Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:58:31 PM EDT
Say you're driving along as fast as you can go. No space to go forward, no way to change lanes.

Then some dumbass decides to ride your bumper so close you can't even see their headlights.

What's you're strategy to deal with it?

- The brake check
- The single finger salute
- Repeated windshield washing
- Do nothing

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Used "D" cell batteries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Motor oil.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Slam on the brakes! " You mean you didnt see that deer run out infront of me?" You must be blind.

j/k What I do is Just go the speed limit. I get really ticked off at tailgaters when my 5 month old is in the car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Edited because I jumped the gun.

It happens when at work the computer.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It isn't tailgating it is drafting to save fuel!

If you don't like people drafting then stay in the slow lane which is to the right!------------>

BigDozer66

If I send you a quarter, will you take a remedial reading comprehension course?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It rarely happens when I'm driving my Ram Hemi with 20's on it. For some reason people stay back from me. On the other hand when I'm driving my Saab it's like a tailgater magnet! I could be in the right lane going 10 miles above the speed limit with not a single car in the left lane and I'll always get the tailgater. My solution is to draw them in a little closer and lock them up! I can always use the "holy shit officer there was a little dog that ran out in front of me" excuse.  Not my problem if the dick behind me was following too close. Not too worried about confrontations I'm on the bigger side of the scale.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
With my truck, I don't get very many. Hmmm. I wonder why?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I slow down until they go around me. Every now and then they'll stay there till i stop. Then i sit there and wait until they go around.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't flip them off until they pass.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Darn, not in before the suicidal darwin candidates who want to slam on the brakes in front of some idiot tailgater.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If their window is down you can empty your ashtray out your window and sometimes the ashes/butts will go right in theirs.  Worked for my dad.  Fast food cup about half full works good too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Speed up and slow down. Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
There is NO SUCH THING as "tailgating" !!!

If your watching the car behind you enough that you think someone is "tailgating" you, then YOU ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!

just fucking drive!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Speed up and slow down. Repeatedly.

I forgot another option - oh well, can't do five.

I like to just slow down more. The more the tailgate, the slower I go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I slow down to let them pass.  

Sometimes I ease off the gas and slow waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy down.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
tap your brakes rapidly so your brake lights go onoffonoffonoff without actually slowing your vehicle.  80% of the time, it seems they get the hint.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Rotate turret to face rearward.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brake check.  Then I wait until they go around me and smile really big and wave.

"Brake check" me and I will stick you on a guardrail!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If your watching the car behind you enough that you think someone is "tailgating" you, then YOU ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!

just fucking drive!

Gee, thanks, einstein.

I suppose that driving on the freeway, when I do my rear view mirror check as I was tought to do, and see someone so close to my bumper a grandmother in a walker could cross the distance, I am the one at fault.

Ah, pure freaking brilliance!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Emergency J-turn....

Double tap to their wind screen...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Do nothing.

I take pity on them.  Traffic, by most basic modeling theories (which are based on fluid dynamics), behaves as a single-dimensional compressible fluid.   It's almost universally agreed that the number one cause of traffic congestion is tailgaters -- not the squid riding the GSXR-1100, not the blue haired geriatric driving the Oldsmobile Cutlass and not the Asian guy doing 10 under the speed limit with his blinker on for 5 miles (sorry, had to get that Family Guy reference in there ).  

I feel bad for the tailgater because he probably believes that he's a superior driver to the other people on the road, probably cursing under his breath at the people supposedly holding him up in traffic, and having all the accoutrements of the typical Jeff Gordon-ite (mullet, wifebeater ....) -- when in fact (if he had more than two brain cells to rub together) he would realize that it is HE who is the cause of traffic jams and gridlock.  

It's essentially like a guy who has a Lorcin and thinks it's a better gun than a Sig P210.  You gotta have some pity for someone like that!

[NB:  I am not bashing NASCAR.  I have been to two NASCAR races at Dover Downs.  I'm just having a little fun at Jeff Gordon's expense.  ]

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brake check.  Then I wait until they go around me and smile really big and wave.

You have issues.

Driving up on someone's ass isn't you're right. It isn't how you're supposed to drive, and it doesn't make you cool or tough. It just makes you a jackass when you do it.

