Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:15:44 AM EDT
When I turned 21 in 1998, my carry gun of a choice was a stainless Smith and Wesson Model 66 3" barrel with round butt grips. For reloads, I think I carried 12 extra rounds in a nylon glove case. I didn't even have speedloaders starting out. I felt well armed at the time.

About 2 years later, I moved up to a semi-auto. It was a Ruger P89 9mm. I carried that about a year before I got the itch to get something a bit more refined. So I then bought a Sig P229 .40 Cal. I loved that gun and still own it. But after about a year of carrying it, I decided I wanted something a little lighter and with a more durable finish (the Sig would rust to look at it).

That led me to a Glock 17 9mm in late 2001 or early 2002. That's where I have been ever since. Now when I leave the house, the Glock is always with me, along with two spare mags. I keep it loaded with either Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ or Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P...both outstanding ammo, depending on what I have on hand at the time.

So, it took me going through 3-4 guns before I found the one that I most preferred as a carry gun and that fit my style and demands.

But 9/11 also changed another aspect of my carry habits. From 1998 (when I first started carrying) up through 2001, I never considered having a long gun handy when I went out. I just didn't feel the need. But the awakening of 9/11 and events around the world since then changed that. I now also always keep some type of rifle and spare ammo in the trunk...just in case. The way things are these days, you just never know when you might be out and about and get caught up in the middle of something. So it makes me feel better to have the tools to deal with such a situation present.

So, how have your personal carry habits changed over the years? What motivated the changes? And how long did it take you to find a match between you and a gun that was lasting?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Started with a Taurus 605 .357 mag
Went to a Beretta 9000s 40S&W
Bought a Kel-Tech P32 as a warm weather gun
Bought a Kimber Ultra Carry to and put the Beretta in the truck as a truck gun.  

So now its a the Kel-Tec and the Kimber as my carry guns based on my clothing.

Taurus and Beretta are fine guns, but, trigger pull on the beretta is stiff, and I would rather have 10 rounds of 40 or 7 rounds of 45 over 5 rounds of .357 from a 2.25" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The first hand gun I carried back in the day was a Model 29 S&W it was a cannon but real  popular
backthen .dirty harry had some thing to do with that. As I got older . I went a with a colt 1911. Now I like the light weight polymer guns .I carry glock or a HK mostly.Growing up where I did I always had a rifle in the truck it just seemed natural in the country,Always target shooting in the hay and corn fields or going hunting. Still do to this day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
yes

I used to carry all of the time.

don't anymore
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Lately I carry only when I really want to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Started with a .44SPL Charter Arms "Bulldog" - about 5 years...

Then a .45ACP Star PD - also about 5 years...

Finally, a 9mm Glock 19 - 10+ years now and very happy with it.

I've also carried a small pocket-gun (or occasionally, early on, an ankle-gun ) as back-up to the primary or as a "better-than-no-gun" alternative for those times when the primary was impractical or impossible.  That, too, has evolved over the years from a .25 Beretta 950 "Jetfire" to a .25 Beretta 21 "Bobcat" to a .32 Beretta 3032 "Tomcat" to a .32 Kel-Tec P-32 to, eventually, a .380 Kel-Tec P3AT with which I am very happy.

ETA:  I just realized the initial post went beyond personal carry. FTR, there is always a handgun, shotgun, and rifle in each vehicle (unless travelling where illegal, of course).  As with Charging_Handle, the addition of the permanent, vehicle-dedicated long guns was a post-9/11 thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine carry habits are the same as they have always been.  I only carry a cell phone, and practice begging for my life everyday.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I have only been carrying for a few months, but like you I made a switch from a Sig P229 in .40 to a Glock in 9mm. I carry a G19 though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I care less about printing and whether people notice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]

How have your carry habits changed over the years?

The simple answer, I started to carry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Switched from a Glock 23 to a Walther P99 when my grip changed and I found that I could just shoot better with the Walther.  About 6 months after I got my CFP I started to always carry a flashlight with the gun (Surefire E2 Executive).  Later, after shooting some combat pistol meets and getting some training I decided to carry spare mags if going out at night or on weekends.  Lately I never go out at night without it, but I do carry a little less frequently to the office.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I spent the 1990's carrying a G17 & a G19, along with 2 spare mags for both in a briefcase that was notched with foam to hold it all. OK, I admit I was a little paranoid. I went through a police roadblock with it, and they thought it was cool.

