Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:55:59 PM EDT
How is your life currently as compared to what you thought it would be like at this stage of your life when growing up?   Did you think you would grow up to be a millionaire (back when million$ meant something) by the time you were 40 or a pro athlete after college?  Did you think you would be married or have certain number of kids?  What kind of spouse did you expect, if any?  Where in the country did you expect to live?  How is your occupation as compared to what you thought it would be like?

My father asked me this question this past weekend while having lunch and I just answered that I have/had some disappointments but that overall it turned out as good or better than expected.  Since then I been thinking a lot about it and come to realize that currently my life is much better than what I had expected when growing up.

My disappointments in life are:

1. Could not enter military service due to medical condition
2. My health is worst than I expected at this age
3. Did not have a vacation home (log cabin) in the mountains of Montana or Colorado
4. Do not have a PhD degree
5. Go fly fishing for sailfish in Central America
6. Did not go spend a year in Alaska
7. Have not see the Mount Everest
8. Sleep with 30+ women by the time I turned 30 (AIDs in the 80’s killed that idea)

This is all that I could think of that I did not do or accomplish.

On the other hand, there are a lot of thing in my life currently that surpassed my expectations like:

1. Got married before I was 30 and stayed married for so many years
2. Have a wonderful/great wife
3. Have a wonderful healthy child
4. Have some very close friends that are more like family
5. Have a great house on the lake where I can fish any time I want
6. Have more guns than I expected      
7. Have great relationship with my parents and siblings (and in-laws too)
8. Make more money than I expected to at this stage of my life
9. Got to travel and see around the world a lot more than expected

I have been very blessed and these “achievements” greatly surpass any “disappointments” I have in my life and obviously at this point I’m very happy and satisfied with my life… more than I expected when growing up.

I hope you are as satisfied with your life as I am with mine.

ETA. at the end of our little conversation my old man told me he is very proud of the man I've become... first time I've heard that from him (my mom told me that couple times in my life).

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My life is great- family and friends. Great job, etc.
And it has not turned out anything like I thought it would, except I still love to hunt and fish, etc.
Hell, I am a 47 year old 3rd baseman on our softball team. And we actually win more leagues and tournements than we lose.
It has been a fun ride. I can't wait to see what's next!
Jim
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
So far i am staying right on path.  But ofcourse i am only 19.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]

How has your life turned out?

Perfect.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]

How has your life turned out?

Reasonably OK.

Some victories, some regrets.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I ain't dead yet!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My kids are healthy and well taken cared for. Couldnt ask for much more.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing like I expected. Mainly for the better. If it had turned out like I had expected that would have been fine too.

I am ready to make the BIG bucks though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

But is that all you expected to do/achive as a grown up when you were a kid?
Didn't you expect more from life?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty good.
I have accomplished almost everything I have set out to do and honestly set a plan for myself when I was a Junior in HS. Followed through on it and accomplished it all except my one regret: turning down an appointment to Annapolis. Still don't know what possessed me to say no. I will never understand it.

But I have had a great family, professionally took a step wise approach as intended and did all the rest.

The only question is what is the next chapter. I am only 47 and have done most of what I planned.
Oh, and I slept with 30 women by the time I was 20.

Yeah, I am pretty damn happy. Not been an easy road though.

Life's an adventure. Live it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But is that all you expected to do/achive as a grown up when you were a kid?
Didn't you expect more from life?

No when i was a kid i wanted to study dinasaur bones .
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
... I'm of the belief that no one should ever doubt where they're at during any period of their life. Why? Because life is way too fucking short to dwell or fret over it. I subscribe to the "I felt sorry for myself for not having shoes, until I saw a man that didn't have any feet" prospect.

... Could I have done better for myself? Sure, if I'd had applied myself more - but evidently somewhere in my cerebellum it just wasn't worth it I suppose. And yes, there are conditions I simply have no control over - So I just don't waste precious time getting into a funk over it.

... Every day I wake breathing is a day I have a chance to make life better more rewarding for myself and those it touches. I thank my Creator every day for giving me the opportunity to live my short life - not going to curse Him for my troubles. On the contrary, I thank Him for helping me identify the obstacles and making my way around them.

... I know it's cliché-like, but "It's the journey, not the destiny" that has fueled my passion for life. I literally go to sleep at night excited about what unknown path/challenge that lies ahead of me each day - I'm dead serious.

... As hokey and simple as it sounds, it's worked better than any external or internal stimuli I've ever experienced. Then again, I could just be a happy idiot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, but AIDs didn't make their appearance to the public until you were about 25.
I started hearing about it while I was still a young teenager... too young to really get started on my conquest.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but AIDs didn't make their appearance to the public until you were about 25.
I started hearing about it while I was still a young teenager... too young to really get started on my conquest.

