Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/31/2003 6:03:50 AM EDT
Sorry if this seems like a silly question. I was raised Catholic......alter boy.....parents made me goto church and so on. Stopped going to church when I was 18.

Now 20 years later I have a family, good job and most of the toys I want but I'm still missing something. I try to live my life according to the ten commandments but I never felt a one on one connection to Jesus that some of you guys have.....

Whenever something bad happens....... I just suck it up. Never been able to talk to the "man" about it. How do you find that inner peace??

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:08:29 AM EDT
Phone book ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:14:48 AM EDT
Heck if I know.  Believing something because you feel it has always eluded me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:15:14 AM EDT
In jail.  Always seems people are finding God in jail.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:25:03 AM EDT
 Hmm...it's a valid question.  I've studied quite a bit of philosophy ( mostly Aristotlian through Objectivisism ).  On almost the opposite end of the spectrum I am also a folk lore nut and a bit of a history buff.  I have also had a great interest in all things Biblical (even when I was an atheist) and have spent a lot of time studying the Bible and the history thereof...combined with a good dose of the school of hard knocks and a bit of technical learning at college and a desire for wisdom, knowledge and understanding in general I seem to be ageing rather well.

My advice to you is NOT to TRY so hard at searching for peace as trying to look at the universe from an honest perspective.  Objective thought comes in very handy for this as it removes mysticism from the equation and forces you to examine whatever you study in a rational, scientific light.   In fact it may seem odd that coming from a fairly Objectivist point of view that I have interests in religions and folk lore but the point of those areas of study is the examination of general human behavior at the root level of beliefs and culturization.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:25:46 AM EDT
Didn't know he was lost, or that I was supposed to be looking for him....., [;)]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:27:59 AM EDT
Not a silly question at all.

Following the Ten Commandments is a noble pursuit, but it won't save you.

Many people find that when the steps to salvation are explained to them, they say, "That's too easy.  It can't be as easy as that."

But it is not complicated.

Salvation is about a relationship. That relationship is with Jesus Christ.

Follow these steps:

1.  Admit to God that you are a sinner.  We all are.  All have sinned.

[b]Romans 3:23   For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;[/b]

2.  Offer no excuses.  Just say, "Lord, I know that I am a sinner and deserve death.  Please forgive me and save me."

[b]Romans 3:10   As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one[/b]

3.  Acknowledge Jesus as the only way of salvation.

[b]1 John 5:11   And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12   He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
[/b]

4.  Ask Jesus to come into your heart and save you.

[b]Revelation 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.[/b]

5.  Go forward, obeying God's commandments as best as you can, knowing full well that you will fail from time to time.

Some people, like my Brother Eric the Hun, will tell you that baptism is required.  I do not believe it is required for salvation, but it is certainly commanded by God and I would encourage you to be baptized by immersion immediately or ASAP.

I would encourage you to go to a Bible believing church where you can hear good teaching about your faith.

But most importantly, remember that we are saved by what Jesus has done.  He promises to come into our hearts and save us.  If He promises something, He will do it.  You can count on Him.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:34:41 AM EDT
Others have faced this same problem.

THE ATHANASIAN CREED

This creed is named after St. Athanasius, a staunch defender of the Christian faith in the fourth century. It was prepared to assist the Church in combating two errors that undermined Bible teaching. One error denied that God's Son and the Holy Spirit are of one being or Godhead with the Father. The other error denied that Jesus Christ is true God and true man In one person. The Athanasian Creed continues to serve the Christian Church as a standard of the truth. It declares that whoever rejects the doctrine of the Trinity and the doctrine of Christ is without the saving faith.

Whoever wishes to be saved must, above all else, hold to the true Christian faith.

Whoever does not keep this faith pure in all points will certainly perish forever.

Now this is the true Christian faith:

We worship one God in three persons and three persons in one God,

without mixing the persons or dividing the divine being.

For each person -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit -- is distinct,

but the deity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is one,

equal in glory and coeternal in majesty.

What the Father is, so is the Son, and so is the Holy Spirit.

