Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2016 11:04:03 AM EDT
Remington brags that their rifles are the most accurate mass produced rifles there are, no doubt to justify their $700+ price tag.  Just thinking out loud...if one were to get a K31 and put a scope on it, how would it stack up with the 700?  I'm hearing sub MOA performance with the K31s and all G11 ammo is supposed to be match grade, but at the same time I'm hearing 700s are "fix-it" rifles where you have to pour even more money into replacement stocks to get real sub-MOA accuracy out of it. . Plus, the straight pull can't NOT assist in follow up shots.  K31s are still at quasi-milsupr prices, or at least, still cheper than Remington 700s.

You see where I'm going with this idea- can a scoped K31 give better performance at the expense of more pricey ammunition?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the PRK allow you to own guns?

Or internet?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My old mans K31 shoots better than my Rem 700 or my win m70

Then again, pretty much all rifles are better shooters than the people shooting them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or internet?
View Quote

The People's Republic of Konnecticut is getting more and more hostile to firearms by the year.  We're the ones who sent that dipshot Chris Murphy to Congress.

If I wanted a K31 or Remington 700 I need to get it before the "sniper rifle" bans start coming out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my K31 a hell of a lot more than I liked my Rustington 700.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
K31 is fucking awesome

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The People's Republic of Konnecticut is getting more and more hostile to firearms by the year.  We're the ones who sent that dipshot Chris Murphy to Congress.

If I wanted a K31 or Remington 700 I need to get it before the "sniper rifle" bans start coming out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or internet?

K31 is more ban proof, and an objectively cooler piece.  I would go for that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how they stack up, but I know I'd rather have the K31
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
K31s accuracy is overrated due to very high quality ammo being common, and Carcanos are underrated due to the non existence of good ammo.

Given high quality ammo and new condition rack grade rifles, my opinion is that K31s rank third behind the Ross Mk III and M38 Swedish Mauser.

Remington lets some turds get through, but if you don't have one of those, they are great, even if no longer a work of the gunsmiths art.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I owned a K31.  I used to wrench on Remington 700s.   Out of the box, normally the K31 is far more accurate, even with Swiss milsurp ammo.

A box-stock Remington 700 is not an "accurate" rifle.  You buy it because either (a) you want to have an "accurate enough" rifle for purposes of taking large game, or (b) you only want the action because you are rebuilding the rifle into an "accurate" rifle with aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep flirting with the idea of putting a Lupy 3-9 with a TMR on my K31 to see what it does.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
K31 with Unertl 4X scope pro's- accuracy is excellent, my old eyes had a hard time with the irons. Cons- she is a heavy beast.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had two types of mil-surplus bolt action rifles that were very accurate in past.  One was the K31 (I actually had 2) and Swedish M96 (had couple of these).  Both of these rifles were very well made and capable of good groups with a little work.  My two K31 rifles were 2 MOA rifles with iron sights (never scoped one) and the M96 were about same...but both M96 required handloads for good groups.  I never found any surplus or new factory loads that would give great groups in my M96.  With a good handload both M96 would shoot under 2 MOA with iron sight.
My Remington 700 rifles with iron sight ( 2 BDL and 2 ADL) can shoot just as well or better than these mil-surp rifles...after I get their trigger fixed to be lighter and cleaner.  One of my ADL in .243Win. has consistently given me some of my personal best groups including one 5 shots that measured just under 1 MOA using factory hunting ammo.  Some of the more recently made Rem 700 rifles may not be pretty but they capable of very good accuracy. Once you get the trigger cleaned up and put a scope on it they will almost all shoot 1 MOA...just got to find the ammo it likes.

BTW almost all my bolt action hunting rifles are Remington 700 or uses 700 action.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Remington puts out mediocre and is good at it.  Spending money at Remington to buy a 40xb which is supposed to be accurate gets you a good rifle . But expect over a year for delivery.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
K31 is awesome out of the box.  The Remington 700 suffers from 10/22 syndrome: it's a great gun...  after you throw away all the factory parts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting question and I doubt I could give any worthwhile answer without mounting a scope on my K31. Especially the way my eyes are Nowadays.

