Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 11:42:09 AM EDT
I just bought a surplus medium alice pack (looks new), came with the ALICE suspenders and a frame. Frame is missing the pistol belt part.

Is there anyway I can use the pack without the frame? I have a pistol belt. I know how the suspenders work. Saw a picture in U.S. calvary. So I've got that much figured out. But how do I attack the pack to it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The medium ALICE can be used without the frame....

To attach the frame, look at you pack, there is a pocket type thing at the top, the side that goes towards your back...the top of the frame fits in this...

Now you need the ALICE pack straps...if by ALICE suspenders you mean the combat "Y" harness...that won't fly. You need the dedicated pack straps....

The pack and frame system does not attach to the pistol belt of combat "Y"'s....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You should have a right and left pack strap. Run bottom of pack strap through D-ring on bottom of pack then run the strap through the loop on the bottom of strap. Connect top of the strap to the little metal ring at the top of the pack near the padded area. That's it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok I just don't have the right straps then.

I have the Y ones. Is that just to help bare the weight of the pistol belt? I need to go back tomorrow and find the correct straps.

So I need some alice straps like this? www.uscalvary.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7582&tabID=1&categoryID=75&pos=7

I figured out how to attack it to the frame. I don't have the correct kidney belt. It is missing the "belt". Just a frame with a pad on the back. I need to have the alice straps correct?

I have this right now.
www.uscalvary.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7539&tabID=1&categoryID=75&pos=8

I need something similar to this to use the frame right? www.uscalvary.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5957&tabID=1&categoryID=75&pos=14

I have this frame. www.uscalvary.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=6019&tabID=1&categoryID=75&pos=24
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Your belt and Y straps are whats called LBE (Load Bearing Equipment) or TA-50. You are correct the Y's help distribute the weight...you attach your ammo pouches, canteen, compass, knife or bayonet, buttpack, etc....whatever you need to it. It is completely seperate from the LC-2 pack, whether it be medium or large.

Yes, you need a pair of the LC-2 pack shoulder straps...beware there is a left and a right, they are different. And your pack frame should have a kidney pad, and a simple web belt with quick connect plastic buckle. If it doesn't you need to get those for proper use. Again, you can use the medium pack without the frame, but you do need the LC-2 straps regardless....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
dang, you guys actually did a pretty good job describing how to put this beast together!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]

How do I work this ALICE pack?

Now I've heard of humping the green tick, but this takes the cake!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The frame gets in the way when you go in the prone. I hate the frame. You're better off without it. It basically pushes your face iton the dirt especially when wearing your k-pot.

My unit doesn't even issue the frames.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought you were joining the Army?  They will not only show you how to work it but give you one for free.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I am joining the Army. I got the pack because me and some buddies are doing a 72 mile hike/camp trail before I leave. I already have BDU's, boots, medium alice pack, frame, load bearing tactical vest, pistol belt, and the Y strap.

I was told you had to pay for some of your gear when you get in. Is that true? Guy I talked to even said some guys buy surplus stuff before they go because its cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Stickman90,

What part of WV do you live in?  If you live close to the Kanawha Valley or between there and Princeton, I might be able to set it up for you.

I am in Huntington. So close to the Kanawha Valley. You have some parts for this thing? I need to go back up to Ashland tomorrow and find the correct straps. Other than that I should have everything.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sickmak,
Guy was pulling you leg everything you need will be provided by uncle sam right down to your socks and undies plus anything you bring from home not on their approved list will be locked away until your a full fledged soldier. Two things to think about also,  you only have a wall locker to store your stuff and it has to be set up according to their diagram and not to spoil your fun, but your gonna want to travel light because your going to have a fun welcoming party when you get to basic. At Fort Sill it involved alot of running around while carrying gear, the less of your stuff the better, as they give you plenty and a chance to purchase everything you need in reception.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Almost forgot anything that you might think is a necessity you might want to stock up on at that trip to the p.x. i.e. razor blades, postage stamps, etc as the Drill Sgt. is under no obligation to make sure you get to the px when you feel you need to go. Plus borrowing from your battle builds that team spirit. Strangely enough they did make you us buy sneakers as they have quite an assortment  and they check to see what type you need i.e. stability or motion control. This will probably be the only freedom of expression through fashion you'll get for a good amount of time. Not sure but I think at some point they reimburse you for even that purchase though.  One other thingI'm sure you'll hear from people is to bring locks with you, stuff started missing from people as soon as we hit reception, people who didn't bring a lock that is, don't be one of those people , get a good combo lock and bring it with you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
What type of stuff do you usually need to buy? I am just wondering. Guy I was talking to talked like I would have to buy all of my gear. He was older. Probably late 50's. So maybe it was different then?

