Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 12:12:40 PM EDT
How much do you know about federal firearm laws?

See the link: Brownells Cartrige conversion cylinder

As far as I know, cap n' ball revolvers are NOT legally described as "firearms". So how is it legal to modify one of thes antique/replicas to fire cartridge ammunition, wouldn't this make it a legally described "firearm"?

I just came across it in Brownells and I got curious to know how this is done. Seems to me the Feds might have accidently let this one slip by some how.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
linky no workie
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, its perfectly legal to convert black powder to fire fixed ammunition.  Just like 80% recievers: the ATF says its your responsibility to make sure you're legally allowed to possess it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The Cap and ball revolver is not legally considered a firearm.

The conversion cylinder in also not legally considered a firearm.

Marry the two parts together, and it's still not legally considered a firearm, even though it is now a handgun firing modern ammunition.

No one said firearms laws make any sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nope, its perfectly legal to convert black powder to fire fixed ammunition.  Just like 80% recievers: the ATF says its your responsibility to make sure you're legally allowed to possess it.

Kharn

So a 80% reciever is not classified as a Firearm and it requires no FFL dealer?

And a 80% reciever is what just a lower that isn't totally machined?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

So a 80% reciever is not classified as a Firearm and it requires no FFL dealer? Correct

And a 80% reciever is what just a lower that isn't totally machined?80% of it is done, you have to finish it, once you finish it , legally you can never sell it, and YOU have to work on it, nobody else can touch it

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My buddy ordered a remington black powder pistol AND the conversion cylinder and had it shipped in the same box to his door.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As far as I know, cap n' ball revolvers are NOT legally described as "firearms". So how is it legal to modify one of thes antique/replicas to fire cartridge ammunition, wouldn't this make it a legally described "firearm"?

I just came across it in Brownells and I got curious to know how this is done. Seems to me the Feds might have accidently let this one slip by some how.

As long as it's legal for YOU to own a firearm, in your state, town, etc.  Then it's legal for you to perform the conversion, as long as it's for YOU

You can never sell it, or make one for another person.... only for your own use, and must of course not be a machine gun (conform to NFA rules)

Same can be done with a small blackpowder derringer, some places sell them, and you get a barrel sleeve, and a 'firing pin' adapter .  When installed, it'll shoot .22LR ammo, and is legal....

Again, ONLY for your use.....

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

So a 80% reciever is not classified as a Firearm and it requires no FFL dealer? Correct

And a 80% reciever is what just a lower that isn't totally machined?80% of it is done, you have to finish it, once you finish it , legally you can never sell it, and YOU have to work on it, nobody else can touch it

Oh, but they are legal to sell! You just can't build one with the intention of selling it.
Like PAEBR332 said; "No one said firearms laws make any sense."
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as it's legal for YOU to own a firearm, in your state, town, etc.  Then it's legal for you to perform the conversion, as long as it's for YOU

You can never sell it, or make one for another person.... only for your own use, and must of course not be a machine gun (conform to NFA rules)

Same can be done with a small blackpowder derringer, some places sell them, and you get a barrel sleeve, and a 'firing pin' adapter .  When installed, it'll shoot .22LR ammo, and is legal....

Again, ONLY for your use.....

For that matter, you can also build an entire firearm from scratch. Again, as long as it's for you, you can legally own one to begin with, it's not for sale, and it's not mass produced.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Its legal since its not illegal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top