Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 8:53:19 PM EDT
I maybe went to church 5 times as a youth, with my parents, maybe twice when I was in the military, during basic. Now I find myself trying to meet people in a new area, I mite try the jim or some thing, but I don't do the bar thing, I want to know how I go about going to a church and meeting women. Can I just walk in? Do I have to know some one, or like get invited or something? I guess I'm a christian, but not "religuis". I don't care what denomination, nothing to freaky tho please.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
"How do you go chuch?"

You're Jimmy Hoffa..... you go nowhere!

"Where you going? You're going NOWHERE!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"How do you go chuch?"

You're Jimmy Hoffa..... you go nowhere!

"Where you going? You're going NOWHERE!"

I'm up here flying around in New Jewrusalim with Elvis & JFK!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Most Churches will accept visitors without any notice, LDS, Lutheran, and Catholic churches leap to mind, just walk in, find a seat, and be respectful
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe other than just women you might post what you're looking for in a church.  There are some denominations that are more conservative than others.  It would be helpful to help guide you towards the right fit with more information.

If you're just looking for a woman - the LDS have probably the best singles program out there - but I think they require you to be a member before joining.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most Churches will accept visitors without any notice, LDSseems a little to "involved" for me?, Lutheran?, and Catholic My dad was a Catholic, seems like way to much effert, to much stuff to know, to many "rituals", hard for me to "blend in"churches leap to mind, just walk in, find a seat, and be respectful

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most Churches will accept visitors without any notice, LDSseems a little to "involved" for me?, Lutheran?, and Catholic My dad was a Catholic, seems like way to much effert, to much stuff to know, to many "rituals", hard for me to "blend in"churches leap to mind, just walk in, find a seat, and be respectful

Well, I am not really overly familiar with other churches for just walking in, I am LDS, was raised Lutheran, and dated a *few* catholics.......    All I can say is that if you walked into any of them you would be welcome.

truthfully for the most part any church if they truly are Christian will accept you in as a visitor without any concern.

Good luck and have fun
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe other than just women you might post what you're looking for in a church.  There are some denominations that are more conservative than others.  It would be helpful to help guide you towards the right fit with more information.

If you're just looking for a woman - the LDS have probably the best singles program out there - but I think they require you to be a member before joining.

Patty

I just don't want the thing where every one is speaking toungues and such, kinda freaks me out. Something "simple". Isn't LDS something where you have be kinda "involved" in it? I've known a lot of LDS, seemed like a lot of effert to be a member.

Is going to church like an AA meeting, where they say something like "I see a new face here tonight, please tell us your name"? I try not to draw any unneccasery attention to myself. I just don't know the rituals and what not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is going to church like an AA meeting, where they say something like "I see a new face here tonight, please tell us your name"? I try not to draw any unneccasery attention to myself. I just don't know the rituals and what not.

Preacher: "I sense a great disturbance in the force. There is a heathen among us! Show your face and repent!"

lol... i usually end up goign to a catholic church with my grandparents when im home on leave. It's extremely easy to sneak into a pew and blend in. Even if you stick out liek a sore thumb (dress AF blues mixed in with a bunch of farmers), i've never been called out or addressed. Other than the "Thanks for serving" from most.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
LDS I think can be pretty involved.  I'm Catholic and always have been.  I've gone to a few other Christian churches with friends but nothing serious.  THey have a brand X church here in town that's United Church of Christ - its pretty conservative [no pew hopping].

Best of luck to you!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LDS I think can be pretty involved.  I'm Catholic and always have been.  I've gone to a few other Christian churches with friends but nothing serious.  THey have a brand X church here in town that's United Church of Christ - its pretty conservative [no pew hopping].

Best of luck to you!  Patty

Pew hopping?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Church to meet wemon?  That would make me a hypocrite so I don't not to mention I would feel out of place as an athiest and someone who does not find comfort in herd mentality.  Mormons probably have the best program as singles go they do not seperate by gender at least the classes I went to years ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It depends on the church.

In some they ask visitors to raise their hand or stand up to be recognized in order to specifically welcome them.