Hey man, it ain't a comnpetition.

Well, at least I don't think it is....

In any event, I met my wife shortly after that and events occurred in my life that led me to make some lifestyle changes and settle down.  Life in the fast lane is great until you blow a tire.

You are correct though, if AIDS had been around at that point I'd have been in deep deep doodoo. As it was I turned down wayyy more than I got.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]

My disappointments in life are: Sleep with 30+ women by the time I turned 30

Um.... you say that like its a bad thing!

CHEAP TRICK

(cover by) BIG BLACK

HE'S A WHORE

Have you seen her face
She's got a face that would stop a clock
And with that face I surely won't stop
To look her in the eyes
But her money's green
Like tea and so's her teeth
But she's still so close to my reach
If I call, if I call at all
Any time at all
Any time at all
Any time at all
Any time at all
So the story goes
I think I'll take her for a ride
With this moneybag by my side
A giggolo is the only way to go
And So I show my face
And I can even fake a smile
But I'm laughing inside all the while
This little girl
She's a joke
She's a joke
She's a joke
Any time at all
Any time at all
Any time at all
Any time at all

He's a whore, (I'd do anything for money)
He's a whore, (Look at the things that I write)
He's a whore, (Ooo, The stories I can tell)
HE'S A WHORE (IN THE MORNING, IN THE NIGHT)
I'M A WHORE (HE'LL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY)
I'M A WHORE (LOOK AT THE CLOTHES THAT HE WEARS)
I'M A WHORE (HE'LL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY
I'M A WHORE
AND SO THE STORY GOES
I THINK I'LL TAKE HER FOR A RIDE
WITH THIS MONEYBAG BY MY SIDE
A GIGGOLO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO
OOOOOHHHH
WO WO-WO
OOOO WOO
OOOO OO OO OO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. "I can't complain (but sometimes I still do)", as it were.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I was never enough of a forward thinker to ever expect my life to turn out a certain way. I don't know if it's because I learned that it's too difficult to plan ahead because things always get FUBAR the harder you try to stick to that plan or what...

I'm happy with how my life is going.
I have a great wife.
A great kid... most of the time.
A great dog.
A house.
Two cars paid for.
Guns I like.
Food on the shelves.
Computers with interweb access.
What's to complain about?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Overall, No complaints.  Sometimes, I'm amazed at how well it's worked out so far.

When I was in my teens and 20's there was a fair chance I wouldn't make it this far.  I casually accepted the risk.  Now, like any other old bastard, I want to live for ever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In any event, I met my wife shortly after that and events occurred in my life that led me to make some lifestyle changes and settle down.  Life in the fast lane is great until you blow a tire.

You are correct though, if AIDS had been around at that point I'd have been in deep deep doodoo. As it was I turned down wayyy more than I got.

I guess I should have added one of those smily face to my message to convey my humor about it.
You'r right, it ain't a competition but as a young teen its one of those kid things in life.  Its a childhood goal that I didn't reach as an adult and I have no regrets about it now but I won't lie about it... it was a goal when young... along with getting into Lisa B's pants (when I was 15)      

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Eh, it's so-so.  I guess by most standards I'm doing well, but I'm not really where I want to be.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My life is in no way, shape or form how I wished it to be but I can't really complain, I ain't dead.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Eh, it's so-so.  I guess by most standards I'm doing well, but I'm not really where I want to be.

I agree - I fully expected to be POTUS by the time I hit 40.....  Of course, the high side is - I don't need to be a victim of HATE mongering Whores!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
How has my life turned out?

Better than I deserved.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't complain. I'm only in my mid 20s so I still am not done yet. I hated college so I went to work. Just got a $3/hr raise, now I'm making almost $20/hr. Got a house, full benefits and retirement, new truck(well it was bought it last Feb), more guns than I thought I'd ever have and an excellent wife.

I'm still debating college or the police academy though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I should have added one of those smily face to my message to convey my humor about it.
You'r right, it ain't a competition but as a young teen its one of those kid things in life.  Its a childhood goal that I didn't reach as an adult and I have no regrets about it now but I won't lie about it... it was a goal when young... along with getting into Lisa B's pants (when I was 15)      

Ya know, life is funny.  I had, likemost guys, wanted to do more than one chick at the same time(sorta same).  Within 2 weeks after I moved in with my wife I had 3 such opportunities. One pair dropped me off at home and wanted to meet my wife also! Temptation!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I can't complain. I'm only in my mid 20s so I still am not done yet. I hated college so I went to work. Just got a $3/hr raise, now I'm making almost $20/hr. Got a house, full benefits and retirement, new truck(well it was bought it last Feb), more guns than I thought I'd ever have and an excellent wife.

College! If you like money, that is. If you don't need money the cop shop can be fun. It can also be disgusting, boring, cold, hot, etc.

