Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:03:59 AM EDT
I just built a home with 400 feet of driveway that I will need to plow this winter. I bought an F150 with a plow attachment but I have no idea the best way to do it. I know there must be some sort of protocol to follow, but when I look for instructions on the internet all I get are city ordinances. It can't be as simple as push the snow off the driveway, can it? Is there anything to watch out for? any tips from those who plow their own driveways would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I will be doing it right. Thx.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:06:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 10:06:55 AM EDT by Merrell]
Plow towards the street*

*not towards the garage.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:03 AM EDT
I don't know about using a truck, I just use a bobcat and stack in all in a pile, then in the spring I go back and recover whatever I stone I also picked up.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:38 AM EDT
Know where the edge of you driveway and end of your blade are. Also make sure any other obstructions are marked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:22:26 AM EDT
Devise a pattern before the snow ever falls. Decide beforehand where you want to pile the snow. Make sure you note any obstacles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:24:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Know where the edge of you driveway and end of your blade are. Also make sure any other obstructions are marked.

Mark with yellow painted ABS (plumbing pipe) poles, trim one edge to a sharp point, and hammer into ground before the first freeze.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:31:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT by CZ75_9MM]
This would work, maybe a little too well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:56 AM EDT
Ok. I will go get markers for the edge of my driveway. My driveway slopes down hill, so I guess the easiest way is to plow down.

I have a gravel/stone driveway, so I guess I will be tearing up the gravel which is what I want to try to avoid. What am I supposed to do, lower the plow all the way to the ground and then raise it back up a little?

I will start to try to figure out where the snow will get piled.

I want to have this sorted out before the snow falls, so thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:38:08 AM EDT
I always plowed with the length of the driveway, and then angle it off at some point.

Now I sell Bobcat skidloaders, so no need for a plow!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
Gravel huh?

I remember when I used to have a long gravel driveway that went up a hill to the garage. It wasn't fun to plow. The best thing I ever did was pave it.

Make sure you have a lot of salt and sand on hand because gravel driveways get icy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:40:15 AM EDT
Call Mr. Plow, that's his name! That name again is Mr. Plow!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:49:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT by magnum_99]
My driveway is about that long, and gravel.

I use a tractor mounted snow-thrower.

Plowing it might be a little faster (at first), but in no time I would have one long tunnel, and no place to put all of the snow. A plow would fuck up my driveway quick with the gravel.

Maybe you can sell the plowing rig and a get a thrower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:51:19 AM EDT
the thrower would get ruined by the stones mangling the impeller.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:54:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:58:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
It's easy--just raise your blade and drive up to the garage door. Drop blade. Back up farther than the length of truck/plow. Back out of driveway and turn around--back up to garage door. Assuming the drive is wide, make a pass to the end with the blade straight. Then back in and angle it hard left/right and make the last passes to clear to the edge. If it's narrow, then angle it immediately and make the two passes needed to clear it, dribbling snow off of each side. In some places it's illegal to push it across the road. If so, you mound it up at the end of the drive, leaving the apron wide enough for easy access and good visibility. As you push the piles up, raise your blade, which piles it higher. Be careful not to lurch over the pile and "high center" your truck--it takes a while to dig it out so your wheels can gain a grip--while your neighbors point and laugh.

Thanks Beekeeper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:00:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:
Plow towards the street*
*not towards the garage.

If you do this, make sure there are no local laws about plowing your stuff into the street and clogging the lanes with your snow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:02:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Plow towards the street*
*not towards the garage.

If you do this, make sure there are no local laws about plowing your stuff into the street and clogging the lanes with your snow.

Fuck 'em, they block your driveway when they plow the streets so now's your chance to get even with the bastards!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:02:49 AM EDT
Here is the only thing that will work if you get a lot of snow or a few smaller storms in a row:

1: plow half of your driveway to one side, the other half to the other side, working out from the center. you will probably be able to make two-three passes each way before the snow is piled up high enough to keep you from maintaining traction/steerage. Hopefully by now you've plowed at least half a blade width beyond the edge of your driveway.

2: the crucial part - push the snow berm out from the edge of the driveway another 10-12 feet by plowing perpendicular to the line of your driveway up and down the entire length of your driveway. This is time consuming, but becomes very necessary later on.
This is important because it accomplishes two things - first, it provides you room to put any future snow that falls, important because the snow berm that you made from pushing out the first snow fall will freeze solid after a short while and it will be impossible for you to move later on, and second, it decreases the likelihood of snow drifts forming in the 'tunnel' of your driveway.

