Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 2:25:28 PM EDT
As part of my exercise program I have been riding my bicycle to work a couple times a week. 10 miles each way.
The whole way I go has sidewalk so I am not riding in Northern VA rush hour traffic EXCEPT one small part a couple hundred yards long.

Normally this would not be a big deal, but this happens to be the worst possible place to have no sidewalk.  It is extremely narrow. There is not even a shoulder. It also is a blind curve and it is also the bottom of a hill both ways. It is a fucking death trap!  I've seen people walking on this section almost get killed. Every time I ride it I pedal for dear life to get through it.

There is woods on one side. A creek runs through it. It is just the drainage land for the surrounding neighborhoods and business parks(one business is Aimpoint.)
There is a trail, but it leads to a neighborhood. Nowhere near continuing on the road.  Technically there is a 3 mile work around cutting through neighborhoods.

2 options

1. Document everything. Take it to city counsel and how they see how stupid it is to not have any safe pass for non-vehicular traffic at this spot. Wait forever.  Get killed.  They put up an Mjohn3006 memorial path for people to use 4 years later.

2. Go in with a machete and hack myself a fucking path.

How legal is option 2?

Overview:

Street view.  There is almost non-stop traffic on this going about 40mph during rush hours.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hacking is a federal crime.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would find out who owns the land and ask them. Fuck it, better to ask forgiveness than ask permission
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would find out who owns the land and ask them. Fuck it, better to ask forgiveness than ask permission

It is drainage land. A creek runs through it with all the storm water from the neighborhoods and business parks.  It is probably county land.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on who owns the woods.  If its city/municipal property, you could be fined if caught.  If its some out of state developer who owns it, you might get away with it.  But there are generally laws against cutting trees, etc., on others property without permission.

If the woods are not thick you might be able to jsut snip snip and right thru.  But trespassing laws could be an issue so proceed with caution if you decide to live on the ragged edge of the law!
Some property owners don't want you on their land for liability reasons.

Maybe you should just find another time and place to ride.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depends on who owns the woods.  If its city/municipal property, you could be fined if caught.  If its some out of state developer who owns it, you might get away with it.  But there are generally laws against cutting trees, etc., on others property without permission.

If the woods are not thick you might be able to jsut snip snip and right thru.  But trespassing laws could be an issue so proceed with caution if you decide to live on the ragged edge of the law!
Some property owners don't want you on their land for liability reasons.

Maybe you should just find another time and place to ride.

I'm going to and from work. so that is not an option.

ETA well. of course I could just not ride to work. But. I should be able to ride to work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Just say a "rare" turtle wanted to go that route so you cut out a small path way for it so it could look for food...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck it. Go recon and then start cuting a path through.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask the owner.  Don't alter someone else's property without permission.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They'll shoot your dog.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You might find Hoffa in there!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#13]
It's probably not even remotely legal, but regardless it looks like a long way to make a quick hack 'n slash anyway, especially if there's any heavy growth.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Well. Fairfax co gov website actually has a number to call and suggest new sidewalks.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/utilities/walkways.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't use a machete, use some pruning shears and a sharp hatchet. clear a minimal path at each entrance point (discrete so no one notices) and then twenty feet in cut a wide path. Best to work early Sunday mornings as most are in church, getting ready for church, or sleeping in. If you are approached while clearing it out...say you are doing it for the owner of the land. If pressured or it is the owner asking the questions...fuck it and run. Take a vacation from work for the next week and proceed as normal if the second action occurs. Most will forget you after a week if not around.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You forgot option 3

Bike to Shadowland Lazer Adventure and have a fun filled day of lazer tag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
burn it..........
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I would walk through a few times and try to find a route through there that won't require any serious cutting. You might get lucky and find an existing path there that just doesn't go all the way through that you can extend just by using it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Yellow helmet.
Reflective vest.
Clipboard.
Broad daylight.

Only a property owner would even raise an eyebrow and I bet there aren't any around there.

Ideally, bring 3 friends.  Their job is to stand on the roadside with shovels and talk to each other and not pay any attention to the work or traffic.  That way it will look like an official government contract project.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#21]
How thick is it ? Can you get through without making a path ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would walk through a few times and try to find a route through there that won't require any serious cutting. You might get lucky and find an existing path there that just doesn't go all the way through that you can extend just by using it.

I have done that. Did it today in fact. There are some minor clearings where it looks like people have walked. But nothing that goes all the way through.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I submitted my proposal through the Fairfax county website. I'll see how long/if I get a response.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Some spots get pretty thick with short  thin trees.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Normally this would not be a big deal, but this happens to be the worst possible place to have no sidewalk.  It is extremely narrow. There is not even a shoulder. It also is a blind curve and it is also the bottom of a hill both ways. It is a fucking death trap!  I've seen people walking on this section almost get killed. Every time I ride it I pedal for dear life to get through it.

This is why bicyclists are generally disliked by motorists. They tend to suffer from a complete lack of sense.

Why do you ride your bike in an area where you become a danger to yourself and everyone around you?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why bicyclists are generally disliked by motorists. They tend to suffer from a complete lack of sense.

Why do you ride your bike in an area where you become a danger to yourself and everyone around you?

Read the thread maybe?  I ride the sidewalk the whole way.  There is no other sensible way around this one spot where there is no sidewalk.  I dislike many bicyclists too. I can't even count the number of times I see bicyclists act like they rule the road. Run red lights and ignore traffic laws.

The whole POINT of this thread is trying to figure out a way to NOT be in traffic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
As long as you weren't planning on making a path that you could ride through, just one that is wide enough to weave through the trees while pushing your bike, I doubt anyone would care.  Look closely...there may already be one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way around them even by walking it through ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Just rent a bobcat, have a few beers and plow through there one night.

j/k
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd say move out of NOVA, but you have the most awesomest parking for the Dulles gun show.

Can you make official "Arfcom member parking at your house next show?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#31]

i'd hack a path through it.  then rake a path through the leaves to expose the dirt

it's probably only underbrush and such

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just rent a bobcat, have a few beers and plow through there one night.

j/k

FTW
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pull em out by hand so you don't have and small spikes sticking up

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
In most places it is illegal to ride a bike on sidewalks.

Be respectful.  Ask the owner's permission before you start hacking though someone's land. How would you like it if someone cut a path for random people to walk through your property??
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#35]
According to the property map it is flagged as park land with a conservation easement throughout.

You're probably out of luck since anything would involve crossing a stream.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#36]
You have to ask? Here is a thought, how about not imposing your "exercise program" on other's property without permission. That said if you get land owner permission first then have at it. Still I don't understand why you would want to ride through a drainage "swamp" and show up to work stinking of decayed plant life. Northern Virginians......you got to love em.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd try this route (cut through Aimpoint's parking lot to Mariah CT).....barring that it's not too steep,the creek isn't too deep or there are unseen fences.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Drive a car like a real Man, Nancy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top