Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
If an employer asks you if you have ever had a moving violation or an accident, how far back can they check?

I was hit by a tanker truck 6 years ago while I was waiting for a stop light. If I am applying for a driving job, will this count against me?

I had a speeding ticket 10 years ago, do I have to disclose that?

Anyone have any experience with this situation?
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
In Cali it's 5 years

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In Cali it's 5 years

Sgatr15

Generally, 3 years. 7 years for reckless, DUI, etc.

www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl15.htm
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
the app will say how for back they what you to list.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It sounds like he wants to know whether or not he can lie on the application.  

If an employer asks you if you have ever had a moving violation or an accident, how far back can they check?

"ever" means "ever".  
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as I am concerned, once it drifts off your DMV record, it never happened. So, if you know it's off, say "never."
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as they want.  They ask about  convictions or tickets.  Anybody that goes more than a few years back isn't getting good data and probably will ignore minor stuff many years ago. In fact most applications say ignore minor traffic violataions.

HOWEVER, falsify an application and you will get terminated as in FIRED.  Now you have a real problem, because if if your next application aks why you are no longer there? and you don't lie again, you may be in deep kimchee.

If you have no other problems and you fit what they are looking for, a minor accident not your fault many years ago isn't going to make a difference.  If you don't fit what they are looking for, then it doesn't really matter in that case either.

And BTW companies do check and companies will tell if you got fired for cause.  The pendulum has swung back.  As long as a company gives accurate information they are far less likely to be sued and lose than if they have derogatory information and don't provide it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds like he wants to know whether or not he can lie on the application.  

"ever" means "ever".  

I do not want to lie about anything, but if an accident was not my fault, I do not want to get screwed because of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top