Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 11:12:06 AM EDT
For those who fly regularly, how early should I arrive before my flight? I remember is used to be two hours. Is that still the case? I am flying out of Philadelphia Int.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
domestic or international?

e ticket or paper?

checking luggage?

what time of day?

day of the week?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I was snowed in there for 3 days while visiting my sister/bro in law......
and I was always early

....oddest thing was finally flying out in Heavy Snow
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What part of the area are you in?

SEPTA's R1 rail line goes to the airport from (IIRC) 30th Street Station and Market Steet East, and then it sort of turns into the r2 line and goes north from there into Glenside and Warminster.  Did it all the time back when I had to travel.

www.septa.org

From other areas of metro Philly, you'll have to ask others.  

I seem to recall that Philly Int'l wasn't as screwed-up as most others, but that was before 9/11 and the associated nonsense, and before the graft and corruption and kickbacks to John Street's friends and relatives expansion project actually saw someone do something resembling work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Plan such that you get in the check-in line 2 hours before your flight leaves.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
domestic

e ticket or paper?
eticket

checking luggage?
1 bag

what time of day?
evening

day of the week?

today

Thanks for your help guys. I will be getting fropped off at the airport.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in and out of Philly about every 3rd week or so.  Chicky poo drops me off at the Northwest departure place, I walk straight to security (bypass check in) and show them my ID Badge (pilot jump seating, I cut to the front of the line for the baggage check ), and I'm there at the Northwest gates..........20 minutes tops.  

Your mileage may vary, however.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
domestic

e ticket or paper?
eticket

checking luggage?
1 bag

what time of day?
evening

day of the week?

today

Thanks for your help guys. I will be getting fropped off at the airport.

get to the curb 1 hr and 5 mins before flight time and you'll be fine.

enjoy your fropping. be sure to wash your hands.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm in and out of Philly about every 3rd week or so.  Chicky poo drops me off at the Northwest departure place, I walk straight to security (bypass check in) and show them my ID Badge (pilot jump seating, I cut to the front of the line for the baggage check ), and I'm there at the Northwest gates..........20 minutes tops.  

Your mileage may vary, however.

vmax84

As a travel agent, I'm cringing.  I can't tell you how many people have missed their flights because they allow too little time at the airport.  Sounds like you have an "in".  But for the rest of society, please do allow one hour for check in during normal weekday domestic travel.  2 hours for heavy travel times (vacation, holidays, etc) and at least 2 hours for international travel. And don't forget that government issued photo id!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
it's never taken me close to an hour, then again that all depends if TSA want's to give you the old probing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
it's never taken me close to an hour, then again that all depends if TSA want's to give you the old probing.

I said "allow one hour".  This is the airline suggested check in time.  Doesn't matter how long it's taken you in the past.  And the airlines are cracking down on gate check in times as well.  They will turn you away at the gate if you arrive there less than 20 minutes prior to flight departure time on most domestic flights.

I myself have stood in line at security for longer than one hour.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said "allow one hour".  This is the airline suggested check in time.  Doesn't matter how long it's taken you in the past.  And the airlines are cracking down on gate check in times as well.  They will turn you away at the gate if you arrive there less than 20 minutes prior to flight departure time on most domestic flights.

I myself have stood in line at security for longer than one hour.

I still show up 1.5hrs early anyway, then my flight is inevitably delayed and by the 4th hour i'm looking for a place to hang myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I always get to the airports early.

I just assume 2 hours then get stuck wondering around.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I always get to the airports early.

I just assume 2 hours then get stuck wondering around.

I wonder too.  I wonder how many airlines are going to go bankrupt this year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I always figure 2 hours and if I get to the gate early I can always get something to eat, look at planes, and maybe talk to a pilot.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top