Plowing a couple times during the middle of a storm is MUCH easier than waiting til after 8-12" of heavy, wet snow has fallen...

If your driveway is narrow and above the level of the ground beside it by very much, I don't know what to tell you other than get a snow blower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:08:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Plow towards the street*
*not towards the garage.

Fuck 'em, they block your driveway when they plow the streets so now's your chance to get even with the bastards!

Theres no way for them to plow WITHOUT blocking your driveway. There ARE laws that say YOU cannot plow into the street.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 11:13:27 AM EDT by BlammO]
WTF??? Didn't they teach you this in Stormtrooper school?

ETA: As a recent transplant from Texas to Connecticut, I find this thread fascinating!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:15:25 AM EDT
plow a wide path to start. Backblade near the garage dorr if ya need to. Get a bigger truck to plow with if you get 3-4 ' of snow or more in your area. Have a plan to dump snow and push it way back as said. Try driving your truck w/ plow attached now to see where you can and cannot get into with the truck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:16:23 AM EDT
Ask SigSauer228 - he has a lot of recent experience plowing things. Like ARFCOMMER's daughters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:17:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:17:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:27:06 AM EDT
You have a girlfriend named Driveway?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:31:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 11:35:05 AM EDT by magnum_99]

Originally Posted By Stormtrooper:

No it won't. I've been using mine for two years now, no damage whatsoever.

It's a matter of set-up. Just don't run it against the ground.

AGAIN, FUCK using a plow. They suck.

They pile snow up forever, and leave you with tunnels.

Use a thrower, you will be happier.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:33:35 AM EDT

www.madozzyzone.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mr%20plow.JPG

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:37:53 AM EDT
Start the truck at the top facing downward.
Plow towards the bottom.
Before you get near the end, turn to the right (or left) and plow onto lawn. Go about 10 feet deep.
Go back up the driveway.
Continue plowing snow and create a huge pile at the bottom right (or left).
After you are done, go on the road facing the top, plow the remaining snow at the bottom of the driveway towards the pile. This is dangerous as you may get T-boned.

Every time you plow, replow the same path. Depending on how bad the winter is, you may end up with a mini snow mountain. Don't plow the pile too close to the bottom of the driveway or else you may not be able to see traffic over the snow pile.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:41:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By magnum_99:

Originally Posted By Stormtrooper:

No it won't. I've been using mine for two years now, no damage whatsoever.

It's a matter of set-up. Just don't run it against the ground.

AGAIN, FUCK using a plow. They suck.

They pile snow up forever, and leave you with tunnels.

Use a thrower, you will be happier.

+1

don't clear down to the gravel, keep a thin layer of snow on top. a snow blower or tractor with a bucket and blade are the easiest ways i've found.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:51:59 AM EDT

I dont plow mine. Thats why I have 4WD.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:53:57 AM EDT

www.madozzyzone.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mr%20plow.JPG

ROFL

What I was thinking!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:30:03 PM EDT
Just get a 30" walk-behind snowthrower, and set the skids up as high as it will go, to keep it out of the rock.

Or even make some custom extra-high skids to clear the gravel. A snowthrower makes 'snowpile management' a lot easier.

Oh, and keep the discharge chute pointed in a safe direction -- 'blowers can really chuck those rocks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 1:35:29 PM EDT by twonami]

Originally Posted By Crowcreek:
Just get a 30" walk-behind snowthrower

for 400'!!!.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 1:45:23 PM EDT by Striker]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:53:57 PM EDT
plow? snow? what are these things you speak of? never seen them before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:19:40 PM EDT
I still plow the driveway with a International Cub Cadet that my Grandad bought new in 1967. I would rather spend two hours freezing my nuts off with the tractor, than paying someone to plow it with a truck. I would also rather plow, than using the snowblower.

With the tractor I can put snow wherever I want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 4:01:08 PM EDT by magnum_99]
I too can put the snow anywhere I want with the thrower, included about 30 feet away in if I want.

I am not limited to just pushing the snow around until it won't move anymore and now I have a big berm and tunnels.

I get about 100" of snow per year--which stays until late March--, and the ability to put it far away from the driveway is important to me. I can also use it on the lawn to keep runs open to the storage shed and barn--can't do that with a pickup and plow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:49:46 PM EDT
I am not going to be able to use a snowthrower because I have 2 acres of land, a 400 foot driveway, and a huge parking area. I will try to post a pic so you can see what I have to deal with.
Top Top