Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:34:19 AM EDT
Been around awhile, but still worth watching!

Are you this fast?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I am about 1.5min with a muzzle loader rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy Shit
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.........well..............he needs a hair cut!

ETA:  My dad can beat up his dad!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be more impressed if it were a factory gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

true dat  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]
the mag barely reaches his waist before his handgun's reloaded... that's fast.

It would be even more impressive if he was that fast with a factory one, but still very impressive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the mag barely reaches his waist before his handgun's reloaded... that's fast.

It would be even more impressive if he was that fast with a factory one, but still very impressive.

I would bet that he is nearly that fast with a factory gun. Actually I bet you could take that magwell off and his reloads would stay the same. I have seen reloads that fast on a stock Para ord. It really is just about practice.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Travis is pretty fast.  He's not the fastest of the fast, but he's definitely up there.  Travis is a Master class USPSA shooter.  Some of the guys that are Grand Master are a little bit faster.  

Oh, and yes, most of those guys can do similar reloads with stock guns.  I've seen Blake Miguez do similar reloads with stock Glocks even though he doesn't use those in competition.

The even more impressive one is Jerry Miculek doing reloads like that with a revolver.  Now he is amazing to watch, and he can do those things with pretty much anything you hand him.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The even more impressive one is Jerry Miculek doing reloads like that with a revolver.  Now he is amazing to watch, and he can do those things with pretty much anything you hand him.

Jerry is an impressive shooter and one of the nicest guys you'll meet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Serious. That think has a feed ramp a 2X4 would flop around in.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Wicked fast, but not a very concealable rig.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I can can always keep speed reloads with my stock GLOCK and mag from concealment in under 1.2 seconds
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how fast he could recover if his mag didn't drop when he hit the mag release. Sometimes that happens with factory guns/mags. He would actually have hit the mag that didn't drop with the new mag he was inserting. Then he would have to either put the new mag back in his mag pouch or position it in his fingers in a way that allowed him to strip out the expended magazine.
That's why I strip the mag from the pistol every time I do a mag change. Takes a tiny bit longer, but the mag is pretty much guaranteed to come out, and I'm not fumbling around with a new mag in the hand that's trying to un $uck my pistol.
Just my $.02, for what it's worth . YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Same here.
I've never really been all that impressed by people with "space guns"
Show me what you can do with a stock i.e. a practical weapon for a gunfight and then I'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious. That think has a feed ramp a 2X4 would flop around in.

The feed ramp is at the base of the chamber not magwell. A big magwell is a guid but not a funnel. If you are hitting the edge of the MW you are not going ot get a fast reload. I assure you he is getting square into the gun without so much as grazing that aftermarket magwell. Remember those are for run-n-gun. When you are standing stationary as he is, his reloads are DEAD on.

Also as stated, some of these guys are as fast with factory guns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.
I've never really been all that impressed by people with "space guns"
Show me what you can do with a stock i.e. a practical weapon for a gunfight and then I'll be impressed.

sigh....Dont any of you read?

Quoted:
Travis is pretty fast.  He's not the fastest of the fast, but he's definitely up there.  Travis is a Master class USPSA shooter.  Some of the guys that are Grand Master are a little bit faster.  

Oh, and yes, most of those guys can do similar reloads with stock guns.  I've seen Blake Miguez do similar reloads with stock Glocks even though he doesn't use those in competition.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Sully told me I was at or just under a second at his tactical pistol class last summer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#19]
He's good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I want to see how fast he is with the Makarov.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Travis is indeed a talented shooter.  I can tell you first hand that his reloads with a stock gun are only slightly slower.  And although he may be a USPSA "gamer" on the weekends, his day job is as an instructor for the US Army Marksmanship Unit out of Ft. Benning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Miculek's revolver reloads are insane... It looks like he throws the reload into the cylinder...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
How fast?   Well, I usually tumble the brass for about 2-3 hours.  Then manually sort through cases.  Lubricating and resizing can take me a while for a batch of cases.  Then I have to chamfer the neck and prime.  Weighing the powder charge is the tedious time consuming part.  Then charging and seating a bullet goes quick.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Travis is indeed a talented shooter.  I can tell you first hand that his reloads with a stock gun are only slightly slower.  And although he may be a USPSA "gamer" on the weekends, his day job is as an instructor for the US Army Marksmanship Unit out of Ft. Benning.

