Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 11:51:27 PM EDT
I gave myself a papercut between my index and middle finger when I was handling a roll of toilet paper earlier (the cardboard roll is what gave me the cut, oddly enough) and have been biting on it, chewing on it, squeezing it, anything to smolder the irritating itch of this injury.  I then looked at a scab that I was never aware of having prior to now, and the thought came to me that it is strange that we are somehow separate and distinct from the experiences and lives of the cells that make up our bodies.

I don't really have a question, or anything important to say.  I just wanted to share this thought and see what comes of it.  It puzzles me that we can not experience ourselves from the perspective of our constituent parts.  Or.. can we?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:03:25 AM EDT
Is the answer "pie"?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:08:45 AM EDT
I think its time to put the bong down.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:13:35 AM EDT
I read an interesting theory not too long ago... the gist is, our human consciousness is basically just a parasitical growth on our physical body.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:16:25 AM EDT
Don't bogart it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 12:26:59 AM EDT by 2mps]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Don't bogart it.

Hmmm the answer to that depends on whether forgetting your wallet is a rare occasion, or you're a regular moocher.

ETA:

"Oh yeah, my parents found it and gave it to my sister" is not an acceptable excuse.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:29:38 AM EDT
[Rick James] Cocaine is a hell of a drug! [/Rick James]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:33:42 AM EDT
I think you need to quit sniffing colloidal silver.

I do like thinking about stuff like this though. It makes me think if our conciseness could be 'detached' from our physical bodies.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:48:04 AM EDT
I could have a well thought out response to this if it wasn't almost 4am and I wasn't a few beers into a late night and knowing I have to wake up tomorrow morning, but here is the gist of it;

Your body is nothing but a complicated machine, your brain included. Everything that goes on with your body is detected through "sensors" and conveyed through "wires" to your "control unit". Your consciousness is nothing but a series of electro-chemical discharges happening in a specific order. If the "sensors" don't do their job, or the "wires" don't do their job, or your "control unit" is busy doing another job, you won't be made aware of something small.

To phrase it another way, you will still be you if you lost your entire body as long as your nerve cells continued to fire in a given sequence, or that sequence was transferred to another media, like say a microprocessor. You would still assert that you were you and because of that fact be worthy of human rights as an individual. Your body would just be a lump of bio-mass, even though it could technically still be sustained and cells could continue to carry on life processes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:50:13 AM EDT
You could probably have fun with Descartes and his "Meditation VI"

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:52:31 AM EDT
Posting in a DIXI thread.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:54:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

Or any of the Rationalists, Empiricists, or 18th Century Philosophers for that matter (Kant, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Berkeley, etc)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:01:27 AM EDT
Most people's central nervous systems have too much incoming information to process efficiently so a small sensation or a prolonged on will get filtered out so new and pertinent info can be integrated.

Or, your brain doesn't give a shit about the space between your index finger and your middle finger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:01:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Amontgomery:

Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

Or any of the Rationalists, Empiricists, or 18th Century Philosophers for that matter (Kant, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Berkeley, etc)

+1

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:28:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:59:35 AM EDT
Isn't the itching and such a communication from your cells? After all you are aware of the happenings of a specific group of cells that you normally would not think about.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:10:05 AM EDT
Same way politicians are unaware of the people under them. They don't see any benefit to knowing what's going on with the little people, just like there's no benefit for you being aware of meitosis.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:42:17 AM EDT
You might enjoy The Genius Within.

Jane
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:32:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Amontgomery:

I could have a well thought out response to this if it wasn't almost 4am and I wasn't a few beers into a late night and knowing I have to wake up tomorrow morning, but here is the gist of it;

Your body is nothing but a complicated machine, your brain included. Everything that goes on with your body is detected through "sensors" and conveyed through "wires" to your "control unit". Your consciousness is nothing but a series of electro-chemical discharges happening in a specific order. If the "sensors" don't do their job, or the "wires" don't do their job, or your "control unit" is busy doing another job, you won't be made aware of something small.

To phrase it another way, you will still be you if you lost your entire body as long as your nerve cells continued to fire in a given sequence, or that sequence was transferred to another media, like say a microprocessor. You would still assert that you were you and because of that fact be worthy of human rights as an individual. Your body would just be a lump of bio-mass, even though it could technically still be sustained and cells could continue to carry on life processes.

"Spock's Brain!"

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:00:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SenorTreinteOcho:

I think you need to quit sniffing colloidal silver.

I do like thinking about stuff like this though. It makes me think if our conciseness could be 'detached' from our physical bodies.

The word/phrase you're looking for is "emergence" or "emergent phenomena."

Top Top