health care costs...

Like the riddle my Grandfather told me.

In WW1, the amount of people with head wounds rose significantly when the Army began issuing helmets, why?

People without helmets were more likely to die when injuries to the head were sustained, while those with them lived, which effectivly turned dead poeple into wounded people.

The same holds true today in Iraq.  The armor worn by the troops protects them from death, but does not protect their arms/legs, therefor a dissproportioned amount of troops suffer appendage loss than in WW2.

Realy though, if the .gov had any wan't to make cars safe, then cars wouldn't have optional saftey options.  They would all have head, body, side, and front air bags for all passengers.  Seatbelt lockouts, roll bars, and thicker frames.

Hell, the meer fact that at one time, a simple lap belt that still left you SMASHING your face into the steering wheel when it WORKED, was considered enough, does not inspire confidence.  

Besides, you can't hamper peoples ability to reach out of their window to grab a Big Mac and a Large Coke now can you?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Wearing a helmet in a car is not a good idea.  The extra weight is a real problem in an accident.   For kids it would be even worse.  The old style type of helmet that Dale Earnhardt was wearing was a contributing factor in his death.  They also hinder movement and obstruct peripheral vision.  NASCAR drivers use a helmet that is strapped to the seat and they have spotters looking out for things they can't see.  We only have our wives to do that for us and they aren't always in the car with us.  Besides, my plan is not to get into any accidents.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The only reason (in Florida) why someone could get ticketed for wearing a helmet in a car is if it covers his ears, providing an obstruction to hearing.

Yet what do firemen do in the fire truck?  Wear headsets.    Effectively blocking most outside noises.

Go figure.

Things are so backwards.  These days, your kids HAVE to wear helmets when riding bicycles, but their parents are allowed to ride motorcycles with NO helmet.  (Florida repealed its helmet law.).............................................................................................

CJ

I'll go you one better, and this MAY have changed recently, but at one point if a child was riding in the parents's pick up, it had to be belted or in a child seat. BUT it was ok to haul around a litter of kids in the BACK of the truck.

As soon as Nanny Washington threatens to withhold $, FL will jump to their tune and cyclists will be back in helmets. Maybe they threw them out in the garage.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Not true.  Under 21 age riders MUST wear a helmet and if you are older, you must have MSF AND insurance PLUS a sticker on the bike assuring compliance.

Helmetless riding in Texas requires a permit for being stupid.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#50]

I already have to wear a helmet in my car when I'm on an SCCA Solo II course.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top