In the church I attend they don't do anything to single you out.  The pastor gives a general welcome from the pulpit to visitors, and there is a visitor's card in the bulletin that you can fill out to request information or have someone from the church contact you, if you wish.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What be the point of going to a church to meet a woman, if you don't have the same root values. Unless you are going to use the chance to explore your faith, you are only waisting your time.

Try online dating, it will be a lot less work for you.

J_H,

If your sole purpose for going to church is to meet women....then you should probably reevaluate your own Christian beliefs and morals.....

If you want to go to church to worship God and have fellowship with other Christians.....and by chance you end up meeting a nice woman, then all is well with the world.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I drive there in my car.  On Sundays.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I drive there in my car.  On Sundays.

Me too, my horse and buggy broke down.  

Why would you go to church for the sole purpose of meeting women?

"Nothing freaky please":  Well, if I handled rattlesnakes every Sunday then I wouldn't think it was very freaky.  

Going to Church is a way to worship God, not a way to pick up women.    

I'm going to respectfully say that I think you're barking up the wrong pew.  It doesn't seem like you want to put any effort in the actual worshiping of God, so any women you would meet would probably think you are very insincere.  They are there to worship, and they are going to assume that you are too.  They'll probably also assume that you share the same beliefs as them.  If you are not and you do not, that could realy put them off.  JMHO

So FIRST we need to put you on the path to sincerity by figuring out what you believe, then determine what type of church you should be attending.  This is going to sound corny...but there is a tool that will ask you a bunch of questions about what you believe and tell you the religions that most match your beliefs.  It's called...dun..dun...dun:

THE BELIEF-O-MATIC!

It assumes that you already have some exposure to religion (for example: you can't believe or disbelieve in the Trinity if you've never heard of it.)  For this reason, I think it's a bit flawed at choosing the religion that is right for you, (just because you haven't heard of something yet doesn't mean it won't ring true to you when you do hear of it) BUT it will give you an idea of the core beliefs of most major religions and will give you a starting ground.  Then you can visit those churches and see if they really are a good fit for you.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Jimmy_Hoffa,

You seem to be a little concerned about religious institutions that try to get people involved.  Ironically, that is usually a definitive part of why the institution exists in the first place.  Most people go to a given church because they want to be involved.

Yes, the LDS Church has a good singles program.  In fact, my dad was the Bishop of a singles congregation in California for over 5 years.  He was just released from that calling about three weeks ago.  No, you wouldn't need to be LDS to participate.  Yes, membership would most likely be a factor on a personal level for the LDS women.

Personally, I recommend going to church for a desire to learn about the Lord.  It serves a social purpose too, but you could find yourself in a sticky situation if that's your only reason for attending.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What be the point of going to a church to meet a woman, if you don't have the same root values. Unless you are going to use the chance to explore your faith, you are only waisting your time.

I did! All fat chicks with kids. I actually like fat chicks, I just don't think kids would work with my high speed/low drag life style.

I'm commited that I will go to a church next sunday, not this sunday cause it's opening of dear seasin. I'll let you guys know if I have any success.

I'm trying to change my life, I need to change. I just don't want to go be publicly castigated by a bunch of "church ladys".
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did! All fat chicks with kids. I actually like fat chicks, I just don't think kids would work with my high speed/low drag life style.

I'm commited that I will go to a church next sunday, not this sunday cause it's opening of dear seasin. I'll let you guys know if I have any success.

I'm trying to change my life, I need to change. I just don't want to go be publicly castigated by a bunch of "church ladys".

You can "drop in" on just about any church and they won't draw down on you.
You would do alot better though, if you would take a minute and call the church ahead of time.
Then you wouldn't be meeting them cold and they could help find a place in the church for you.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Every independent baptist pastor I've met is a deer hunter.  One of them in my town has a ten point buck on his wall.  Maybe you should start with independent baptist??

I would either just visit a church on Sunday morning service or call and meet the pastor.  Its done both ways at my church.

Shok
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Be preparted to be spoken to.

Be prepared to be invited to someone's home for dinner.

It is just the way of things.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you have a lot more to worry about then picking up women at church.

What do you meen? I don't get it. What should I worry about?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I go to church by getting in my car and driving about 5-minutes down the street.  That's how I go.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top