Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:30 AM EDT
Air admitance valve or running a bunch of pipe to the nearest wall? I'm leaning to the AAV but i dont know how well they work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can not get to an outside wall use a revent kit, it goes on the trap and allows a small amount of air in so the water will flow and not creat a vacum.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
good morning.

you should be able to find a type of vent with a check valve in it at a plumbing supply store.  i do not recall what they are properly called.

the part i am talking about will allow air to pass into it, but not allow air [and fumes] to pass out.

good luck.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]

So the AAV is the way to go then.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Last Kitchen we did, the plumber piped the island sink in 2" PVC to accomodate water volume and still allow air flow.

Do not rish an insinkerator or other disposal without a true vent.

Pete
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
just take the drain pipe and run it down to the beach
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You have a couple of options.

1) Use the AAV. If the line is 1.5" then that is probably the easiest option.

2) Use 2" PVC but only if you are less than 15 feet away from the "main" that you are tying into.

3) Install a "babrber shop loop" this consists of two risers connected to the main and connected to eachother at the top. The tee for the sink connection is hooked to the farthest down stream riser. This allows air from the main to vent to system and keep it from geting airlocked.

My only reservation with AAV's is that they are mechanical with rubber seals. That being the case, the seal will fail eventually and release sewer gas. Not a problem but it should be checked every so often.

Eric Austin
Austin Plumbing
www.austinplumbinginc.com
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You have a couple of options.

1) Use the AAV. If the line is 1.5" then that is probably the easiest option.

2) Use 2" PVC but only if you are less than 15 feet away from the "main" that you are tying into.

3) Install a "babrber shop loop" this consists of two risers connected to the main and connected to eachother at the top. The tee for the sink connection is hooked to the farthest down stream riser. This allows air from the main to vent to system and keep it from geting airlocked.

My only reservation with AAV's is that they are mechanical with rubber seals. That being the case, the seal will fail eventually and release sewer gas. Not a problem but it should be checked every so often.

Eric Austin
Austin Plumbing
www.austinplumbinginc.com

I guess i'll stick to the aav and BTW i'm running 2inch drain anyway because i already had the pipe and the 2inch fittings are cheaper than 1 1/2
thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top