The Father is uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Spirit uncreated;

the Father is infinite, the Son infinite, the Holy Spirit infinite;

the Father is eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Spirit eternal;

yet they are not three who are eternal, but there is one who is eternal,

just as they are not three who are uncreated, nor three who are infinite,

but there is one who is uncreated and one who is infinite.

In the same way the Father is almighty, the Son is almighty, and the Holy Spirit is almighty;

yet they are not three who are almighty, but there is one who is almighty.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God;

yet they are not three Gods, but one God.

So the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord, the Holy Spirit is Lord;

yet they are not three Lords, but one Lord.

For just as Christian truth compels us to confess each person individually to be God and Lord,

so the true Christian faith forbids us to speak of three Gods or three Lords.

The Father is neither made nor created nor begotten of anyone.

The Son is neither made nor created, but is begotten of the Father alone.

The Holy Spirit is neither made nor created nor begotten,

but proceeds from the Father and the Son.

So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.

And within this Trinity none comes before or after; none is greater or inferior,

but all three persons are coequal and coeternal,

so that in every way, as stated before, all three persons are to be worshiped as one God

and one God worshiped as three persons.

Whoever wishes to be saved must have this conviction of the Trinity.

It is furthermore necessary for eternal salvation truly to believe

that our Lord Jesus Christ also took on human flesh.

Now this is the true Christian faith:

We believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, God's Son, is both God and man.

He is God, eternally begotten from the nature of the Father, and he is man, born in time from the nature of his mother, fully God, fully man, with rational soul and human flesh,

equal to the Father as to his deity, less than the Father as to his humanity;

and though he is both God and Man, Christ is not two persons but one,

one, not by changing the deity into flesh, but by taking the humanity into God;

one, indeed, not by mixture of the natures, but by unity in one person;

for just as the rational soul and flesh are one human being,
so God and man are one Christ.

He suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose the third day from the dead.

He ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty, and from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

At his coming all people will rise with their own bodies to answer for their personal deeds.

Those who have done good will enter eternal life,

but those who have done evil will go into eternal fire.

This is the true Christian faith.

Whoever does not faithfully and firmly believe this cannot be saved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:36:53 AM EDT
To find GOD.

Sit quietly.
Clear your mind, and calm your mind.

Understand that you are suffering a common malady that comes to all.  What more is there?  Why do these things happen?
Could they be prevented or changed?
Was there a reason for this?

These are the questions that do not have answers.  They never will.

Your problem is that you do not believe in yourself, or accept your situation.  You are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  You cannot live like that, it keeps you wondering, doubting everything.

The source is the external bullshit that trys to rob you of your peace of mind.  Accept your good situation and enjoy it.  Deal with it one day at a time and just enjoy it.

Life is not always a struggle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:45:51 AM EDT
Read His autobiography.

King James Version, or some reasonable proximity thereof.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:49:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By smoken44:
How do you find that inner peace??

View Quote

In a sense, that's a different, more profound  question than your thread title.

A LACK of inner peace is caused by a God-shaped void in your life. Its caused by being at odds with God. We have an inherent sin nature that separates us from God.

Only when that problem is resolved will peace come. Re-read O_P's reply. He says it QUITE well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:04:07 AM EDT
Call to him....Search for him!

Follow Pa Danby's lead.

God is where you are! Speak to him.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:11:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman:
Read His autobiography.

King James Version, or some reasonable proximity thereof.

View Quote

This is a very good start. You must open your heart and mind when you do though, or, you will be no different than some scholars.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:13:24 AM EDT
First get a cheap bottle of Thunderbird wine, then find a whining wino that has lord like properties.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:34:51 AM EDT
Well I was at the local shelter one night and I heard a sound far off. It called to me. It sounded like a Lab but ended up being a Pit. Oh you said God, I thought you said Dog. Silly Dyslexia.

You know, some of us don't need to believe in any God, gods or goddesses. Just so you know.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:35:56 AM EDT
I just look for my wife.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 7:42:10 AM EDT by bvmjethead]
He's everywhere. I talk to Him like He's my friend, cuz He is my friend.

Just talk to Him, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Don't be surprised when you get an answer.