Hahahahaha, pwn3d!

From the video I would have guessed he was an LEO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Still impressive, but he's definitely a gamer. I wonder how he'd do with someone shooting back at him.

during the engagement, I think he would be hitting the other person center mass or head shots untill the "stage" was over.   then he might get the shakes, but with all the training he has he would still finish the engagement.   If something wrong happens on a stage, they fix it.   nothing stops them, unless they are incapacitated, or the gun is really and truly broken.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]
never mind, i'm an idiot
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still impressive, but he's definitely a gamer. I wonder how he'd do with someone shooting back at him.

during the engagement, I think he would be hitting the other person center mass or head shots untill the "stage" was over.   then he might get the shakes, but with all the training he has he would still finish the engagement.   If something wrong happens on a stage, they fix it.   nothing stops them, unless they are incapacitated, or the gun is really and truly broken.

Quoted:
his day job is as an instructor for the US Army Marksmanship Unit out of Ft. Benning.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#30]
thats bad ass...

I think I am best with an M4, next a SAW, and then a pistol...yea, I need to work on that
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Why would I ever eject a magazine onto the floor and quickly slap in a new magazine without working the slide?

Why would you work the slide?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would I ever eject a magazine onto the floor and quickly slap in a new magazine without working the slide?

Because I do not picture a situation where I would eject a magazine onto the ground and quickly slap another one in if the gun was not empty. If there is still a fight going on I'd keep shooting til the gun was empty. If I was under cover or thought I was safe from anything happening right away I'd retain that mag he's popping out onto the ground.

Well I have to disagree. It is standard teaching to NOT shoot your gun dry. To never be left with a gun that is not ready to go.

CH

ETA: ANother reason I cant stand mag safties on some firearms.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because I do not picture a situation where I would eject a magazine onto the ground and quickly slap another one in if the gun was not empty. If there is still a fight going on I'd keep shooting til the gun was empty. If I was under cover or thought I was safe from anything happening right away I'd retain that mag he's popping out onto the ground.

Never let your weapon run dry. Costs alot of push ups and sit ups with people in the military. Also lots of verbal abuse from the TO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the gun is at slide lock, then obviously it would have to have the slide racked.  Otherwise, if you work the slide, then you're just popping out a perfectly good round.  

BTW, most of the guys at Travis' level are exceptionally good at counting their rounds.  They know when they have an empty mag and one round left in the chamber.

Also, doing a reload before you run into slide lock is a time saver.  Even if there is a round or two left in the mag, you're better off getting back to the shooting quicker.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I have to disagree. It is standard teaching to NOT shoot your gun dry. To never be left with a gun that is not ready to go.

CH

So if you're shooting at someone instead of plugging him with the last two or three bullets you'd stop and take the time to stuff a new magazine in there? Personally I think my time would be better spent shooting while the gun still has bullets in it.

If I could relaod as fast as the guy in the vid

Point being you need to be aware of every shot and relaod when the opurtunity is there. If you shoot your gun dry and are faced with an advancing BG and your slide is locked back you have in yoru hand a very expensive club.

Reload on a hot chamber and you have at least one shot during your reload time. Not so if the gun is dry.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
How fast?   Well, I usually tumble the brass for about 2-3 hours.  Then manually sort through cases.  Lubricating and resizing can take me a while for a batch of cases.  Then I have to chamfer the neck and prime.  Weighing the powder charge is the tedious time consuming part.  Then charging and seating a bullet goes quick.

True dat! I always LOVE it when I get to the powder charge and bullet seating cause it's almost over. Well... that and trimming the cases cause I get to use the drill!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#43]
That was pretty damn fast.

One question though, why is he watching his mags into the well?

Tactically I thought you were supposed to watch the target and not take your eyes from the target.  That should be the case even during mag changes.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I love how we all try to dismantle a guy who can probably outshoot the best of us any day of the week.

