BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2013 9:11:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The trick is timing the migration to be in the right place at the right time.  When you time it right, you are covered in 'bou and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.  They don't take a lot of killing.  If you time it wrong, you're going to spend a lot of time looking at nothing.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont know about canuckistan, but theres plenty in Alaska.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you get in front of the movement and wait its easy.

Getting it out of the musk egg/swamp is FUCKING HARD

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Caribou themselves are fairly soft critters. So long as you pick a good bullet and can aim it's all good. Buddy of mine uses a 70gr TSX.  They make a hell of a sausage btw.

As for Canada, no idea. Alaska is more difficult.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Good lookin Bou
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Truth.

The hunt and kill is no problem.

It's getting back out with the meat that you'll hate.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]

You need a new sammich maker.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Not that hard if the timing is right. Like everyone else has said, the hard part is being in the right place, right time. One day you can see thousands of the damn things, passing them up left and right 'cause you want a double shovel......next day, they are 15 miles away or more and you aren't going to get one. That's what the guides get paid for- knowing where they are going to be and when. The actual stalk and shoot is usually about like shooting them at the zoo.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The meat is excellent, way better thsn venison.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
To kill "A" caribou is relatively easy if you are in the right spot. Killing the one you want however is a different story.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
This topic is of great interest to me, as I am scheduled to go on a hunt for these critters in August.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Rifle hunting, pretty easy.  Bow hunting a bit tricky'er.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The meat is excellent, way better thsn venison.

I still like Venison better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

Depends on where you are. Almost all zones in AK are hike in areas. Minimum 5 miles from the nearest point in the road, so closer to 10 lol.  There are a few that you can 4 wheeler in but those hunts are sporadic at best.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

+2

You can walk for miles and miss them.

Walking up and down mtns is fun.

Can fly into camp,boat,snogo or walk.  

I prefer going by snogo.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no actual experience but I have a friend that lived somewhere close to the Canadian Arctic circle for a while.
I asked him about meat hunting for caribou.

He said its like a grocery store on the hoof at the right time of year.
You just drive around, spot a caribou, get out of your car shoot it drag it out and throw it in the trunk and go home.

At least thats the way he put it, but he is a character.

As I understand in Canada you have to pack everything out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]
It's all fun and games until Santa kicks your ass and black lists your family for the next 1200 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Snogo?

Snowmobile

Iron Dog

Ski-doo

Slow mago

There's more nicknames for them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Old roomate of mine said the most important piece of advice he could give me when it came to hunting Caribou, Moose, or Elk was:  Shoot the fuckers as close to your truck as humanly possible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

Depends on where you are. Almost all zones in AK are hike in areas. Minimum 5 miles from the nearest point in the road, so closer to 10 lol.  There are a few that you can 4 wheeler in but those hunts are sporadic at best.

They are always making it more difficult for the hunter.  Making it so it's not worth doing.  Maybe, that is the plan?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do you want to kill Rudolph?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

They are always making it more difficult for the hunter.  Making it so it's not worth doing.  Maybe, that is the plan?

No, it's to keep people from tearing up the tundra or shooting their limit in one day. Thousands of caribou get harvested every year, it just takes the more dedicated to do it. Personally, I'm hoping to do my first caribou hunt this fall. It's just me and the Missus, so no need (and no room) for a moose.

A lot of guys just hike in with the basics (tarp, extra clothes, food and skinning gear) and hike the critter out in one go. In my case, that's not going to happen and I'm doing a non heart attack hunt lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By NorthPolar

There are a lot of people who hunt off the road system.

State is trying to keep the animal numbers up.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I heard they are the easiest due to their stupidity....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
It depends on which Caribou.  There are multiple species including Mountain, Barren Ground, woodland, and a couple other smaller ones.

The ones you see migrating in herds are generally Barren Ground.  Mountain Caribou live in well...mountains and are harder to hunt.  Woodland are likewise harder.

I killed a mountain Caribou a few years back and it was challenging but not impossible.  Fly in up in the Yukon, pack in for a couple days, hunted for two weeks...lots of saddle time and glassing followed by long (1500 yard) stalks, long shots...and then packing it all out.  

Good hunt but experience will differ depending on what species you hunt and how you hunt it (black powder, bow, handgun, rifle).
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

No, it's to keep people from tearing up the tundra or shooting their limit in one day. Thousands of caribou get harvested every year, it just takes the more dedicated to do it. Personally, I'm hoping to do my first caribou hunt this fall. It's just me and the Missus, so no need (and no room) for a moose.

A lot of guys just hike in with the basics (tarp, extra clothes, food and skinning gear) and hike the critter out in one go. In my case, that's not going to happen and I'm doing a non heart attack hunt lol

I learn new things on this site, everyday.  Thanks for the insight.   Good luck on your hunt.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You need a new sammich maker.

I eat a lot, just usually end up burning everything off
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

I also hear that you have to be mindful of the bears....

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Super Cub?

What do these damn things weigh dressed out?

