Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 3:56:00 PM EST
I recently got an ESEE Izula and was too cheap to get the elaborate kit that is available. I think it has a cord with some break free attachments along with all the other stuff I saw no current need for. Obviously a loop of para cord is probably fine, but I'd really rather not hang myself if I catch it on something. I know I'm being paranoid, but I haven't worn necklaces in years so it feels like I am dropping a noose around my neck.

What do you do? Break free links on strong cord? Weaker cordage and hope the knife doesn't pop it with it's weight? Dog tag chain? Russian Roulette with auto-erotic asphyxiation?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:58:22 PM EST
Do you want to use it as a neck knife, or just don't have the means to attach to a belt?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:01:52 PM EST
Melt the ends of the 550 cord together. It provides a break away so you don't hang yourself. Then again, I've been carrying a La Griffe for years with just a piece of noted 550 cord for multiple deployments with no ill effect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:09:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By GhostRing:
Do you want to use it as a neck knife, or just don't have the means to attach to a belt?

I want to wear it as a neck knife, and I've worn it the last couple of days on a loop of gutted paracord. Just was curious if anyone had better ideas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:11:35 PM EST
My Pat Crawford Legionnaire hangs from a GI dog tag chain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:13:06 PM EST
If you use para cord and don't want to hang yourself, just use the knife to cut the cord if it catches.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:14:55 PM EST
a neck knife rig needs to be long enough to tuck into your pants
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:14:57 PM EST
Just stab it into your thigh and walk around all bad ass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:15:24 PM EST
Worn my neck knife using a paracord loop for more years than I can remember. Never had a single problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:23:23 PM EST
When I wear one, I use a dog tag chain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:24:03 PM EST
in my pocket
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:27:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By mkgunz:
Melt the ends of the 550 cord together. It provides a break away so you don't hang yourself. Then again, I've been carrying a La Griffe for years with just a piece of noted 550 cord for multiple deployments with no ill effect.

Originally Posted By ScrubJ:
Worn my neck knife using a paracord loop for more years than I can remember. Never had a single problem.

Probably just stick to my paracord also. Odds of me snagging it on something are low enough that I'll take it as an act to God if I do manage to kill myself with a necklace. I'm more likely to slip while using the knife and bleeding out.

Originally Posted By kylerudibaugh:

That's what I did with my last knife, blood kept making it rusty though

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:30:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:32:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By kylerudibaugh:

Thats Tier 1. But you fuck up your cool pants. God I hate that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:44:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By SurvivingAZ:
Another thought...

While it doesn't really qualify as a neck knife, that Merc Harness setup is about as simple and effective as anything you'll ever see. I made a couple of those for myself when George (Mercop) showed how to do it on Bladeforums. It was years later that he got Columbia River Knives to begin marketing it with some of their knives. For my neckers though, I use a split paracord or a simple ball chain that I could split apart pretty easily, if need be.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:48:24 PM EST

I've been intending to get one of those, but need to look into the blade designs. The claw looks like it would catch or hang up in use as compared to the drop point design. Any idea what the consensus of opinion is on this? Also, carrying it in a pocket seems what I would prefer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:50:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By BatcaveSouth:

I've been intending to get one of those, but need to look into the blade designs. The claw looks like it would catch or hang up in use as compared to the drop point design. Any idea what the consensus of opinion is on this? Also, carrying it in a pocket seems what I would prefer.

Would that not then be a pocket knife?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:59:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Illini75:
Originally Posted By BatcaveSouth:

Would that not then be a pocket knife?

It would still be a La Griffe though.
Top Top