I just carry the G19 and one spare mag for it nowwdays.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#12]
started with a commander .45, light weight. moved on to a detonics which I still carry on occasions,
when i got my CCW in Texas I did carry a browning HP as I traveled daily through indian territory while working in sales in the Dallas area mainly because the extra rounds available in the same weight and space.
now living in the PRK, dont carry at all..hell they will haul your car in if your inspection is expired. figure caught carrying will be life in prison and forget CCW in SD county from what i am told.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am still woking on that. It is getting tiring drawing down every time someone asks what is under my shirt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
First carry gun was a Ruger P91

Right before the boating accident I was carrying a NAA .22 mag everywhere and a Glock 26 when out after sunset or in bad places.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Started carring when the chl was first available. Gun of choice was a 1911 in a milt sparks holster.
But the texas heat would get to me and I would use a fanny pack.

Today I still use the fanny pack, but I now carry sig's or hk's in 45 and 357sig depending on how I feel(sorta like the golfers with golf clubs, can never have to many).

Biggest change was going to DA/SA guns. If I have to shot I want it to be a conscience desission.
Liabilty wise the lawers can say it was an 'accidental discharge' if the gun is a single action.

As far as the fanny pack is concerned, it cuts down on the worry of accidently showing the gun. Just about everyone in austin wears a fanny pac, so it does not stand out.

One fanny pack I have looks like a cell phone/pda carrier. I even had a cell phone sales lady ask 'What brand of phone do you carry?' my answer "SIG". She then asked 'do you get good reception?' I said no but it sends good signals
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
For a time, I was wearing a belly band carrying both a Glock 23 and a Taurus .38 revolver.

I've carried just about every handgun I own at one point or another.  Now it is pretty much exclusively my Glock 19.  I may carry my Kel-tec .380 as an ankle back up if I can find a good ankle holster for it.

ETA:  I also carry a Surefire E1E with me everywhere I go now, and sometimes have an AR with 6 mags in my truck.  I worry about leaving the rifle in the vehicle though, so often I take it out over the weekend.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The biggest thing I have changed is the weight of my carry piece.

I'm a big guy, so initially I'm thinking weight? Who cares. I used a full size 1911. I won't notice a couple of extra pounds..right? Well...by the end of a long day, I do...expecially with an IWB holster.

Most used carry gun now for me is a lightweight polymer Kahr PM9

Ed
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Went from double stack to single stack.

But have always carried .45acp, of course.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Glock 19.  Five years and counting.

I did try a Glock 23 for a little while, but I shoot the 9mm better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I started carrying a beretta 92, cause that gun was the shiznit in lethal weapon Then I switched to a glock 23 which I still carry to this day. Although I find myself carrying less and less lately. Not that I forget to carry or anything like that. But it seems lately I go from the house to work and back, and not much of anywhere else. I can't carry at work, but it is always in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Less paranoid about printing too.

(Goldilocks voice)
Tried a Glock 17, didn't like the trigger.
Tried a Sig 229, too heavy, hammer would gouge too.
Tried a 9mm Kel-Tec, hated the trigger.
Tried a 1911, never found a good holster for me.

Currently carry a H&K Compact .45, love everything but the capacity. I am looking at a 9mm H&K Compact right now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Went from carrying little .38s and 9mm to fullsize service pistols. I carry 2 spare mags now, too. I also really dont fucking care about printing, like I used to be. Everyone now-adays has something hanging off of thier belts, etc. Right now I am carrying a Glock 35 with Ranger-Ts in it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I moved toward smaller weapons over the years.  Started with a Beretta 92, Glock 22, Glock 23, then the Sig 229, Ruger SP 101, Sig 239, and now the Kahr PM9.

These damn things get heavy, plus my right leg was going numb from belt tension.  Try not to print but don't care if I do, and I open carry a lot.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1!  I ditched all those IWB holsters and started using an OWB Kydex holster from Talon Tactical.  

Just started carrying the Glock 36 everywhere with on of his IWB holsters.  Going to order an OWB from him this week.  His stuff is just top notch.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to try very hard to maintain my habits of dressing, and adjusted my carrying around that, but starting about 5-7 years ago (it didn't happen all at once,) I started adjusting my dressing habits to fit around carrying a full-size handgun.  Now I look more like a slob, but am better armed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Started with a Bayard .380 on the belt. Love that gun, but it's almost 100 years old and after I had to make a new firing pin and wind a couple of homemade springs for it I put it in the safe. Moved to an AMT .380 Backup in the pocket. Now I'm carrying a P-11 on a belt clip most of the time with the AMT reserved for those times that the shirt needs to be tucked in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been carrying a S&W 642 for about six months now.  I can't even tell it's there most of the time.  Concealment is a must for me, so it fits the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I started with a glock 23 just tucked in the waistband.(before ccw and only around the house.)
Then I switched to a Taurus pt140? full size. to bulky.
After ccw I went with a XD 40 or a 1911. Both too large and heavy I thought.
Then to a Kel-tec P3AT. Too small.
Finally I settled on a Khar P40.  Comfortable
Now my problem is I always feel out gunned with only 6+1 and a spare mag.

I also went from carrying a Mag light to a Surefire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top