Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2008 8:37:42 PM EDT
I'm heading to the airport in a few hours. I just bought a new camera and video camera. I'm going to carry them on. I'm also taking my laptop.

Do these things go through and that's it or will they pull them out and go over them with a fine tooth comb? I don't like people manhandling my stuff.

I'm thinking of putting the laptop in my luggage. Will that cause a problem?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They will make you take it out of the bag, and put in in another bin seperatly. I have had this done 5 times. They never powered it on, but I have heard of them makeing people turn it on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Why is it that guys wait until "a few hours" before something is going to happen, that they have know for some time is going to happen, and may have some negative or may not have negative consequences to ask about it.

It's probably too late, but did you ever think to take a look at the TSA web pages, they have a shit load of advice on how to make flying or at least going through the security checks easier and quicker.

And I've seen them have folks turn things on.  I know the time I took a large model railroad engine  through in carry on it caused some real interesting reactions, looking at it in the x-ray, and then all went wow look at that, that is pretty neat.  but I'm sure the x-ray was pretty concerning to them also.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
For laptops you have to take it out and put it in a seperate bin like was already stated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a back pack with a lap top in it. I didnt know they wanted the laptop in a seperate bin.  Since 9/11 (when all the rules changed) I hardly fly anymore.  I choose not to use commercial airlines.  I'd rather drive and spend my own money on fuel than deal with TSA.  

Anyways, back to the incident.  I put my bag in the xray and the TSA lady freaks out!  Yelling "whos back is this whos bag is this!!!!"  

I answered " Its mine"

TSA Lady " There is a laptop in here!"

I said   " I know, I put it there."

she about had a temper tantrum.  She created a scene, her supervisor got involved, and I got on the plane barely in time.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking of putting the laptop in my luggage. Will that cause a problem?

If you mean checked luggage my laptop actually came with a warning to not do that as the baggage handling damages them

+1  Have you ever seen how they toss the bags while they load the plane?  

Don't put anything in checked luggage that can't take a beating.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a laptop with you when you flu you would be crazy to check it.  As far as the proedure on check in just be preparedto take it out and put it in a bin as has already been stated.  As far as a camera goes it all depends on what kind of gear you have. If yo uhave just a simple P+S camera I wouldn't worry about it but I usually travel with bare minimum one DSLR and usually more than that and I am almost always the subjec of scrutiny.  The last time I flew with my Pelican case with all of my medium format gear yuo would have thought I was carrying a bomb it was searched from top to bottom it's just a good thing I wasn't late.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Since 9/11 (when all the rules changed) I hardly fly anymore.  I choose not to use commercial airlines. I'd rather drive and spend my own money on fuel than deal with TSA.  

I love that new bridge they built to Hawaii

Seriously, we both fly fairly frequently and have never had problems with TSA.  We know the rules ahead of time and allow plenty of time to get through security.

Have traveled with laptops, video cameras, and scuba gear.  Just smile, be patient, acknowledging they are just trying to do their job and you will be on your merry way in no time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Airport security is a joke. It's just a pretense of diligence.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I travel monthly.

computers and projectors need to be taken out of their bags and put in their own bin (by themselves)

you must take your shoes off.

you must take your jacket off.

go through the motions, put all your shit on the conveyor and in the bins.

remember to remove your keys, phone and belt (if you have a large buckle)

Keep your ticket/boarding pass and wallet with you at all times

Watch all your stuff go into the xray machine BEFORE you go through the metal detector.

IF for any reason they want to hand screen anything, collect ALL your crap before leaving the output of the xray machine (they will wait for you)

laptop tip:  tape your business card to the top or bottom of your laptop to make it readily identifiable as yours.  a BFL sticker would be nice

eta:
1. go to the tsa website and readup. know in advance what is/is not permitted.  Print a copy of those rules.  You're expected to know them, at the same time, the TSA should damn well know them.   Stand your ground to those rules and ask for a stupidvisor if the "agent" is giving you a hard time and you know better.

2. walk through the CENTER of the metal detector. too close to either side if you have a watch on, could cause it to go off.  Generically speaking, detection of a large mass of metal is what sets them off. (I used to service all the equipment you see in the check point (and some you do not see.) follow my advice and you'll do just fine.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure it's not a $49,000 digital video camera.          

Seriously though, if its expensive, carry it on with you.  Too big to carry on?  FedEx/UPS/USPS/etc to yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top