Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:59:54 AM EST
I'm getting some borderline obscene calls and the caller ID comes up "private caller". Is there a way to block these types of calls? I have an unlisted number and could report it to the phone company but by the time they did anything the immature prankster will have moved on.

Thanks for the help.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:02:08 AM EST
Who did you piss off.

I dont answer calls from blocked numbers
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:04:44 AM EST
I don't answer blocked calls, or any number that doesn't look familiar. I just let them leave a message.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:08:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 7:08:51 AM EST by Dog1]
Some companys have a "Privacy Manager"...Mine does...SBC...

If the number comes up "Unknown Caller" or "Private", it re-directs it to a recording that allows you to accept the call or deny the call...

See if your Telephone company has something like that...I highly recommend it..
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:13:46 AM EST
If I remember you have to call the phone company and have them set it up to block private calls
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:26:26 AM EST
Go to their house and kick 'em in the nuts, then say you'll do it again if they call you again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:26:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:31:18 AM EST
Call blocking and the do not call list have stopped 99.9% of that shit from coming thru
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:33:45 AM EST
you may be able to enable or disable annomyous call rejection (or a similar service) depending on your service provider...

my company uses *77 to enable and *87 to disable that feature... check with your local provider...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:34:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Miss_Magnum:
Look in your landline phone book and in the front of the book they should have a list of * codes and explanations of what they do. If someone is deliberately blocking their number, you should be able to activate a * code (Verizon's was *87, I believe) and it would set "anonymous call rejection" to ON. This would not allow people who deliberately block their number to call you.

Please be aware, though, that there is a difference between "private" and "anonymous" or "unknown." The latter two could simply be someone calling from an area where their caller id information cannot be carried over the trunks and is dropped off. Or they could be calling from a PBX.

If you activate anonymous call rejection and you are still receiving the calls then, yes, you can usually sign up for (at an additional cost to you) a service called "do not disturb" or something similiar. A person calling from an unidentified number will go to a recording telling them to speak their name and identify themselves. The service will then ring your residence and you can listen to the recording of who's calling and decide whether you would like to accept or deny the call.

Hope that helps.

Awesome. The private caller feature is activated and the calls are getting thru. I'll call the phone company tomorrow and see what canb be done. I have a private line and maybe the phone company can trae the call back and let the caller know that they are harrasssing a private line which I believe is up to a $10K fine.

This was great advise unlike folks who said they don't answer the phone. No shit to that. The issue is the hassle of having your phone ring every half hour.

Once again thanks!

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:50:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:56:36 AM EST
I don't block them...I usually just start talking like I know them and tell them in detail about changing the oil in my car, splitting firewood, burning the Fall leaves, pulling nails out of scrap boards...

They hang up quickly. Works for telemarketers too.

MT
Top Top