Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/27/2004 2:08:31 PM EST
Okay...

Just going over grants and crap.... There is nothing for a married white guy who works!

How does a guy who works, is married, owns a house (well paying for it), no kids, and decent credit afford to go to college?

I am wanting to change careers and go to nursing school (life long dream) and all I find is NOTHING!

This is not a racist or sexist slur...but if I was a divorced black female with two kids and no job I could get 100% of my school paid for!

However, since I am responsible I get SCREWED!!!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:09:13 PM EST
Pell Grant, that is how I went to college free on Uncle Sugar!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:10:12 PM EST
You have a house and good credit.

Take out a loan.

Or are you looking for a hand out?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:11:33 PM EST
Gigolo
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:12:07 PM EST
Take out loans like the rest of us

Did I mention my fiancee pays over $700 per month in student loans?

A lot of colleges DO offer merit-based scholarships and grants and other "discounts" - and are probably a little more eager to do so there days, since applications and enrollments have been steadily declining for the past few years.

Plus, a lot of state schools offer a damn good education for relatively little money. No need to go to the insanely expensive private schools, because it's not clear the education is necessarily much better (although it might get you a better job).

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:16:16 PM EST
Someone just had 30000 pounds of Cocaine intercepted by the Navy. The owners are worried about college too................

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:16:18 PM EST
I went through college on student loans. Even with the monthly payment I make more per year than any of my friends who didn't go to college.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:19:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:20:35 PM EST
Enlist?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:22:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Take out a loan.

SGatr15

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:23:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 2:23:59 PM EST by benbob]
My job pays for everything but the books. I'm 35 working full time and back in school at a private university.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:28:02 PM EST
Start sucking dick on the side and you can either pay for colledge , or claim the "I'm a fag that is discrimination." card.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:30:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 2:32:18 PM EST by Schulze]

Originally Posted By Kodiak-AK:
Start sucking dick on the side and you can either pay for colledge , or claim the "I'm a fag that is discrimination." card.

He's married. You type, but do you read?

On topic, if nursing can get you such a high paying job that the loans are worth it, then get loans. If its not worth it....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:31:46 PM EST
TylerSchreck: Try 2 years at the local junior college and save, save, save while you are there. The fees are pretty nominal compared to that of the 4 year schools. Some people also got 2 year RN degrees here in Kali-fornia. But are the 4 year RN degrees are the preferred? The health care profession will be growing by leaps and bounds as the baby boomers are starting to retire.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:34:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 2:38:59 PM EST by Hank_Rearden1]
Call your Congressman, if he or she is a Republican, they will be able to guide you in the right direction...

Also call the Whitehouse, ask about the President's initiatives to help responsible working people start new careers... There is A LOT of $$$MONEY$$$ in the way for funding for folks just like you. You just need to ask the right people the right questions.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:35:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By TylerSchreck:

I am wanting to change careers and go to nursing school (life long dream) and all I find is NOTHING!{quote]

Your life long dream is to become a nurse
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:52:41 PM EST
Like anybody gives a shit about my life...

OK, after high school I went to a Bravo Sierra 2-year technical school. I got a trade degree, and through the school, my first jobby-job. From there I worked as a non-degreed technician in a professional industry for about 10 years. I was doing OK, but I knew that I was about to max out in my careeer without a degree. At the urging of my then-current employer, my wife, a lot of friends and others, I started taking college classes at the local community college. Then I knew I was in deep doo-doo: I liked it. I mean, I really liked college. A lot. Crap. Well, after taking one or two classes a semester for a lot of years as a part-time student with a full-time job that required a fair amount of global travel, I realized a couple of things. One, I was about out of classes I could take at CC that would transfer and two, if I didn't get my poop in a group, I'd be hitting the big Four-Oh without my degree. Again, at the behest and prodding of those around me, I entered KU in the fall of 2000 as a middle-age(ish) sophomore with a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and a couple of years left on a car payment.

Now, up to this point, I had been paying as I went, which was OK since I had a full-time (and good-paying) job and CC was pretty cheap by comparison to a full university. When time came to go to KU though, some tough choices had to made. My wife made it pretty clear to me early on that her tolerance for sacrifice was low. As she put it, she lived like a college student once, and wasn't willing to do it again. Well, as things turned out, my being in college wasn't too traumatic on us at first, at least financially. My wife's salary pretty much kept us afloat, and my part-time work was paying for my school and some toward the bills. We weren't putting anything away in savings during those times, though, which has come back to haunt me.

