Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2010 4:52:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Weak side cross draw.

Dont want to ever want to confuse it for your firearm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The agency I work for is a big proponent of the suppost side carry.  We have on the belt and drop leg holsters.  The theory is that if it is on the support side there will be less confusion in the "oh shit" situation.  Personally I forego the Taser and use the thumping stick
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Weak side, cross draw at about 10 o'clock in a blade-tech holster (with a 45-degree cant).  I can access it with either hand this way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Our policy says that a TASER must be carried with a support hand draw (whether its cross draw or straight up is up to the officer).  We do that to minimize the possibility of an officer mistaking his TASER for his gun.  I carry mine with a support hand straight up draw, in a Blackhawk SERPA holster.  Most officers here seem prefer the cross draw, with either the SERPA holster or the hoster that comes with it.

I agree with our policy, its dangerous to have the possibility of confusing drawing your TASER with your gun, and if you draw one with one hand the other other with the other hand, it really cuts down on the possibility of confusion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry weak hand, straight draw. I like to train myself to operate the Taser weak hand only so I do not mistake it for my handgun. I have had some sub-par hits (which were still effective incapacitations), but I'm not sure if I can attribute that to being used by my weak hand or suspect movement.

I like it because it also balances my belt and keeps everything streamlined. Then again ... I practice. I'm not sure if it would work well for other officers. Most guys I know carry it on their center line set up for a strong hand draw.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Taser? Whats that?

ETA: We don't carry Tasers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Policy says opposite of gun side. Straight or cross draw. No thigh holsters allowed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Our department does not regulate how or where to carry it nor are we required to carry one if an officer does not wish to. Drop-leg holsters and belt side holsters are available in the armory if you wish to use them, but again, not mandatory. The only rules we have regarding taser use simply dictate when it is allowed to be deployed (must meet active aggressive behavior) and what parts of the body should be avoided. Pretty simple.

Edit: personal use, I always carry one, weak side, drop-leg.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Weak side, straight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Mexican carry.

Seriously, 11 o'clock on my belt, draw with strong side.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
When I left the department I was working for, we carried them weak side.  It was either on the belt or drop leg holster.  I personally liked the Blackhawk X series Serpa holster, at a slight cant carried on the weak side.
THIS is the holster I had.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
We have both thigh holsters and belt.  Its officer option. Must be worn in a manner that allows it to be drawn by support hand. Basically from the gig line anywhere around the support side.  I carry mine in a Blackhawk SERPA at the 10 o'clock position and love it.  Had the 6005 from Safariland and it sucked balls.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Policy dictates it will be carried weak side-crossdraw.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Taser?

I'm lucky they give us real bullets.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#15]
support side cross draw, per department policy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Policy says opposite of gun side. Straight or cross draw. No thigh holsters allowed.

This

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]
No drop leg/thigh holsters - management doesn't like the way they look to the public (too tactical)

We have three Options

Support side carry / Support side draw (this is how I carry, keeps my gun hand empty)

Support side carry / Primary side draw (crossdraw)

Primary side carry / Support side draw (crossdraw)

All holsters must have a retention hood which locks over the top of the Taser, so the Exoskeleton (sucks), Bladetech (I love), or Safariland with the SLS hood (bulky).  Blackhawk CQC is a no-no.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Weak side cross draw.

Dont want to ever want to confuse it for your firearm.

This.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Taser?

Be lucky they give you bullets. We have to buy our own.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Cross draw in a Serpa
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Taser?

That's a giant +1
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Drop leg support side
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
weak side, on the gun belt crossdraw or straight, we're looking into authorizing droplegs too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Suport side set up for a support hand draw on the belt. I used to carry it cross draw and after a year and a half in the courtroom decided to switch. I did not like leaving my weapon side exposed to draw the taser in confined areas. It took quite a bit of practice, but now I am very comfortable with a left hand draw.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#26]
When I worked in the bag I carried it weak side cross draw in a blackhawk serpa.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Weakside cross draw
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Weak side cross draw by policy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 3:03:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Here you go:

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Must be opposite side of gun by policy. I carry cross draw at 10 o'clock in a Blackhawk Serpa. I can easily get it out with either hand in less than 1 1/2 seconds.