Grow the hell up. You're going to get someone hurt or killed that way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I maintain my speed (I always use cruise on the interstate), and move over a lane when I find a safe spot, then let them pass.

I'm not going to speed up, slow down, or do anything else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Anger management classes?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have issues.

Driving up on someone's ass isn't you're right. It isn't how you're supposed to drive, and it doesn't make you cool or tough. It just makes you a jackass when you do it.

Look out the front windshield you moron.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anger management classes?

once he gets out of sophomore year, I suppose.

How freaking pathetic can you be? What a big man.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#28]
You can't even spell and you're calling someone a moron?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have issues.

Look out the front winshield you moron.

How old are you? 17?

Whatever you're age, it's obvious you have some sort of issues AND you don't know how to drive.

You're supposed to maintain several seconds distance between yourself and the car in front of you.

AND you're supposed to periodically check your rear view and side mirrors several times a minute.

If you just stare out the front window and think you're a good driver, that's just moronic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#30]
When you can move to the right, turn your blinker on. But don't move over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
once i dumped a full can of coke into the windstream.  the 911 following me disappeared into the distance.

generally, I just slow down until they pass
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#32]
None of the above. I drive 5 or even 10 miles below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#33]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

just fucking drive!

Well, if I'm just fucking driving, my situational awareness requires a glance in the mirror occasionally, correct?

If we aren't supposed to look in the mirror to check what's going on back there, what's it there for?

Good, we agree on that one.

Now, during one of those glances, I see some asswipe creating a hazardous situation by riding my bumper.

Ok, so it's not tailgating. What do we call it then?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have issues.

6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Somtimes I will use my turn signal, left, right, doesn't matter, ease off the gas a bit, then speed back up - if they resume/continue to tailgate, then I brake check em.

I'm no slowpoke, but I do stay out of the left lane if there is overtaking traffic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#37]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

just fucking drive!

Oh, I see we have a genius here.  So the state laws reguarding following too closely are just figments of our imgination then?  How 'bout this?  Stay a reasonable distance behind me and I'll complete my pass when I complete my pass.  Riding my ass is not going to make me do it any faster.  In fact, i'll see just how damn slow I can do it, as long as it's only your ignorent self trying to touch my bumper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I watch my mirrors and move over before it becomes a problem.

On a 2-lane I just pull over at a wide spot. I no longer let them ruin my day. It isn't worth it. Besides I don't know why they are in a hurry could be important. As I see them go by I think "Man this is better than getting mad" It is an easy fix to a simple situation also.

I've tried to get my brother to do this but he still lets them bother him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Somtimes I will use my turn signal, left, right, doesn't matter, ease off the gas a bit, then speed back up - if they resume/continue to tailgate, then I brake check em.

I'm no slowpoke, but I do stay out of the left lane if there is overtaking traffic.

ding ding ding ding
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#42]
If I'm in my wife's car I usually open the moon roof and let a few loogies fly
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Slow down to the point that they pass me and then empty a magazine
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#44]
If you have a pet monkey, have it fling feces out the window.  

Next question.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I maintain my speed (I always use cruise on the interstate), and move over a lane when I find a safe spot, then let them pass.

Same here.

Stress kills, by not paying them the attention they feel they deseve, their blood pressure rises and their life shortens - I get to remain calm knowing that they're enduring a little death right behind me.

Last Saturday morning I had the pleasure of seeing a tailgater get pulled over right after he blew by me - it made me chuckle.  Doesn't happen often enough though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Do nothing. they'll get the idea soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Surefire pointed at Six O'clock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't brake check, I downshift.    Really freaks em' out and should the worst happen I already need my rear end repaired so I wouldn't complain overly much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Driving is not a Right but a privelege.

Owning guns is a Right.
Voting is a Right.

Driving is a privelege.

It doesn't make you cool or tough to do brake check on people or throw batteries out the window or any of the other ignorant things mentioned above.

The guy (Most likely ones to be 'tailgating') behind you may have a gun and he may use it on you.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have issues.

Leave ar15.com and never come back.

I wish people like you didn't own guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top