I think my 700 would be hard to beat. I have had it for almost 15 years and maybe 1 or 2 other rifles out of more than 60 I have owned even come close, and that was with hand loads.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#16]
at the expense of more pricey ammunition?
View Quote

Why does this myth persist?
GP11 is less expensive than plinking grade .308
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Which one will you see the most of at Palma Matches or Practical Rifle Matches? There's your answer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which one will you see the most of at Palma Matches or Practical Rifle Matches? There's your answer.
View Quote

186-6x,  1K yds  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And how many of those are stock factory rifles?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]
My K31 with St. Maries mount and cheapo Bushnell 3-9x scope has done a 0.43" group of five at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Only downfall on scoping a K31 is the mount. You need tip off rings (unless there is a new mount with picatiny style rail

Most people don't like it because it offsets to the right a bit, but I shoot lefty so it's tits with me
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not a stellar shooter, but in my hands my K31 has done a couple sub moa groups at 100 using a 4x scope. This using hornady custom ammo.
Also, from what I understand, handloaders are having difficulty matching gp11 accuracy. It's just that good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
While a K31 isn't bad for a milsurp heap; there's no way it's out-performing a 700PSS LTR, PSP, etc.
Maybe it could hang with a standard 700 hunting rifle for a bit...but probably not likely.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Vintage straight pull for the win. I once talked to a guy who said he had four K-31s, tested them all from a bench rest at 100 yards, and found no difference in their consistent performance. I think he was trying to decide which ones to sell. I have reloaded for my K31 using new PPU brass. My biggest complaint with the K31 is that I don't like the Mauser-style iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying they couldn't rebarrel, restock etc....a K31 IF they thought it was the best rifle for the job? That's the issue isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While a K31 isn't bad for a milsurp heap; there's no way it's out-performing a 700PSS LTR, PSP, etc.
Maybe it could hang with a standard 700 hunting rifle for a bit...but probably not likely.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd comment, but I have an unhealthy sum of cash dumped into a Rem 700
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remington brags that their rifles are the most accurate mass produced rifles there are, no doubt to justify their $700+ price tag.  Just thinking out loud...if one were to get a K31 and put a scope on it, how would it stack up with the 700?  I'm hearing sub MOA performance with the K31s and all G11 ammo is supposed to be match grade, but at the same time I'm hearing 700s are "fix-it" rifles where you have to pour even more money into replacement stocks to get real sub-MOA accuracy out of it. . Plus, the straight pull can't NOT assist in follow up shots.  K31s are still at quasi-milsupr prices, or at least, still cheper than Remington 700s.

You see where I'm going with this idea- can a scoped K31 give better performance at the expense of more pricey ammunition?
View Quote

I own both and have shot both.  You can buy cheap Remington ADL's at Walmart that will shoot with a K31.  If they are anything like my samples of one, they both have barrel thermal issues that when you shoot them, and the barrel begins to heat up, the groups start shifting.  

The K31 came from a country that takes pride in it's manufacturing and shooting skills, and made one of the best milsurp rifles ever.  Unfortunately the nature of the rifle manufacturers these days....Mossberg, Ruger, Savage, and Remington are all racing to sell a cheaper rifle because people think that the "great deal" they got on the Savage Axis is just as good as a Remington PSS or a Savage LRP.  I wish the shooters in this country would take pride in their purchases.

The K31's have the advantage in that they have been tested in the field and I am sure that if they didn't shoot well, were returned to the armory for repair.  The K31 is a fun rifle that has soul, and I would trust it to defend a 500 yard perimeter, but I am not going to win any precision rifle competitions with it.  The recent Remington SPS Tactical in 223, that I paid $530 after the rebate, shoots better than my K31. If I had to sell one because times got tight it would be a really tough decision to let either one go as both are a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
K31 is fucking awesome

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or internet?

...Not happening anytime soon.

I know they're actively trying to ban 50/338 but, of course, they forget about 375 and 408...

But, banning bolt actions gets the fudds involved and then it's an entirely different battle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ooh. You're going to get loved tenderly for that one.

Just about any  k31 will go shot for shot with any iron sighted 700.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I know they're actively trying to ban 50/338 but, of course, they forget about 375 and 408...

But, banning bolt actions gets the fudds involved and then it's an entirely different battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or internet?

Problem is, the Fudds we have here are idiots.  We have one state senator here that tried to ban all guns that contain more than ONE round.  I even posted the text of the bill online but we had Fudds who wouldn't believe it.  I don't know if they're heads were in the clouds and assumed it's propaganda or they thought there's some magic that exempted them from persecution.  Even now Fudds are still finding out the hard way they now need a permit to buy ammo.

I once snuck into a gun control symposium here in Konnecticut to eavesdrop.  There was one Fudd there who was militantly pro-gun control. and he supported background checks on ammunition, special taxes, having his name put in the paper as a gun owner the same way they do sex offenders, and all that.    I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My old mans K31 shoots better than my Rem 700 or my win m70

Then again, pretty much all rifles are better shooters than the people shooting them.
View Quote
I've never shot (or even held) a K31, but my FN built M70 Sporter with free-float barrel and factory adjustable trigger in .270 seems to shoot well under 1 MOA.  Those old K31s must be pretty darn good if they can hang with that.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
K31 is awesome out of the box.  The Remington 700 suffers from 10/22 syndrome: it's a great gun...  after you throw away all the factory parts.
View Quote

LOL!  It's funny because it is true (at least for modern-day 700s).

I never heard that phrase before, I'll have to remember that one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top