Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 5:54:42 PM EDT
I hate it. I can easily whistle any tune with the right pitch and everything with a quiet whistle, but

how the hell do you do those loud, calling in the hunting dogs, type whistle. My dad could do it loud

enough that you could feel your ears getting ready to pop. How in the world do you do that???
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Practice. Get someone to show you and practice.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You hold the whistle on one side with your thumb and on the other side with your index finger....JEEZ!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You hold the whistle on one side with your thumb and on the other side with your index finger....JEEZ!

He's not talking about the rape whistle you carry around your neck
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You make it sound so damn simple. Ive been here for 3 hours trying to figure it out. God forbid someone walks in, they'll probably think Im on drugs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROTFLMAO!

OK, well I guess I asked for it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can explain it but you can only learn by trial and error--LOTS of it.  Put the tips of your index fingers together to form a "V."  Poke them into the end of your tongue and force it straight back.  You will have to practice a great deal in order to get it just right.  You will find as you change things you will get the start of a whistle.  Keep at it until you can do it loud and clear.  It is MUCH more difficult with your index finger and thumb--you basically have to learn it all over again.  You also will find you lose the ability if you don't keep at it--it's NOT like riding a bicycle.  

If you are an adult you will have funny looks cast your way while you practice, as you are supposed to learn this when you're about 7-8 y/o.  

Next you need to drive everyone nuts learning to use a diaphragm turkey call.  

I did learn how to whistle, just not the loud two fingered whistle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
[Lauren Bacall]Just stick 'em in your mouth...and BLOW[/Lauren Bacall]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I can do it without using my fingers. I make the V shape that TBK1 talked about with the tip of my tongue. It is just as loud, or louder than people using their fingers. Plus I don't have to stick my grubby fingers into my mouth
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, Im gonna be trying to get this all night. Im driving the dogs crazy...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I too can only whistle quietly and am put to shame by the 2 fingered whistlers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I too can only whistle quietly and am put to shame by the 2 fingered whistlers.

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLEEE SHIT  

I almost gave myself a concussion laughing at that!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Put the tips of your index fingers together to form a "V."  Poke them into the end of your tongue and
force it straight back.  ]

I just gaged myself.....

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged for later practice
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got it!

It just isnt too loud now.

My technique is putting bottom lip on the top of bottom teeth, and having the upper lip just covering the front of my upper teeth.

I use my thumb and middle fingerresting sideways on my lips. I pucker up like I am going to whistle regulary and push the tip of my toungue to the bottom of my bottom teeth and push it forward  so the tip of my tounge is angled down somewhat.

Still practicing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
It takes practice. Once I learned I could damn  near shatter glass with mine it was so loud.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I cant do it, is there a training video i can get or something?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
seriously this is really getting on my nerves, i have no idea how do do this, does anyone know if theres a pictorial guide on this or something?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
seriously this is really getting on my nerves, i have no idea how do do this, does anyone know if theres a pictorial guide on this or something?

+1!

This is pissing me off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Ain't no way I'm sticking my fingers in my mouth.  Lord only knows where they've been.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!

This is pissing me off.

Ill help you guys as much as I can.

Where I learned the easiest was laying down on the bed watching Fox news. That way if you get light headed, you are already laying down.

Second, when you are practicing, just practice on getting the noise first, not the volume, or you are going to get really light headed.

As for the technique, I used the tips they gave above, and this site.

bluebones.net/whistle/

It may work for you, the technique didnt work for me but the basic idea did. Dont have your lips open too much, dont have your fingers to far from eachother, and the tounge is important too.

Practice changing all these things around, the shape of your mouth, where your toungue is, and how your lips are and you'll get it after a while.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]
page two
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#27]
You need to use fingers,,,

If I whistle to get a dogs attention, their ears drop down.

Anyone standing next to me complain about their ears hurting.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Put the tips of your index fingers together to form a "V."  Poke them into the end of your tongue and
force it straight back.  ]

I just gaged myself.....

Gaging?  what did it measure?  Least you weren't gagged.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It may work for you, the technique didnt work for me but the basic idea did. Dont have your lips open too much, dont have your fingers to far from eachother, and the tounge is important too.

Practice changing all these things around, the shape of your mouth, where your toungue is, and how your lips are and you'll get it after a while.

Is this a guide to whistling or a guide to being a cunning linguist?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I still can't do normal whistling.  I've had several people try to teach me, and spent lots of time trying on my own, but I can't get it. I can do just enough to imitate the opening song on Ed, Edd, + Eddie. (My son's second-favorite cartoon).
  Same goes for burping on command. Even my son laughs at me because he can do it so well and I can't do it at all. I have to drink a Coke before I can do any burps that would make you proud.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#31]
What's the best cleaner for getting spit off my LCD screen?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I taught myself to whistle with my fingers on a trip from So Cal to Oregon with my Dad when I was 15.  I bet I drove him nuts.  It takes a lot of practice but I make the V with my pinky and index finger, roll my tongue back and blow.  I can pretty much wake the dead.  I can whistle most tunes normally but not very loud.

I read Mrs Truman [Harry S's wife] could whistle through her teeth better than any man.  I wonder what that is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I thnk the curling back of the tongue is the key.

Curl your tongue back so the tip is pointing at the top and back of the roo of your mouth.

Do the aforementioned fingers in a V thing.

Place finger tips in mouth against underside of tongue....the part that is now oriented towards the back of your front teeth.

Proceed from there.

I can whistle so loud this way that makes my ears ring for a day
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#36]
More things to *ahem* do with your mouth

(the elephant sounds come in handy... won't say under what circumstances, wouldn't be prudent)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top