Edited to say I keep it real with God when I talk to Him. The thee and thou crap is for the 15 century, He knows EVERYTHING about me anyway, I might as well be honest with Him.

Now and then I even pray for my dinner like this. "Over the teeth and through the gums, look out stomach here it comes, yay God!" My mom hates it but kids love it. Teaches them that God has a sense of humor.

Think God doesn't have a sense of humor? Look at the relationship between husbands and wives......

God is cool and I thank Him for His son Jesus, every day.

I'm glad He puts up with me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:06:20 AM EDT
Look and listen. He is everywhere, in everything.

Pray.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:17:36 AM EDT
He kept smacking me around until I started to pay attention...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:24:41 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replys guys. [wave]

I think part of my problem is I feel I have to be in control of my life. Its almost funny as I think about it now........you are never realy in control. It would be nice to share some of the burdens of life with him. It gets dam heavy sometimes. [;)]

You gave me something to think about.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:31:51 AM EDT

I think part of my problem is I feel I have to be in control of my life. Its almost funny as I think about it now........you are never realy in control. It would be nice to share some of the burdens of life with him. It gets dam heavy sometimes. [;)]

View Quote

I posted about this very issue yesterday.  Those of us that are self-sufficient and who like to be "in control" find it very hard to admit that there are things we cannot control.

Jesus invites you to give Him your burdens.

[b]1 Peter 5:7   Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.[/b]

He cares for you and me.  He is waiting for you to only ask.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:36:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

View Quote

I posted about this very issue yesterday.  Those of us that are self-sufficient and who like to be "in control" find it very hard to admit that there are things we cannot control.

Jesus invites you to give Him your burdens.

[b]1 Peter 5:7   Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.[/b]

He cares for you and me.  He is waiting for you to only ask.

View Quote
Where's the link to that thread?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:37:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
In jail.  Always seems people are finding God in jail.
View Quote

Yep. I agree. Go to jail, find god.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:41:51 AM EDT
I wish I knew.  The last two years have been hell.  If God is in control of this, how much crap is one human being supposed to take?  How much weird shit can bite me on the ass?  It is, like Ecclesiastes, all just chasing the wind..  Ops
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 8:48:12 AM EDT by Old_Painless]
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Where's the link to that thread?
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=220863&page=1[/url]

It was discussed on page 4.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:48:15 AM EDT
I didn't... He found me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:59:08 AM EDT
THe reason people do not believe is because people don't want to believe, money is real, cars are real, guns are real, santa clause is not real, so how do you know God is real. you can't see him does not mean he is not there, trust me he is there, Jesus said whoever believe's in him will have everlasting life he is the resurection. Jesus died for our sins.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:17:31 AM EDT
[url]http://www.google.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 12:56:27 PM EDT by Tate]
Not a silly question.

I would argue that it is *the best* of questions.

One whose answer will change your life profoundly for the better.

Good answers in this thread, imho.

Best of luck!  (I know "best of luck!" sounds goofy, but I do mean it.)
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:14:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LocknLoaded:
THe reason people do not believe is because people don't want to believe.
View Quote

Not really.  I would love to believe.  But I just can't.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 12:21:48 PM EDT by bvmjethead]
Originally Posted By Ops:
I wish I knew.  The last two years have been hell.  If God is in control of this, how much crap is one human being supposed to take?  How much weird shit can bite me on the ass?  It is, like Ecclesiastes, all just chasing the wind..  Ops
View Quote

If it's a mess God is not in control.

Maybe it's this.......

Originally posted by Da_Bunny:
He kept smacking me around until I started to pay attention...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:34:33 PM EDT
Hardly.  I was a chruch-going hard core Christian before the shit started.  Now I don't know waht to believe. Ops
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:53:37 PM EDT
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:7-12

- LS

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:02:51 PM EDT
What makes you think that God has not already found you, decided you were lacking and left you to rot.  Maybe you should try Bhudda or a nice Wiccan.  I heard the worshippers of Zeus need a few good men as well.

Don't just try the same old tired ass God, there are lots of choices for religon. Some Hedonist cults have orgies of drinking and sex,,,beats the hell out of Ramadan.
Top Top