Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 1:35:05 PM EDT
I was thinking of leaving a spare can of FOX in my car, but it says not to store where temperatures can exceed 120 F.  How hot can it get inside my car?  Approximately what temp does the outside air temperature need to be in order for it to reach about 120F inside my car?  Would leaving the windows cracked at the top pretty much keep the temps below 120F?

For reference, I have a newer 4 door midsize, WHITE, with tinted windows.

I'm pretty sure it will exceed 87 degrees F.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
As HELL, I tell ya.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
About 140.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
About 140-160.  Maybe even 187 degrees.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I clocked 184f. once
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have seen 165 degrees on a temp recorder strip we use to measure cabin temperature for electronics that we build.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember the local news doing a piece here last summer and they said it could get to 160 inside w/ windows up
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
One summer day I  left one of those clear plastic disposable lighters on the front seat of a pickup while I watched a movie at Quail Springs.  When I came back to the truck all that was left of the lighter was tiny shards of red plastic and the metal portion.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
In my car, which is white, with dark tinted windows, and a reflective sunscreen, at 100 degrees ambient in bright sunlight, the interior will get to or above 130 degrees.  In a darker car without tint and sunshade, it was over 140 degrees once.  

it does get farking HOT inside a car when it's hot outside.   Window tinting and a sunshade in the front window DOES really help a LOT.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One summer day I  left one of those clear plastic disposable lighters on the front seat of a pickup while I watched a movie at Quail Springs.  When I came back to the truck all that was left was tiny shards of red plastic and the metal portion.  

Your entire truck was gone??

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One summer day I  left one of those clear plastic disposable lighters on the front seat of a pickup while I watched a movie at Quail Springs.  When I came back to the truck all that was left of the lighter was tiny shards of red plastic and the metal portion.  

Your entire truck was gone??

Edited for clarification!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One summer day I  left one of those clear plastic disposable lighters on the front seat of a pickup while I watched a movie at Quail Springs.  When I came back to the truck all that was left was tiny shards of red plastic and the metal portion.  

Ever stop by the OK HTF?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The easiest way to find out is go work at a car lot in the summer.  When they get all the salespeople moving the cars around they look like they ran 100 miles sweating like pigs.   Idont miss that shit at all.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever stop by the OK HTF?

I guess not.  I'm not sure what that is.  

ETA:  OK home-town forum?  Yeah, I read it a bit but it's been kinda violent lately.  

I found out today that 1-Shott and I share the same birthday (except he's older)        
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So should I do a "Box o' Truth" on this?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
It sounds crazy, but at Ft. Polk it got so hot inside a station wagon one afternoon, that the back window exploded outward.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have seen it so hot in TX. in sides of P/U's that have melted cd's.
To Fricken Hot Some where on the scale of 170-200 F. in the south west.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
the color of your car and tint on the windows can do a lot for that.

a black car gets a lot hotter than a white car, and clear windows get hotter than tint.

no shit story about vehicles and electonics:

a recent AF order directed that all T-1 jets be painted dark gray from their usual white.  at Randolph AFB in San Antonio (and probably elsewhere) this caused a problem.  it was getting so hot in parked jets that it was cooking some of the electronic gear.  they had to erect shelters over the jets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top