Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 8:11:49 PM EDT
How many rounds can one pump through a HBAR BM Shorty without hurting it? Is 60 rds in 2 minutes, every 5 minutes, too much? When I do that, it really gets hot, far too hot to touch the barrel or gas block. I can't put it back into it's case for 30 minutes, lest I melt the foam in it.

BYW, It seems that I can rip on my Oly 9mm AR as fast and long as I want and it never gets too hot. Sometimes I go through 4 or 5 32 round mags one right after the other, then load them up again for a few minutes, and start over. I assume this isn't hurting the gun right? It works perfectly everytime.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
We went through several hundred rounds of 9mm through a Colt upper and then several hundred rounds more of .223 on a Bushmaster upper in full auto one night and never had any problems.  These guns aren't fragile.  You just have to keep them clean.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
When I asked this question on the old board I was told something like too hot is when the barrell starts to bend and you shoot a bullet through the side of the barrell.  I reckon you would have a gas tube failure before that happens.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found that it will cool quicker if you stand it upright with the bolt open.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Trust me, you will know when the barrel is too hot. But by then, it will be too late.

Eric The(DasIstSchade)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
when the barrel glow gets to be too much, just swap in another upper.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BYW, It seems that I can rip on my Oly 9mm AR as fast and long as I want and it never gets too hot. Sometimes I go through 4 or 5 32 round mags one right after the other, then load them up again for a few minutes, and start over.
View Quote

I am no expert but probably the main reason the 9mm doesn't heat up like the .223Rem is because the .223 load has alot more powder and velocity in the case then the 9mm does.  And of course this traslates into heating the barrel.

I have easily dumped multiply 30rnd mags as fast as I could thru my AR and never got it anywhere near hot enough to damage it.  My MAK90 easily gets hotter than the AR and it too has never been hot enough to get damaged...and I got the MAK's barrel almost glowing!!

So in short....don't worry about it[:D]

Sgtar15
[img]http://www.tartarus.net/images/water/frog2.gif[/img]

Sgtar15
[img]http://www.tartarus.net/images/water/frog2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Boom Stick:
In basic training we fired those old A1's on full auto.  I dumped two 30rd mags in controlled bursts.  It was a night fire excercise, so that gas tube glowed like a red chem-light under those handgards.  

I dont think it hurt that A1 a bit.
View Quote

i can relate to that...I remember doing the same thing.  We had a really cool drill and range officer for our auto night fire.  They let us burn up alot of ammo after the required course was done.  I don't think the old A1 I had could have been hurt...anymore than it was.  

medcop
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an old 14.5-inch upper that I emptied a 100-rd Beta through in one LONG burst.  The Flash supressor and barrel were glowing RED.  Now, I don't do that with my good uppers but this works out to be 100-rounds in 20 seconds or less!
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
when the front sight shifts two inches to the right it is to hot
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe you will find anything and everything you could possibly want to know about rates of fire here:

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/mcrp3-1a/3-01-1/intro.htm[/url]

It's my understanding that alot of info here at Biggerhammer were contributed by folks.

Mike

PS I have not read the entire referenced link, but this is just one of the manuals available, check them out till you get you answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top