Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 11:50:02 AM EDT
Is there any good working method to break in Army issue boots?
Also, what type of polish would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
About a thousand miles of road-marching should do it.[;)]

Saddle soap,Kiwi.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Black Kiwi.

When i get new boots I wear them to work and take an extra pair to work with me.  I wear my new ones for as long as I can them slip on my old pair when I can take it anymore.  Usually takes me about a five days to break in a pair.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Old barracks wisdom taught that you should soak them in water (wear them in the shower), shake them off, and then wear them until they're soft.

I never did that.  I was in in the days of the DMS (Direct Molded Sole) and the real green jungle boot.  In those days you simply alternated between two pairs of boots during basic to insure that they were broken in by the time you got to your permanent party.

As for polish... Kiwi works best.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated above, wear them all the time.  For your first shine, take a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to get rid of the water resistant coating put on them from the factory as your wax will not stick properly to it.  Then apply and buff like a mad man!  I usually take about 3 hours when I'm buffing a brand new pair of boots and a half hour when I'm just doing touch ups.  Then again, I'm anal when it comes to my boots being sharp  [8D]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have narrow heels so I used to have to buy "narrow" size boots. However, the rest of the boot was way too narrow for the rest of my foot ie mucho painful until broken in.
I've used plain ole' rubbing alchohol on them while wearing them. It makes the leather stretch. However, be warned that it also decreases the service life of the leather upper.

-Rangers lead the way!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top