Nevertheless, I soldiered on. My second semester there, I got an undergraduate Teaching Assistant position, which afforded me a few things. First, I got paid like $8/hour for 20 hours a week. Second, I had an office to leave all my books and crap in, a place to do homework, a little fridge and a microwave and a lot of little amenities. Most importantly though, it gave me greater access to the faculty and staff in the department. Through my close relationships with them, I was able to learn much more about the mechanics and politics of collegiate academics. Also that semester, I started doing some reasearch work for one of the best professors there. That again increased my exposure to the department.

The next semester was summer. I took 13 hours. That was 4, 3-hour classes plus 1 credit hour for research. I worked (and sweated, in my non-air-conditioned office that was so great in the spring) my butt off every day, including weekends, that summer. I will never forget it. In that summer, I cemented my reputation in the department as a student that was there to kick ass and take names.

I followed that 13-hour summer with a 17-hour fall. I kept my T/A and research positions, and was rocking and rolling in class. I was rewarded with a $750/semester merit scholarship for the next two semesters.

The next semester, spring '02, was the home stretch. Because of my summer of hell and the busy fall, I was able to have a 12-hour spring, which I extended into 13 hours with research. At the end, I was surprised and honored to be named the Outstanding Senior Civil Engineer, and I got to stand on the stage during commencement for the School of Engineering, attend a couple of really great alumni functions, and received a check from the local American Society of Civil Engineers chapter. My work had paid off.

I will never forget standing on that stage. I had a clear line of sight to my wife and daughters. I recall clearly the Chancellor calling for a round of applause for the families of the graduates. I am not ashamed to write that I wept then. I wept like I did when my fater died more than 20 years before, but this time not out of sorrow, but out of gratitude for what God had bestowed upon me.

Upon graduation, I returned to my job as a degreed engineer, and as Vice President of the firm that I had, by then, been with for 11 years. From then to now is a whole other story for another thread.

Suffice to say that if it is something you desire, and you have the support of your family, friends and others, you will find a way to make it work.

My specific advice:
1. Apply for every scholarship you can find. No matter if it's for one-eyed albino soccer players from Pago-Pago, apply for it. You would be utterly staggered to know how much scholarship money goes un-awarded every year, just because there aren't any applicants.

2. Become active in your studies. Meet with your professors, often. Ask them how you're doing, and if you can do more.

3. Become active in various organizations within your field of study. You will meet great friends and new and amazing opportunities will present themselves.

4. Don't quit.

5. Don't quit.

6. Don't quit.

7. Don't be ashamed to ask for financial help from family, friends or others who have the means. Heck, there may come a time when you don't have two nickels to rub together and your car needs an oil change. Ask for help.

8. Take pride in what you've done, what you're doing and what you will do.

9. Don't skip any classes. I did during my time at CC, and I suffered for it.

10. Keep us posted at ARFcom about your progress. We're a bunch of cantankerous, jaded fools, but we do care about our own, and we are constantly impressed by the advancement and acheivement of our fellow members.

Good luck, my friend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:54:55 PM EST
Lose the "white guy" part and maybe people would be more willing to listen.....................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:56:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By benbob:
My job pays for everything but the books. I'm 35 working full time and back in school at a private university.

+1 5,000 a year in free tuiton. Just ambition to take the classes foo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:00:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By benbob:

+1

My work paid for my schooling based on my grades. I finished a BSME and had -$0- in student loans. I then went to grad school for an MBA and graduated with -$0- in student loans. I was obligated to stay with them for 1 year after my graduation.

Look for a job where this is a benefit included in your compensation.

As stated above, don't give up, don't give up, don't give up. It is easy to get distracted. Stay focused.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:01:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By green18:
Lose the "white guy" part and maybe people would be more willing to listen.....................

Don't like truth too much, eh?

Law school. I and a friend of mine are exactly alike to the school. Same level of undergrad college (tier three), same LSAT score, same undergrad GPA, and same length of time working in real life.

He claims to be mexican and gets a full ride to the number 7 law school in the nation, gets free housing, and gets his white wife into the same school, even though she didn't have the cut score to even be considered.

I, the white man, get shit.

