Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/11/2011 12:41:35 PM EDT
I installed my own sinks, everything is ready to go except the drain pipes, it looks like this under neath, I need to connect those together. Keep in mind I'm a plumbing noob with your answers so telling me to use an H valve with a d clamp in a rotary pattern isn't going to help me if you catch my drift.

I need to connect these two together!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
We really need a meme image of Mike Holmes saying "Tear it all down".

Or to put it more gently, theres not really any ideal way to do that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Duct tape and dynamite.

If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Superglue + fleshlight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The piece you need is called a "reducer."
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag, because I know even less than this guy
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd walk into home depot and ask someone.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
a reducer?

Seriously, you can envision the piece that goes there...measure the 2 pipe openings, head to the hardware store, purchase part and PVC glue.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If you know the size of the pipes home depot has the shit to do it. They make reducing connections just for that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Install an adapter on either end to bring them closer together, then duct tape the different.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I would take that photo and some measurements (specifically the pipe sizes) to a decent hardware store, and ask for advice in person.

Tagged for amusement.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You simply need a flange for 1 1/4" pipe which is the drain on the sink and 1 1/2" pipe which is what it connects to at the trap. I have thousands, so does Home Depot.

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said this is common and simple. Go to HD and explain your situation, the fix is like .25
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a "slip joint/coupler" that will fix that, go to home depot and get one.

The pipe on top fits through the coupler and it screws down on the threads on the lower piece.

Search google images for "sink plumbing parts" to see picts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
The threads just off the p-trap are going to mess you up! Get a new lower portion of the p-trap that does not have that male adapter on it. Then use a bushing(reducer) and glue onto your upper pipe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife said the size of the pipe didn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would take that photo and some measurements (specifically the pipe sizes) to a decent hardware store, and ask for advice in person.

Tagged for amusement.

All PVC sink drain is 1 1/2". All tails from the sink are 1 1/4"

Showers/basins=2"
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The threads just off the p-trap are going to mess you up! Get a new lower portion of the p-trap that does not have that male adapter on it. Then use a bushing(reducer) and glue onto your upper pipe.

Wrong
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's the motion in the ocean
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a "slip joint/coupler" that will fix that, go to home depot and get one.

The pipe on top fits through the coupler and it screws down on the threads on the lower piece.

Search google images for "sink plumbing parts" to see picts.

Oh yeah, that's right ^.  It's been years since I installed a sink.  They sell those drain couplers in every hardware store in the faucet/sinks section.  They even accomodate the sink drain plug pop-up mechanism.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My wife told me that I need a reducer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You simply need a flange for 1 1/4" pipe which is the drain on the sink and 1 1/2" pipe which is what it connects to at the trap. I have thousands, so does Home Depot.

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Ignore everything posted in this thread except what I said this is common and simple. Go to HD and explain your situation, the fix is like .25

A little arrogant, aren't you?  A couple posters prior to you have already told him he needs a reducer.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Its a drain, it will work as is
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay married, the sex will reduce automatically

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Asshole to big?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Just make sure they are lined up right, gravity will do the rest
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
1. Take measurements
2. Have a shop machine the piece out of billet aluminum
3. ?????
4. Profit!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
JB Weld
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
No matter what you think is the right solution, it's always gonna mean at least two trips to the hardware store.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No matter what you think is the right solution, it's always gonna mean at least two trips to the hardware store.

Ain't that the truth.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!  I suppose the size of you wallet dosen't matter either?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
A piece of Charlie Sheen's hair will infuse it with pure awesome and connect them in an unbreakable leak proof bond.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

A little arrogant, aren't you?  A couple posters prior to you have already told him he needs a reducer.

Are you new here?

lol

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#32]

All kidding aside, you need a reducer, as was mentioned lots of times before now. Go to your local hardware store, tell them what you are trying to do, and they will give you the appropriate reducer (I would say the 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 is probably accurate, but if the nimrod who build my house built yours, you are better off measuring to be sure!).

A reducer is a piece that has a larger opening on one end than the other, thus reducing the size of the pipe (not to be insulting, I'm just making sure you understand the concept ).

Post up and let us know when you get it resolved, and good job doing it yourself! Feels good, huh?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#33]
A few choices, bondo works
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Are you new here?

lol

Lol.  I think I just never paid much attention to his posting before.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Use this and be done with it

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!  I suppose the size of you wallet dosen't matter either?

She said, and I quote.
" I don't care what size it is you ain't gettin any"

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Is this thread legit? We must be getting trolled...
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

The irony is, he's wrong.
It's not a inch and a quarter fitting coming off of the drain in that photo. It's an inch and a half fitting, for a kitchen sink drain.

The OP doesn't need a reducer. He needs an extension.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
This is an example of why the motto is "Army Strong" not "Army Smart."
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
They sell different sizes tail pieces.  Or get another size trap.  Yeah, reducer might be easier but my experience with plumbing is, it's never as easy as it looks and you never get everything you need in one trip.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Be careful that you don't pick up tubular sized fittings for this.  Make sure you tell them that you have ABS, which is an IPS (iron pipe size) pipe.  If you just tell the guy at HD or the hardware store you need 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 fittings for under your sink, they may just direct you to the tubular stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

It's not a inch and a quarter fitting coming off of the drain in that photo. It's an inch and a half fitting, for a kitchen sink drain.

Um, no. He needs a flange. You are wrong.

This is basic, I mean basic fucking skills.

I gave the answer, now dozens of you can flame me and come up with a new way to make the fucking wheel round.

My 13 year old could do this.

Fuck it. I gave the answer. Go buy extensions reducers JB weld, duct tape go for it.

See the black piece pointing towards the trap????????????? That's 1 1/4" see the fucking "curvy" thing, that's called a trap they are ALL 1 1/2" post 1960's

Sink drain used to be 1 1/4" it is now 1 1/2" showers are 2"

But fuck it, you all go the way you want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Not to be a dick, but if you can't handle this simple task without posting pictures on the internet you probably shouldn't be tackling any plumbing projects in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

flange must have a different meaning than what i've always been taught if you think it's the right fitting for that.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not to be a dick, but if you can't handle this simple task without posting pictures on the internet you probably shouldn't be tackling any plumbing projects in the first place.

It's so simple it's maddening.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

I gave the answer, now dozens of you can flame me and come up with a new way to make the fucking wheel round.

Fuck it. I gave the answer. Go buy extensions reducers JB weld, duct tape go for it.

See the black piece pointing towards the trap????????????? That's 1 1/4" see the fucking "curvy" thing, that's called a trap they are ALL 1 1/2" post 1960's

lol..  the butthurt is soooo  obvious.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My wife , after hearing me read the title of the thread , said " Are you SERIOUS ??"
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 1/4" & 1 1/2" flange.

lol..  the butthurt is soooo  obvious.

You have nothing of value to contribute do you?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top