Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 1:12:11 PM EDT
I've been wanting on for a long time. I'll be increasing the cash flow soon and seriously thinking about getting one of these monsters. I'm thinking about an AR-50 or a Barret model 99. Any of you guys have one and how fun are they to shoot? Is there any other models that you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Boner time
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Boner time
View Quote

Hmmm...I'm not sure I should let you shoot mine anymore[:D]

In the $2k-3k price range, the LAR Grizzly is a good choice too. [url] www.largrizzly.com [/url]

The Barrett is the lightest, but also the most expensive.

The AR-50 is in the middle of the price range, but it is largest and heaviest.

The Grizzly is the cheapest, and relatively compact, but you may not like the bolt/buttstock arrangement.

All of them should be equally fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This site gives lots of info on the various 50s available.

[url]http://www.50bmgstore.com/[/url]

I like the Robar, weighing only 25lbs. Or maybe just one of each.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the one that mounts under the AR?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Watsonsweapons. Mouts on your AR lower. There about 1200 beans.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Watsonsweapons. Mouts on your AR lower. There about 1200 beans.
View Quote

KICK ASS I want one much more than a crap ass 37 mm is it a G/L by ATF standards
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw 3 men and a women at the range last week
and they were firing .50's from the hip at steel
targets 25 yards away. They all had big grins on
their faces and were laughing an slapping each outher on the back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw 3 men and a women at the range last week
and they were firing .50's from the hip at steel
targets 25 yards away. They all had big grins on
their faces and were laughing an slapping each outher on the back.
View Quote

See? Boner time
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
There is soooo much to be said for a semiauto 50![smoke]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I've only got to personally fire 1 shot from a .50 (It was a watson) It was awesome! not a day goes by that I don't think about it, anytime I'm spending to buy a pack of cigs, or a beer or even super-sizing my value-meals I think, BMG...BMG if I wasn't lead by temptation and gluttony I'd have a BMG!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Burn--I think you have the wrong impression of the Watson's upper.  It is an UPPER that replaces the upper on your AR, not an under-barrel attachement.  

Like this:
[img]http://www.watsonsweapons.com/images/boss.jpg[/img]

Yes .50's are a blast to shoot.

I have a State Arms KC2000 and Barrett M82--I will bring them to the IL. shoot this Sunday.

One that has not been mentioned is State Arms--
[url]http://www.statearms.com[/url]

They are offering a special now of a "shorty" 30" bbl gun for $1800 with their tactical stock or $2200 with the laminated stock.

My KC2000 is nearly identical to this one (their Rebel), and the shorty is almost the same with more barrel taper:

[img]http://www.statearms.com/images/rebelal2.jpg[/img]

Try the Barrett board for more info.

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/[/url]

(Reminder to self--have Jewbroni e-mail me)
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I recommend staying away from the shellholder guns for safety reasons.  Same with the cheap rifles made of plumbing scrap.  If it looks like it cost $18 to make I don't want it.

The Barrett is good.  I got an ArmaLite because it's a really interesting looking rifle and it has a good reputation for accuracy.  it weighs about 1/6 more than most .50s but the it isn't bad.  The recoil is lighter than anything else out there because of the 5 extra pounds and the great muzzle brake.  You'll want double hearing protection though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
T2--

I was concerned about the shell holder type also before I bought my State Arms.

I talked to several of the guys on the Barrett Board, and the general consensus was that the State Arms gun WILL NOT accidentally discharge, even if you drop a "loaded" bolt.  It is built extremely well.  I have yet to fire mine, but I have tried several ways to make the gun "fire" with no round in the chamber/holder.  This includes dropping it onto a carpeted floor (not brave enough to ding it up on anything solid), holding the trigger back while I insert the bolt, inserting the bolt part way, etc.  And I could not get mine to "fire".

One of the guys on the board who is familiar with these things pointed out to me that the military standard single shot .50 for years was the AMAC, which is also a shell holder design and they did not have trouble with mis-fires.  

I am not sure which gun has the reputation for problems (maybe the Grizzly?), but it just takes a little care and you won't have any problems.  I also learned that with single shot guns, you don't load until you are ready to shoot anyway--if you look at benchrest guns with triggerpulls in the Oz. rather than Lb. range (closest things to .50's),  they are always set up on target before they are loaded.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Also check out the SERBU 50Cal  http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.htm   [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
T2--

I was concerned about the shell holder type also before I bought my State Arms.
View Quote

Me too, at least until I realized Who Klaus was.
I had been looking for someone to build Me a .50BMG action about 15 years ago and had been refered to Klaus. After talking to him and getting all of the good feedback from people He had done work for, I had desided that He was the Only one I'd have trusted My life with! after all .50BMG=big BOOM! Well Life has a way of getting to My money before I can!, I got married, had kids and had to put the Idea of a .50 on the back burner for awhile.........

Quoted:
I talked to several of the guys on the Barrett Board, and the general consensus was that the State Arms gun WILL NOT accidentally discharge, even if you drop a "loaded" bolt.  It is built extremely well.  I have yet to fire mine, but I have tried several ways to make the gun "fire" with no round in the chamber/holder.  This includes dropping it onto a carpeted floor (not brave enough to ding it up on anything solid), holding the trigger back while I insert the bolt, inserting the bolt part way, etc.  And I could not get mine to "fire".
View Quote

I have fired Mine and it is both a pussycat to shoot and a damn fine bit of work. The KC2K guns have been shooting right along with, and sometimes, outshooting the other guns. I'd venture to say that it is right up there among the top 5 or so .50's under $8k.

Just FYI for everyone. Klaus has been a gunsmith for some time and does top quality work.

One of the guys on the board who is familiar with these things pointed out to me that the military standard single shot .50 for years was the AMAC, which is also a shell holder design and they did not have trouble with mis-fires.  

I am not sure which gun has the reputation for problems (maybe the Grizzly?), but it just takes a little care and you won't have any problems.  I also learned that with single shot guns, you don't load until you are ready to shoot anyway--if you look at benchrest guns with triggerpulls in the Oz. rather than Lb. range (closest things to .50's),  they are always set up on target before they are loaded.

AFARR
View Quote

My KC2K's trigger is around 2lbs. crisp, clean and sure. Don't be "put off" buy shell holders, There is no reason to be.

My $0.02 worth.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Get one NOW if you want one. The market is kinda in a slump, always is after elections. Most of the manufacturers have models in stock and ready to go, or the wait is low.

I've fired about 30,000 rds in my time at Barrett and never have gotten tired of it. When I take my personal 82A1 up to my home county, the local sheriff's dept always comes running and grinning. We usually shoot at 55 gallon drums at around 1000-1300m.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
eeshooter...Essau Mish-Khaff?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
eeshooter...Essau Mish-Khaff?
View Quote

??????
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#19]
My friend bought a custom .50 built on a 5 round box McBros bolt reciever from Steve Romans at Northwest Arms.  Excellent workmanship and very reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
AFARR

i didnt say watsonweapons did i just asked about the under mount. the next guy posted that
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#21]
50cal--

I didn't know you hung around here too!!

Tall Shadow--thanks for the info on Klaus--I intend to meet him someday, he is only about 2 hours from here.  The KC2k is definitely a nice gun.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get one NOW if you want one. The market is kinda in a slump, always is after elections. Most of the manufacturers have models in stock and ready to go, or the wait is low.

View Quote
I orderd in april and will be wating till the end of july for My AR 50. the reason I got mine is at the hunting shack there is a tree that every one has been trying to shoot down for about 3 years now. News flash the tree dies in july
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top