By the way, he was about as mexican as any other Italian. He was from texas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:07:55 PM EST
Started working at 18 instead of going to college.

Bought my first house at 21. Had a good paying job til in my early 30's. In between I had owned 3 other houses.

I walked into work one day and called my wife to tell I had quit. I am 36 now and a sophmore

I haven't taken out any loans and have paid all of it myself. My degree/s will be loan free.

Married, four kids, mortgage and own a small business

I may not of have had the discipline I do now back then...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:08:41 PM EST
A lot of companies will pay for College/University education if it is in your field. You usually have to get B- grade or better and amount they actually cover will vary. BTW it usually doesn't cover books but you never know.

My wife is working to get her masters in accounting and her company pays 100% of tutition if she gets A grade or 80% if she gets B in class... upto $3,000 per semister. Unfortunately they don't cover books and last semister she spent over $1,000 for just books.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:13:39 PM EST
Yeah....If I'd been thinking, I would have made a note of the fact that I'm 1/4 native american....

Those that have met me know I don't look it, but its true.

Coulda had a full-ride dang near anywhere by the time I added up all the grants I could have got.

Instead, I've got a crapload of student loans piling up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:16:46 PM EST
I am not looking for a handout...just wanted to know some options and things that others have done.

Sorry...well..hell no I'm not sorry when I say white guy... On the average 75% of the grants are for minority students that I have found!

I'm not being racist...I'm just being real! How many grants do you see that that say:

Requirement: Caucasian

The answer that I have seen is ZERO!!

Now... How many do I see that say: African American, Native American, Mexican, Cuban...and on and on.

The answer.....A majority!

I do have two years of college under my belt at a 3.5 GPA. I plan on attending a two year RN program and work on the BA or BS after getting licensed. I figure I can knock out the program in an actual 1 1/2 years of actual class as I already have a few of the courses completed.

I didn't mean this post as a sexist or racist war... I am just being real and frustrated. I really don't want to have to stop working, live off the .gov and let them pay for me to live and for school.

The thing that worries me the most is the paying the bills while in school. I most likely get loans...does anyone have any good advice on what type and / or from who?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:19:00 PM EST
do like I do ask for your MINORITY DISCOUNT everywhere you shop......I have actually gotten one at a mexican resturaunt once!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:22:14 PM EST
student loans, the same way dumb, poor kids, who flip burgers for a paycheck do.... all you have to do is work your "real job" for 30 years to pay them back after you finish school
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:29:38 PM EST
I'm in your same situation almost except that I have a kid on the way.

I have a house, wife, and full time job. My problem is there is no time to go to school even if I do get school loans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:31:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By Schulze:

He's married. You type, but do you read?

On topic, if nursing can get you such a high paying job that the loans are worth it, then get loans. If its not worth it....

In red for those that can't.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:08:57 PM EST
The most important thing is to find a cheap school.

Next, your consider your options for loans such as subsidized stafford loans(need a low income), unsubsidized stafford loans, private loans, loans off the equity of your house, and of course, credit cards .

Reduce your income. All of the free and subsidized financial aid is based on income. The FAFSA is done on your previous tax year rather than your current income, which means that while you are earning nothing, you could be getting financial aid as if you were working full time . The first year will suck because your income the previous tax year was high. So minimize the amount of time that you spend in this in between state, ie if you start in spring instead of fall, you will only suffer one year at full income financial aid rather than that plus another year at half income financial aid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:18:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By TylerSchreck:

I do have two years of college under my belt at a 3.5 GPA. I plan on attending a two year RN program and work on the BA or BS after getting licensed. I figure I can knock out the program in an actual 1 1/2 years of actual class as I already have a few of the courses completed.

How expensive are the junior colleges where you live? California's junior colleges are pretty cheap to attend. I got my ADN first then went back to school on-line to get my BSN. I used Federally backed student loans for my BSN. I did not have to pay anything back until after I finished the program. The loans are not based on income. The whores that University of Phoenix be...they will help you out in applying for the federal loans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:24:31 PM EST
I am doing it right now. Wife works, I work part-time. We marshall our resources, save where we can, and even have 1 car payment and 2 house payments right now. But we've always been frugal and watched our money wisely. I am paying for college without having to take out ANY loans. I also have sold some gun-related stuff to help finance it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:28:51 PM EST
loans.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:29:18 PM EST
Also, you WILL get a job at very high pay when you get out.

