Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
You know, those heated wands you put in your safe?  Can someone please explain to me how the physics on this one works.  How does heating the air keep your safe drier?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Condensation forms because of changes of temperature. If the temperature is kept the same all the time then you won't have any condensation form. I think
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Tiny bits of magic
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok I'm typing this right out of goldenrods sales book.

The guns in the cabinet are all being bathed in constantly warm, dry air as the goldenrod mounted at the bottom of the safe functions 24 hours a day. Air that is warmed by the goldenroad rises up through the guns and is replaced by cool air creating a constant cycle of air movement.

In the process, the temperature of the metal parts in the guns is increased slightly (about 3 degrees) - just enough to eliminate the tendency of cold metal to condense moisture of the damp air. Wood parts are maintained at a warmth level that discourages moisture from building up in bedding areas and other metal-to-wood contact areas. These are the most vulneralbe to rust, corrosion and pitting. They are also the most difficult to detect in a routine gun ispection. With the GoldenRod on guard, this insidious worry is eliminated.

So pretty much it heats up the temp inside the safe and stops the moisture from forming.

GodenRods phone number is 1-800-451-6797.  They can probly give you even a better idea.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
ASK MY WIFE
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ASK MY WIFE

I thought the point of it was to reduce moisture.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The self-heating properties of the Goldenrod device are aerodynamically designed to increase the internal temperature of a precisely defined space by a factor of 53%, which when factored by the square root of moisture present (69.458% per linear foot, relatively) results in extrapolation by means of displacement resultant by a factor of...

How about you just read the product documentation?

How GoldenRod works:
GoldenRod heats to a surface temperature of less than 150°F (which is almost too warm to hold for some) and circulates warm, dry air throughout an enclosure on a 24-hour basis. This increases the temperature of the air inside to several degrees above the ambient outside temperature. Expansion of the heated air forces the moist air outside through the vents or loose fitting doors leaving the dry air inside.

arfcom is killing me today.
Now where was I? Oh yes, I have to call the police because my car alarm keeps going off by itself... but first, I think I'll post a thread!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top