Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2002 7:13:28 PM EDT
While reading you guys' latest rants I hear something like hammering coming from the kitchen.  Walk in and there's Miz Arock pounding on a freezerbag full of something.  Ask what she's doing and she says she's grinding coffee.  What the H#ll?  She bought a BIG bag of coffee at the store, got home and it's whole beans.  We had a small coffee grinder in the days before the Mutant Offspring came along.  I's sure they used it to make mud pies or such... anyway we can't find it.  The Miz had every imaginable kitchen device spread over the counters and nothing was making it coffee fine enough.  When I asked if she tried a cheese grater I was asked to leave.  Got any ideas on what to use to grind coffee for in the morning??  You guys got answers for everything else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any reason why your belnder wouldn't work - but I'd prefer to either use an actual grinder or to buy an extra pitcher for your blender after you use the one you have for coffee (it will probably make everything else taste like coffee...)

Mechanically, there isn't much difference between a coffee grinder and a blender.

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I grind my own coffee every morning. I have one of those electric coffee grinders. They are pretty cheap. Make a trip to Walmart and pick one up. You won't be sorry[;)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the electric grinder is a great little appliance.  If I were you, and you were considering the purchase, I'd buy a cheap little brush to go along with it for cleaning out the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't see any reason why your belnder wouldn't work - but I'd prefer to either use an actual grinder or to buy an extra pitcher for your blender after you use the one you have for coffee (it will probably make everything else taste like coffee...)

Mechanically, there isn't much difference between a coffee grinder and a blender.

FFZ
View Quote

FFZ the Oster blender worked like a CHAMP!  The Miz thinks we're all crazy smart anyway.

Thanks guys.

Arock
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You should get a grinder, but the blender works okay.  I personally prefer coffee that you grind yourself.  The taste and the smell are much better than preground coffee.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
i use a coffee ginder but once while i was camping with some friends he used the butt of a UNLOADED pistol not very smart but hey it worked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Krups automatic coffee grinder.

I would never go back to pre-ground coffee!

Except at the Hun Farm.

Eric The(CoffeeIsMyMiddleName)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]

I use an antique hand coffee grinder every morning... one much like the one in the picture for sale on ebay..

[img]http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_b54b85002fde852b66e61946a66d909c/i-1_B.JPG[/img]

Nothing like fresh ground coffee every morning.. [:)]

I have about 8 different styles of hand grinders.. all antique...  and several electric ones.. also from the 30's thur 50's Hand grinders will come in handy someday when the SHTF !! [;)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about grinding the beans, but feed the beans to your cat and wait for them to pop out its ass.  Its the new trend in coffee I saw on tv this morning!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Use my teeth and chase it down with some warm beer unlike some of the other wussies on the board![:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use a Krups automatic coffee grinder.

I would never go back to pre-ground coffee!

Except at the Hun Farm.

Eric The(CoffeeIsMyMiddleName)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

DITTO

but the Braun Disc Grinder is the ONLY way to go.

It doesn't overheat the beans while grinding, to distroy the taste.

The Braun is the, er, $#!T. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a built in counter top grinder made by Nutone. It gets a work out each and every morning.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
A piece of cheesecloth and a hammer works well.  Why do so many people feel they need a different appliance for every purpose?z
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A piece of cheesecloth and a hammer works well.  Why do so many people feel they need a different appliance for every purpose?z
View Quote

That's just what Miz Arock was doing when I looked in.  Unique approach. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I use this one.

[img]images.macys.com/products/7/14177.fpx?wid=339&ftr=10.0&qlt=80&cvt=jpeg[/img]

[url]www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=7110[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use this one.

[url]images.macys.com/products/7/14177.fpx?wid=339&ftr=10.0&qlt=80&cvt=jpeg[/url]

[url]www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=7110[/url]
View Quote

Yep, me too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
It's 0530 and time to try the smashed and hashed beans.  This could be interesting.

*Edited to say, in Texas vernacular... "That'll drink!"  Not bad considering the way Miz Arock was tormenting the beans before we stepped in.  Actually pretty good coffee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's 0530 and time to try the smashed and hashed beans.  This could be interesting.

*Edited to say, in Texas vernacular... "That'll drink!"  Not bad considering the way Miz Arock was tormenting the beans before we stepped in.  Actually pretty good coffee.
View Quote

Did you try the cat-ass thing like I mentioned?  They said it gave a completely different aroma to the coffee! [puke]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#19]
If you have a choice get a Burr grinder instead of a bladed grinder. The difference is that a burr grinder has two gears that are spaced apart. It crushes the bean to give a uniform size while the blade grinders do not. It is also a very low temperature prosses and helps extract additional oils from the beans. They cost a little more but are well worth the slightly higher cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top