I used to carry in a thigh rig, but I hated that placement. It was a bitch to jump walls in a hurry, I had to adjust it to the top of my thigh every time I got in the car, and it was generally uncomfortable. I still miss the real estate on my belt, but it's the lesser of two evils. I started carrying a PR-24 rather than a standard baton to make up for the space. (sounds weird, but it works for me)
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#31]

What mag holders are those?

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Safariland 773 competition mag pouch with 077BL adapter for 2.25 inch duty belt.

Heres a pic of my old single stack rig with the same type of Safariland pouches. They make these for double and single stack guns. I also use them on my race rig as well just to keep things simple on or off duty.

FYI: I've been using these pouches for years and haven't lost a mag once even when the defendant turdbird needs shampoo. They hold firm and draw easy.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]
weak side......safariland drop holster
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Thanks everyone, that helps.

For those using something besides the Blade-Tech holster, what are you using and what do you like about it?

My agency issues the Blackhawk Serpa. I like the fact that I didnt have to remove all the gear off my rig to install it.   Not having to pay for the thing was also a plus.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

For those using something besides the Blade-Tech holster, what are you using and what do you like about it?

My agency issues the Blackhawk Serpa. I like the fact that I didnt have to remove all the gear off my rig to install it.   Not having to pay for the thing was also a plus.

Good point.

One thing I don't like about it, is it is almost a sidebreak holster, and the problem comes in reholstering. I have a 34" waist, and belt space is at a premium. My holster, worn crossdraw, is butted up against my pistol mag pouch. The taser must be reholstered at an angle, and it doesn't want to go in well because it gets blocked by the mag pouch
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Safariland 773 competition mag pouch with 077BL adapter for 2.25 inch duty belt.

Heres a pic of my old single stack rig with the same type of Safariland pouches. They make these for double and single stack guns. I also use them on my race rig as well just to keep things simple on or off duty.

FYI: I've been using these pouches for years and haven't lost a mag once even when the defendant turdbird needs shampoo. They hold firm and draw easy.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/hp3deputy/Jamie018.jpg

Where is your flashlight?

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.

I have a Serpa also, but the Bladetech has a similar belt mounting system.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Weak side straight draw.  I think by having like this there is a smaller chance of an oopps.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Weak side cross draw
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Support side, support draw. Found that a support side cross draw wasn't very good when you go to sling your rifle and want to draw your TASER. Plus, it doesn't catch your seatbelt when you try to get out in a hurry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

+2.  I do straight draw, couldn't get used to crossdraw.  Most guys do crossdraw though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/hp3deputy/Jamie018.jpg

Where is your flashlight?

I carry a small surefire with lanyard cord in my left pocket at all times, even off duty.  FYI, I keep the light with me even though I'm a day shift traffic officer.  
How many times have we heard officers say, "I work day shift, so I dont need a light?"
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Our department doesn't have a mandate on how, but I carry it support side, set up for support side draw and deployment.  When I did my certification classes and my re-certs I also use my support hand to deploy and train.  I've made several converts at my agency after explaining my reasons why, and after the incident with the BART officer.

Mine is just in front of my radio on my left side.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Non-dominant side, cross draw on gun belt. The TASER holsters blow, get a Blackhawk Serpa. The Serpa comes off the belt without taking everything else off, if you ever need it for something else. Drop legs are a pain in the ass.

-per policy, it cannot be carried on the same side as your pistol. Holster is up to the individual. Dept. issues leather holsters for those who use leather gear. For those who use nylon, you have to get your own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
For those that carry the Blackhawk holster, keep an eye on those screws that keep the body of the holster attached to the clamp that goes on your belt. Mine backed out and I lost my whole rig last night. Luckily, i recovered all the screws and got everything back together with the assistance of some loctite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top