Once I am out of AIT and whatever other training what kind of additional items can I purchase? Would buying enhanced gear be a no no? And accessories for my issue weapon?

If I get to keep my gear when I get out (besides weapons) how does all that crap end up at the surplus places?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Sickmak,
For the short term all you really need  there besides what you are siisued is: batteries, flashlight, shoe shine kit, locks, postage and stationary, toiletries(soap , toothpaste, etc..) cough drops if your drill sargeant allows. Also be sure to bring a phone card with you ,g et a cheap one at b.j.s or sams I think they were cheaper than what I was getting at Fort Sill. What not to bring: anything on that contraband list, for whatever reason some people like to tell drill Sgts everything, if you have a walkman, cell-phone, cigarettes etc.., theres a good chance you'll be found and article 15's hurt. Loss of pay, Loss of rank , extra duty, getting smoked, etc.. Go open minded, follow directions, and avoid the obvious assholes and you should ,dare I say it ,have fun. It won't feel  like it at times but you'll look back and think it was.
"Teamwork is the key" will never have quite the same ring to it after basic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Sick,
Almost forgot the additional gear thing, best to wait till you get to your unit. See what everyone else is doing, you really don't wan't to be the only one with a big bowie hanging off your TA-50 and the latest in weapons accessories on your rifle.  When in Rome type of thing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
tag.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#24]
It isn't a straight hike. Your supposed to do 12 miles a day. Only reason I am taking the ALICE is because it was cheap.

The trail is the Kanawha Trace. You've probably heard of it. Its supposed to be easy. I plan on doing it both ways. I want to get used to hiking and running in combat boots as well.

Basically I am trying to do alittle bit of everything to get ready for basic. I have a feeling it won't be that bad. I am already in pretty good shape. Running is my major downfall. Some days I can run 2 miles non-stop. Others only a half mile. Depends on my motivation. Hoping a drill instructor adds in the motivation part lol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/alicepac.jpg

Looks easy when you have the right stuff. I was trying to make that load bearing thing work with it. No wonder it wouldn't work.

Anyway to make an ALICE pack work with a tactical load bearing vest? The ones that hold 6 mags and 2 grenades?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like I am expecting Basic to be much worse than it actually is. I thought I'd be running in boots a lot.

How much do you PT at first?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Already doing 50 push-ups in 1 minute and 40 setups in 1 minute. 12 military style pull-ups.

I have been overdoing the running I think. Everyday would sometimes give me bad shin-splints. Making it very very hard to run. 1 day I did run 2 miles non-stop + another mile walking 1 turn at 2.5 miles. I was amazed. Next time I ran I couldn't. Ankles were hurting badly.

I plan on shipping out around Sept. 15th. Soon as I sell my car I am quiting my job. So I can concentrate on training. Hard. I am hoping I can get through basic fairly easily. Then off to airbourne. And then off to RIP. Hopefully. Still not positive I'll make combat arms because I do have some hearing loss. I will find out Tuesday at MEPS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
36 push-ups - CHECK
47 sit-ups     - CHECK
2 miles run- 16.36...no check yet. But I am sure I could do it by the end of basic.

Standards aren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I think I'll make it through fairly easily.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And then off to RIP.

Are you a DEP'per, and have OPT 40 in your contract? If so, good for you!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't got anything in my contract yet. MEPs is next week for me. DEP??
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#35]
OPT 40 gives you your slot for RIP. Don't count on the recruiter promising you a slot--GET IT IN WRITING!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Sending you an IM, I hope it helps.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
What is DEP?

I have heard ranger recruiters come around at the end of airbourne wanting you to join. I have heard its a bitch to get option 40 in your contract.

If it matters I will also be starting off as an E3 because of college credits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Delayed enlistment or entry...gives you a chance to get a slot for RIP--don't count on recruiters coming around!!

Check your IM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top