I have a video of me doing a reloading drill I've been wanting to post for a while, but this guy is literally three times as fast as I am, so I guess I'll go back to doing a few more drills before I post the vid.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the gun is at slide lock, then obviously it would have to have the slide racked.  Otherwise, if you work the slide, then you're just popping out a perfectly good round.  

BTW, most of the guys at Travis' level are exceptionally good at counting their rounds.  They know when they have an empty mag and one round left in the chamber.

Also, doing a reload before you run into slide lock is a time saver.  Even if there is a round or two left in the mag, you're better off getting back to the shooting quicker.

Am I the only one that sees the inherent contradiction here? Racking the slide wastes a perfectly good round, and you get gigged for it. Dropping a mag with perfectly good rounds in it is OK though.

Aimless, I hear you brother. I rack the slide as a habit. If I seat a mag in my Glock and the slide goes forward on its own (as Glocks sometimes do) I still rack the slide. The "click" sound a Glock makes when there is no round in the chamber is a really nasty one when you really really needed it to go boom.
There is a difference between training for combat, and training for gaming. The combative pistol training I have done taught us to shoot to slide lock. I learned to shoot from a guy that is a whole lot more credible than this guy in the video. I know Aimless has a few combative pistol classes under his belt too, also from top of the line schools. The method he is describing is not the traditional 'gaming' method. If you are counting rounds in a gun fight, you are wasting brain power that could be used to think about tactics. In a fight you are not worried about how many rounds you will need to finish the next "stage", you are shooting to stop a threat. If I am putting rounds into a bad guy and I suddenly realize that I only have one or two rounds left, I am definitely not going to stop shooting him to reload. Especially while he is charging at me with a knife or something. I can squeeze out two rounds faster than even the video guy can reload and I'm no pro. Combative shooters shoot to stop the threat, whatever it takes. Gamers shoot to score points, and most efficiently complete a course of fire. Big difference.
I personally save retention reloads for when I'm behind cover. If I'm reloading on the run, the mag drops to the ground.
As usual, I am not a pro, YMMV, just my $.02 and all that.
I hear you Aimless, and I agree about shooting to slide lock in a gun fight. I could care less about points in a fight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#47]

I personally don't have a problem dropping a mag on the ground during a reload, as opposed to retaining it in a pocket or something.  IMO the likely CCW shooting scenarios I will encounter will either end with me dead, or the bad guy down on the ground, not with me running away as fast as possible after having fired one or more magazines.  

Therefore, it is likely I will either be able to pick up my dropped mag (or have the police return it to me) afterwards, or I will be in no condition to need it anyway.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I personally don't have a problem dropping a mag on the ground during a reload, as opposed to retaining it in a pocket or something.  IMO the likely CCW shooting scenarios I will encounter will either end with me dead, or the bad guy down on the ground, not with me running away as fast as possible after having fired one or more magazines.  

Therefore, it is likely I will either be able to pick up my dropped mag (or have the police return it to me) afterwards, or I will be in no condition to need it anyway.

I sure wish I could predict how a possible shooting scenario is going to play out ahead of time. If I am reading you correctly, those pesky "unlikely" scenarios that you don't see happening just aren't worth training for eh?
I just don't understand this line of thinking, sorry. No offense intended.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure wish I could predict how a possible shooting scenario is going to play out ahead of time. If I am reading you correctly, those pesky "unlikely" scenarios that you don't see happening just aren't worth training for eh?
I just don't understand this line of thinking, sorry. No offense intended.

+eleventy-billion.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never let your weapon run dry. Costs alot of push ups and sit ups with people in the military. Also lots of verbal abuse from the TO.

I hope if anyone ever starts shooting at me he takes the time to reload a loaded gun instead of continuing to shoot. I'll pass on that particular gem of military wisdom.

Agreed.

This just goes to show that military, police, and civilian tactics are not always interchangeable. You may have the luxury to stop shooting and change mags in your rifle when the rest of your platoon is still firing at the enemy. However, stopping to change mags in your handgun during the typical self defense shooting when the threat is only a few feet away would be foolish. The only times I would stop shooting to change mags would be 1. If I was behind cover, or 2. After the threat was eliminated in case there were other perps in the area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top