I've never butchered a caribou, but probably around 50% of their live weight.  The gut pile on a ruminant will be around 25% of the animals wt., the hide.hooves and head around another 25%.  In my limited experience,  the effort and time required to field dress a 500 lb ruminant is a fair bit more then a 200 lb. deer.  You do all the same procedures, just more carcass and gut pile to move and work around.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#36]
If you go with an outfitter out of Montreal, have a plan to disable your truck while it's parked or find locked parking which is better.
My buddy's son in law drove his new GMC Envoy with his new 16 foot cargo trailer. We parked it at 11:00 that night outside
the fenced lot (which was full) of the motel.
We went to put the truck and trailer in the lot which was jammed so we had to park just outside the motel. I watched a guy trying to get out of the locked lot hit three vehicles backing and filling to get out.
Both truck and trailer were gone the next morning by 3:00 a.m. when we got up for the ride to the airport.
Two weeks later, other friends lost two 4X4 vehicle within 3 hours. One at their hotel the other in the restaurant while having dinner.
May have changed although I doubt it. Cops weren't real interested and spoke French at us.
Went in 98, good time and fun hunt as long as you can walk and haven't had your stuff stolen.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What time of year are they hunted?  Can you make it a "twofer" and club a baby seal at the same time??  

Different in each game unit up here.

Where i am at in one game unit i can hunt from Aug 1st to Mar 15th.

But i can get only 2 as the population has crashed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It depends on which Caribou.  There are multiple species including Mountain, Barren Ground, woodland, and a couple other smaller ones.

The ones you see migrating in herds are generally Barren Ground.  Mountain Caribou live in well...mountains and are harder to hunt.  Woodland are likewise harder.

I killed a mountain Caribou a few years back and it was challenging but not impossible.  Fly in up in the Yukon, pack in for a couple days, hunted for two weeks...lots of saddle time and glassing followed by long (1500 yard) stalks, long shots...and then packing it all out.  

Good hunt but experience will differ depending on what species you hunt and how you hunt it (black powder, bow, handgun, rifle).

For Canadian caribou, only good info so far.  The Woodland caribou are the subspecies that I would hunt, best racks and largest and farthest south.  Look for an outfitter.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Look into Adak, Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What time of year are they hunted?  Can you make it a "twofer" and club a baby seal at the same time??  

Which has crashed and why?  Wolves?  
Partly.

The weather,hunting pressure and the state just doesn't know what happened supposedly.

Went from around 30,000 to maybe 3-4,000.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The trick is timing the migration to be in the right place at the right time.  When you time it right, you are covered in 'bou and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.  They don't take a lot of killing.  If you time it wrong, you're going to spend a lot of time looking at nothing.  

Pretty much nails it on the head!

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Herd animals, a bit bigger than Mule deer.  Some friends plan thier hunts along water-ways.  Easier to pack to the canoe and canoe out.  They do the same for moose hunting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to AK back in 98' & we had 6-7 tags between a group of 5. Every single caribou except for 1 was taken within 100-300 yds of camp.  We did have one that got hit & proceeded to run into a small lake & got all wrapped up in thistle or whatever reed type shit = that was fun!  LOL.

We got all loaded up on the bush plane & we stopped by another camp on our way back in.  These guys had not slept in 2 days since they took their 1st animal. Right after taking it bears were more than happy to stick around & kept probing their camp perimeter at all hours. They had been leaning up against each other to pull 360* security & just about when any one of them might fall asleep a bear would show up...  The pilot felt bad for them but he said "I'll drop these guys off & come back for you...". I'll never forget the young kid's face when he heard that shit.

So I guess we just lucked out big time on that trip!   .  We only saw one bear from the bush plane on our way in & that was a good distance from where we  set up camp.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I believe that is the area we're going to...

Quoted:
Look into Adak, Alaska.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Partly.
The weather,hunting pressure and the state just doesn't know what happened supposedly.

That's a bit significant.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#48]
If this about me, I don't find it amusing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to AK back in 98' & we had 6-7 tags between a group of 5. Every single caribou except for 1 was taken within 100-300 yds of camp.  We did have one that got hit & proceeded to run into a small lake & got all wrapped up in thistle or whatever reed type shit = that was fun!  LOL.

We got all loaded up on the bush plane & we stopped by another camp on our way back in.  These guys had not slept in 2 days since they took their 1st animal. Right after taking it bears were more than happy to stick around & kept probing their camp perimeter at all hours. They had been leaning up against each other to pull 360* security & just about when any one of them might fall asleep a bear would show up...  The pilot felt bad for them but he said "I'll drop these guys off & come back for you...". I'll never forget the young kid's face when he heard that shit.

So I guess we just lucked out big time on that trip!   .  We only saw one bear from the bush plane on our way in & that was a good distance from where we  set up camp.
In a area near me the bears have learned a gunshot means FOOOOOOOOOD!

Your story sound like what has happened a lot in that area.

Kodiak is the same way.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Partly.

That's a bit significant.  

Yeah it is.

In all the flying the state/feds did supposedly they saw no remains.

If it rains and freezes when the calving season begins there is a really high mortality.

Same for the when the food gets covered in ice.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top