New truck? I drive an '82 Silverado, but I don't have a payment either.

Life is a journey, do the best you can and the details usually work themselves out.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Who used to have the sigline ... "hell is when the man you've become meets the man you could have been" or something like that.

Oh well ... no time like now to make things better.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How is your life currently as compared to what you thought it would be like at this stage of your life when growing up?  .

Well, considering that I NEVER expected to live  past 30!....and I turn 46 next week!

....I'm still above ground....alot better than most, I guess...got 6 kids, 1 granddaugher, and 3 wives...who could ask for more?!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

College! If you like money, that is. If you don't need money the cop shop can be fun. It can also be disgusting, boring, cold, hot, etc.

New truck? I drive an '82 Silverado, but I don't have a payment either.

Life is a journey, do the best you can and the details usually work themselves out.

Jim

Well the money isn't bad as an officer at the dept where I work now as a dispatcher. $38k your rookie year and you jump to $41k after your probation is done(1 year). Plus extra jobs($25/hr and usually cash at end of night) and they are contract so there is a guaranteed raise every year, well usually anyway.

I already put up with a lot of the bullshit they do now, just I don't always see them in person. Unless they come to the station then we(mostly I since I am one of two males that work midnights in dispatch) get to deal with them until officer gets there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
...got 6 kids, 1 granddaugher, and 3 wives...who could ask for more?!

I thought that was only in Utah
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm only 19, but it's going pretty well so far. . .

I don't have any major medical problems. I have good parents. I own own some nice guns. I live in a fairly nice house. I have developed a conservative worldview early and know full well the importance of personal responsibility (and that's gonna save me a lot of trouble). I have a few real friends, but those few are like brothers. I have noble interests as far as vocations go. Last but not least, by the grace of God, I have accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour and am saved.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I was going to be a Wildlife Biologist, but I did horribly in college and started taking an EMT course instead. After that, I'm going to join the military, then resume my pursuit of Wildlife Biology.

However, due to Marfans, there's the possibility I'll die in my 30's or 40's. That's if I don't bite the dust while in the military. Ah well, I never envisioned living to be an old fart.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...got 6 kids, 1 granddaugher, and 3 wives...who could ask for more?!

I thought that was only in Utah

Yeah...U, just NEVER know.....I've actually been married 4 times....but only had/have 3 wives...

ah.....the wonders of life...

...life's a bitch.....ya marry a few....then ya die...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Priorities change.

It's good.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]
A long list I dont want to go into.

Better then its been.

Im not that happy but I dont wake up and think of shooting myself everymoring anymore
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
hasn't even begun for me yet!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Ask me next year - if I get tenure, the only thing I'll have left is learning how to surf.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
shit
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I thank God.  

I exist only by the love and mercy of God.  

Thank You God.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#41]
unmitigated fucking disaster
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#42]
if i knew the things now i didnt know then
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm 5 years behind where I should be in my personal life and career.  Also, despite my best efforts, I've managed to accidentally follow every single family tradition...both good and bad, but none were what I wanted my life to be.  

I don't have the ideal family life that I imagined when I used to think about the future and getting married, but they are good-hearted and well-meaning.  I married later in life and to someone who wasn't what I thought of as my ideal match, but it has worked out well.

I'm not a millionaire, but I'm working on it.  I might make it by the time I die.  I do have job security.

I've let a lot of my hobbies fall by the way, but I enjoy my job more days than I hate it.  I'm planning on forcing myself to do more in the way of leisure activities.  My job feeds my ego and provides for me comfortably.

I never joined the military, but I've since realized that I wouldn't have been very good at it and probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.  I still feel that I do my share in the interests of national defense.  The older I get, the less I feel the need to contribute or take an interest in politics or world affairs.  I'm turning into a grumpy old man.

At this point, I thought I'd be married with six kids, a billionaire, and the biggest hero in the universe.  Youthful dreams are something, aren't they?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Taxman,
You ARE my inspiration
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I never could have planned my life.  I free float through it, and things always seem to work out the way they were supposed to. The downturns, always seem to be there for a reason.

I have a great life, and I enjoy every day of it!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine has turned out about as well as the best I ever imagined.   It is way better than the worst I ever imagined and way, way better than it could have been.

Before he died, my father told me he was proud of me.

My wife tells me she is proud of me.

My young daughter loves me.

Life is good!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#47]
everyday above ground is a good one
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Its good. Things that I wish I could change, I wonder if I did... would I be the same person I am today.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
It's mixed for me, I have failed to meet MY goals, but have probably exceeded most of my parents expectations.  I thought I would be married and have some rugrats by now, but all the time I spend traveling and not looking for women will probably keep that from ever happening.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
everyday above ground is a good one

A-fucking-men!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top