My suggestion is to take a part-time CNA job with a local hospital - they will pay for part of your education as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:47:02 PM EST
TS...have you already used up all of your Montgomery GI Bill or has it been over 10 years since you got out of the service? I don't know if going back into the Air Guard or something similar is an option but that would take care of school. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:21:03 PM EST
I am doing a mid-life career change right now. I got into a BS program for Radiological Sciences (X-ray and diagnostic imaging). The way our program is set up it's almost impossible to work and go to school at the same time. I'm luck because my wife is an RN and she makes enough to pay the mortgage and bills.

I was able to get an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan that is covering my tuition and books. I also got a $500.00 scholarship from the ladies auxillary at a local hospital. Check into Nursing professional organizations and hospitals for small scholarships. Some hospitals and staffing agencies will subsidize a portion of your tuition if you sign an employment contract with them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:32:52 PM EST
Get a job with United Technologies, they pay 100% plus books as long as you get an A. B. or C. You do have to pay tax if they pay more than $5200 per year on your behalf. UTC also gives it's employees $5K in stock for each degree they obtain. Associate, Batchler, Master, etc. Oh, also you would get half the time you spend in school off from work, paid (Max. 3 hours off paid per week).

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:40:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:57:57 PM EST
I worked full time (swing shift for years) and went to college full time. The last year I had to take out some student loans. It was hard on the family, but I got the paper (three degrees). Community College is just as good as 4 year schools and in some ways better.

I had a real hard time with organic chemistry. Tried to get some help, private tutor. Sorry, if you were blank, blank, or blank, we could help you, but you're what the first guy said, so we won't do anything for you. I got through by signing up for the late class and sitting through the early class and then the class I signed up for. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.

Never did learn to spell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:53 PM EST
Try finding an employer with tuition reimbursement. Usually it's tax exempt up to the first $5K. After that, you just have to pay the tax.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:24:32 AM EST
I went for a while under the United White Boys College Fund

Otherwise known as the GI Bill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:42:13 AM EST
Sell drugs.

This may tie in with your nursing eductation. I'm sure you'll have some untethered access to the lab & all those cool meds. There ya go.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:15:06 AM EST
www.elearners.com - See resources area.

www.fastweb.com - Scholarships

www.fafsa.ed.gov - Grants

www.collegefreestuff.com - Free condoms, samples, latex.

Best thing to do for student loans is goto the college of you pick and apply for the loans thru them. they will link up the apps with the banks and EAS.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:27:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Take out a loan.

SGatr15

If he pays taxes and has children and is the sole provider grant isn't a hand out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:57:06 AM EST
I agree... Education subsidies are not handouts. So many people get them that schools price them into the tuition. i.e. the tuition gets jacked up because they assume you will be able to get loans or grants. If subsidies didn't exist then you'd see lower tuition fees.

And yeah it's more fiscal social engineering, just like the tax code.

Maybe one day they'll have famous but cheap universities in China
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:10:26 AM EST
Thanks everyone for the advice / information...most of it good..some of it..well....

I am prior service, but lost my GI Bill due to a break in service. Halfway through my Reserve contract I took a two year break into the IRR and when I came back in had to sing a new contract and well.... no GI Bill for me. (I was young and stupid) However, I do have 9 good years in the Reserves (odd year is from a 1 year extension)

I have thought about going into the Reserves, or National Guard or Coast Guard. BTW.... I am not one of those give me money to go to school if I join the service and don't want to go to war type. If I get the call...I go... Duty, Honor, Country... My Grandpa engrained that into my head as well as the Army!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:16:44 AM EST
I'm an RN. Here's what you do. First of all go to a Associate Degree school. Don't listen to the crap people talk. If you ain't got the money your wasting it on a four year program. Most places don't pay any more for more years of school.Later if you want to get the four year (which you have to have for a FEW better paying nursing jobs) you are making some money as an associate degree educated nurse and to get the BS will be easier. I was an LPN first, Vo-Tech educated and proud of it, made 30grand a year (working 3 day weeks)and that made it easier to get the Associates, now its even easier to get the BS. It takes a while when mommy ain't paying the bills. The GI bill did help.
Vo-Tech schools here also have a "sex-bias" rule. Since I was a guy going into a woman dominated field I got $1.40 an hour to go and reimbursed for LPN school.
Top Top